Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Collegge

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    That's actually a clever undergrad combo for law school. Are you going through Earth sciences or engineering?
    earth sciences.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    majoring in snow science, hoping to go to law school for environmental law. GPA definitely matters in my case. probably need at least a 3.4.
    Best advice I can give is to go to office hours. This may be obvious, but getting to know your profs is key for the grad school recommendations you're going to need, and could help professionally too. When I was in school, I didn't do this enough.

Shout if you want advice etc on that path. I got sucked into the snow program and haven't really left.

Here is some advice for you to ignore:

A sober freshman year might be tricky. But if you connect with connect with people in and out of the university around skiing/climbing/biking or whatever you'll be ok. Prioritize that over freshman orientation and dorm bullshit. Go to fall climbing and skiing events (films, lectures, volunteer days, whatever) outside the university. Those first few months of dorm life are an extension of tedious high school social patterns. You seem like you're ready to put that shit behind you, so don't be too dismayed if you feel like you're surrounded by children at first. It will fade away as people develop real friendships and realize they have access to a larger, less trivial world. But you don't need to wait for everybody else to grow up. Get the fuck out of your freshman dorm and go find your people. Don't settle for the doofuses that happen to be surrounding you. If you can manage to find some older BC skiing and climbing mentors and make connections in those communities your life will be better in a hurry.

And if you haven't driven across the country before it can be pretty great if you plan it right. There are some good threads here about how to do it, places to eat, etc.

Riding the bus to big sky is a good way to make friends too. Plus if you aren't drinking you can catch the early buses. Fuck i also wish i was starting over in Bozeman.

If you are planning on any study abroad in your Jr year, hit me up.
    I used to speak to freshman classes about how to game the system the right way so you can go learn Spanish or French and just party instead of go to classes.
    The teachers never knew what to think, but the kids would see me later and tell me about how they already discussed it with their parents and counselors.
    I am sure most of the same shit still applies, Covid aside.

Good luck. Bridger was so much fun the time I kicked around there with a few mags and they dragged my ass up The Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

A sober freshman year might be tricky.
    Not with a vehicle. My buddy was sober and the DD for everybody. Loved hanging out and partying, just saw what booze did to his dad and decided his way was a better choice. He hung out though. No judgement, and he drove us everywhere. Popular dude.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Here is some advice for you to ignore:

A sober freshman year might be tricky. But if you connect with connect with people in and out of the university around skiing/climbing/biking or whatever you'll be ok. Prioritize that over freshman orientation and dorm bullshit. Go to fall climbing and skiing events (films, lectures, volunteer days, whatever) outside the university. Those first few months of dorm life are an extension of tedious high school social patterns. You seem like you're ready to put that shit behind you, so don't be too dismayed if you feel like you're surrounded by children at first. It will fade away as people develop real friendships and realize they have access to a larger, less trivial world. But you don't need to wait for everybody else to grow up. Get the fuck out of your freshman dorm and go find your people. Don't settle for the doofuses that happen to be surrounding you. If you can manage to find some older BC skiing and climbing mentors and make connections in those communities your life will be better in a hurry.

And if you haven't driven across the country before it can be pretty great if you plan it right. There are some good threads here about how to do it, places to eat, etc.
    This is basically what my parents told me. Ignore the juvenile bullshit. I'm almost twenty so I'll be a good 2 years older than most of my fellow freshman. I've also partied and drank myself nearly to death already so I'll be skipping that phase of the freshman experience. And I know the sobriety thing will be hard but I'm pretty content to just trip and smoke every once in awhile.
    Finding a mentor and a solid group of touring partners should go a long way and is something I will keep in mind as winter approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Riding the bus to big sky is a good way to make friends too. Plus if you aren't drinking you can catch the early buses. Fuck i also wish i was starting over in Bozeman.
    I hope to get a day in on the tram at least once this season but I don't see myself going up the canyon any more than that. Just too fkn expensive. I do want to make it to Red Lodge one weekend though.

yeah, i've already told myself no opiates, amphetamines, or alcohol.
    I'll post copious tittie pix to obviate potential chemical dalliances.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Best advice I can give is to go to office hours. This may be obvious, but getting to know your profs is key for the grad school recommendations you're going to need, and could help professionally too.
    I concur. When I was an undergrad, only a handful of my undergrom compatriots took advantage of office hours. The best part was, the profs could usually recognize when a student has the ability to figure out the problem at hand, and they'll coach you towards solution, rather than simply giving the answer. I thrived in that environment. Later, I tried the same approach as a graduate TA. My students hated it; those little fucks just wanted the answers.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Nice.

TRG needs more lawyers
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Nice.

TRG needs more lawyers
    I can always switch up and go to dental school.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    The working in a bar business isn't as terrible advice as it sounds, lots of sober people work in bars because it presents a constant reminder of what happens to people when they drink and lose their shit.

Plus, you wake up in the morning with the money you made the night before still in your pocket, which I never experienced in those years but which must be nice.

Good luck SUF, remember, you have a bunch of old fuckups in your corner. fwiw.
    +1000. Tending bar is OK, but a nice chain hotel with an active banquets facility is even better. Solid dependable gratuity included on the paycheque with the opportunity to make more in cash doing the odd tasks for guests in addition to bar service if you and break the old boys club, flexible hours that fit the school schedule, and all the cheap-but-good food you can eat. Great people to work with usually, and some chains like the Hilton used to allowed travel to other countries working in their hotels during summer break (that I never took advantage of )

okay, probably not that one either.
    i was thinking more along the lines of weed, shrooms, acid, X. all in relative moderation, of course.
    Methylphenidate (Ritalin) and Adderall might serve your studies better

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Methylphenidate (Ritalin) and Adderall might serve your studies better
    already prescribed concerta

I can always switch up and go to dental school.
    They also “practice”

At some point you have to do
    . . .

Be happy to show you around a bit once the snow flies. PM anytime and safe travels.
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

College

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    +1000. Tending bar is OK, but a nice chain hotel with an active banquets facility is even better. Solid dependable gratuity on the parycheque with the opportunity to make more in cash, flexible hours that fit the school schedule, and all the cheap-but-good food you can eat.
    Catering for the schools dining service was my go to for 3 years. The hours were flexible , the events were all on campus , and I’d bring back some premium leftovers. As a bonus, when I moved off campus, I used my employee pass to get into the undergrad dining hall and ate like a king , no meal plan needed

Yer gonna do awesome for about a month. You'll be stoked on new friends, classes, new place, outdoors, and you'll be functioning more highly than you ever have before.

After about 4 weeks, the slide will start. You'll be focusing on the fun and not enough on the work. If you don't get yer shit together in the next 4 weeks after that you'll be in a tough place.

4 weeks in sit yourself down, have a conversation in the mirror about priorities, and make sure you don't fall too far toward funandeasy or workandstress.

It's all about the middle path. Don't get in a hole you'll have to dig yourself out of.

Set a

Swing through CO on your way home in the spring. Should be prime season in RMNP which is practically on your way home. Somebody here will met up with you to climb and ski something good, I'll bet. Maybe me, if the timing works.

You can probably get discounted tix/passes through the ski club at MSU.

The best advice i got was to work hard and play hard. College is what you make it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Two jobs I had in college: I was a front desk "attendant" at the only all-female dorm on campus, open 24/7, my freshman/sophomore year. The midnight to 6am shift on Saturdays was all fucking time...Bartended my junior and senior year at a boutique hotel downtown, had a wicked live music scene and one of the biggest Friday happy hours in the city at that time......Good times.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

yeah, i've already told myself no opiates, amphetamines, or alcohol.
    Whatever your vice, moderation in moderation. I personally know more smart folks that smoked their way to dropping out than drank their way to dropping out. But I know some of both.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

I was able to grab a degree plus a couple others while playing and having a job in a couple years. It meant some 24 credit semesters but doable.

Agree with getting to know the profs. Allows me to take 3 classes at the same time by taping lectures.

Summer school for the mother fucking win.

Can you get agog like mountain host at Bridger to offset the cost?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Yer gonna do awesome for about a month. You'll be stoked on new friends, classes, new place, outdoors, and you'll be functioning more highly than you ever have before.

After about 4 weeks, the slide will start. You'll be focusing on the fun and not enough on the work. If you don't get yer shit together in the next 4 weeks after that you'll be in a tough place.

4 weeks in sit yourself down, have a conversation in the mirror about priorities, and make sure you don't fall too far toward funandeasy or workandstress.

It's all about the middle path. Don't get in a hole you'll have to dig yourself out of.

Set a
    RIP

Someone touched on the 4 week mark and I'm going by my daughter's experience now. After 4 weeks the stress of finishing work or studying the night before the due date was killing her. She realized she needed a calendar with all her home work, reading, papers, quizes, and tests clearly noted. By late October she had managed to get a week ahead on her work, from 1 night and the stress level went down drastically. Unlike high school where she studied to the wee hours she now went to sleep early after the first 4 weeks because she was in front of the due dates and was far happier and a much better student. The 2nd semester she took an organizational skills class and got even better at managing her time. She was able to study and work 20-40 hours a week from the 2nd semester on and graduated in 3.5 years (saving big bucks) and then got her masters in another year.