Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

One piece of home gym equipment to rule them all (considering Skierg)

So, I have very limited space in my shoebox house here in Japan to create a home gym. I have kettlebells (pairs) from 4 kilos up to 24 kilos and I have a smart trainer for Zwift. I have about an hour a day to workout and do it first thing in the morning as once I get home from work I just don't have time to workout with young kids in the house.

My home gym/office/gear room is small, and I only have space for one piece of equipment. I don't want a squat rack. I am considering the Concept2 rower or their Skierg, and leaning more towards their Skierg just because I already cycle and trail run daily.

Do you have the Skierg and what do you think of it? Did you buy it but wished you had bought the rower? Or, are you training similarly to me and bought the rower but wished you had bought the Skierg? I would like to hear any thoughts or experiences you have had with either machine.

Cheers
    パウダーバカ!!

Airdyne

Shake weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Shake weight.
    If it comes with one of those hot babes I can work out on - missus (prolly) wont mind me shaggin them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCag...JBSportsOnline

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Airdyne
    I want something different from cycling, and I know this has a different component to it making it different but I have a Tacx Neo and want to get away from cycling. Thanks for the idea though!
    パウダーバカ!!

Squat rack. You have bells and run and/or cycle daily. So a ski erg or rower for what? More types of cardio? A squat rack and barbell are the most versatile thing you don’t own. A ski erg or rower are one trick ponies.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I have a skierg at work as well as the concept 2 rower. The skierg is a great workout but I find it really boring. For intervals or a circuit I like it but I couldn’t imagine spending any amount of straight time on it

I use both skier G and concept 2 at my gym (YMCA) at the direction of my trainer and in other gyms through the years. The skier is a pretty funky motion if you have any type of back issue at all and that's why I've never used it by choice. The skier has the benefit of standing on your feet forcing yourself to stabilize using balance and core and you get full extension in your arms at the end of the stroke. I find the rower to be more ergonomic so theoretically the rower could be used for longer durations at a higher power output. The pulling on the rower is a perfect antidote for those hunched over a computer all day.

Power tower
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Power tower
    x2

Jump rope?

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    Squat rack. You have bells and run and/or cycle daily. So a ski erg or rower for what? More types of cardio? A squat rack and barbell are the most versatile thing you don’t own. A ski erg or rower are one trick ponies.

Basically because I can use this at work, and I typically start using it from Fall. I use my kettlebells throughout the year. I know they say you should do more what you hate (dont spend much time doing as I dont hate weights per say), but I just dont want that in my house is prolly the most honest answer; coming from a track/xc/tri background I think I do prefer set workouts and intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    I have a skierg at work as well as the concept 2 rower. The skierg is a great workout but I find it really boring. For intervals or a circuit I like it but I couldn’t imagine spending any amount of straight time on it

Do you tend to row or use the skierg? Sounds like the skierg for shorter durations. That might be something to consider. Thanks for your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    I use both skier G and concept 2 at my gym (YMCA) at the direction of my trainer and in other gyms through the years. The skier is a pretty funky motion if you have any type of back issue at all and that's why I've never used it by choice. The skier has the benefit of standing on your feet forcing yourself to stabilize using balance and core and you get full extension in your arms at the end of the stroke. I find the rower to be more ergonomic so theoretically the rower could be used for longer durations at a higher power output. The pulling on the rower is a perfect antidote for those hunched over a computer all day.
    I had never considered that about back issues and no I dont have any right now, but am getting older so who knows? But, if that was an issue I wonder if the rower would be similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Power tower
    Now you're talking. I had been considering that as well. My ass can probably barely do a few pullups so that might be worth considering more.

I like the idea fortress mentioned about a jump rope. A mate of mine highly recommends it but it's just something I have not done before so dunno. That I might just have to pick up this week and see as it would only cost a few yennies.

Loving the ideas! Thanks!
    パウダーバカ!!

Like JJJJS said earlier, you're doing loads of cardio already. Get a turbo trainer for the bike in winter and a Pull Up Mate or similar for strength training: https://www.pullupmate.co.uk/

They're sturdier than the cheapo power towers and pack away small so perfect for that love hotel you're living in.

Used to row a lot through college - best exercise you can probably do is rowing, up there for combination of strength and cardio combination. If you can wrap your mind around ergometer workouts - it is the best bang for the buck. That being said, I'm afraid of that thing - seeing those numbers of the pace for 500m is instant feedback and it is a tough workout. Just knowing the pain I've endured on that machine makes me wet my pants.

So what do I have now - indoor bike setup, squat rack...yup I pussed out. If I could wrap my mind around erging again, that is what I should be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmergauerTele View Post
    Used to row a lot through college - best exercise you can probably do is rowing, up there for combination of strength and cardio combination. If you can wrap your mind around ergometer workouts - it is the best bang for the buck. That being said, I'm afraid of that thing - seeing those numbers of the pace for 500m is instant feedback and it is a tough workout. Just knowing the pain I've endured on that machine makes me wet my pants.

So what do I have now - indoor bike setup, squat rack...yup I pussed out. If I could wrap my mind around erging again, that is what I should be doing.
    Heh. This resonates with me. I think I still have ptsd from college crew, which I only did for a year to stay in shape for another sport I was trying to essentially redshirt for. Neither worked out in the end (party scene won.)

Nothing beats the rowing erg workout. Nothing. Which is why my wife and I like to watch the end of the crew races at the Olympics. Everyone looks like they are about to puke and pass out. Good fun.

We dropped the gym membership during Covid and added equipment in the garage. We are already ahead financially. Should have done it years ago. We were soccer/tennis players respectively when we were younger but had moved to endurance stuff - mostly bike/ski/run, wife is a triathlete. Have always had bike trainers (zwift these days). We didn’t really want weights. Bought em anyway cause they help my back, got on a program my lovely wife found, and a year and a half later we are converts. We are both stronger, faster, leaner etc - and we were already quite fit. it’s been amazing. Squat rack and bar, dumbbells, kettlebells. My knees haven’t felt this good in 20 years.

Cannot possibly recommend real weights and leg work enough.

If you can’t be convinced and still want to choose between rowing and skiing erg, I’d say rowing erg all day long. No question. Nothing works your entire body and lungs like that thing. I still kinda want one, kinda don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Jump rope?
    Yes, jump rope FTW! Simple, cheap, packable. I jump rope for 3 minutes twice a day every day. I know you are laughing, but you try to jump rope for 2 minutes without stopping. Harder than it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Squat rack and bar, dumbbells, kettlebells. My knees haven’t felt this good in 20 years.

Cannot possibly recommend real weights and leg work enough.
    I was just thinking my knees have been crabby lately and it’s time for another SS LP run.

Quote Originally Posted by satori View Post

Do you tend to row or use the skierg? Sounds like the skierg for shorter durations. That might be something to consider. Thanks for your insight.

I had never considered that about back issues and no I dont have any right now, but am getting older so who knows? But, if that was an issue I wonder if the rower would be similar?

On the rower your butt/back is fully supported so even though I have low back issues it has never bothered me. It's a classic rowing stroke. The skier G is a squatting motion and then an arm pull, at the bottom of the stroke the hips come back up as the arms raise. There is a lot of movement in it, in several planes of motion. I'm not a xc skier but the lower body motion doesn't feel or look like it's a xc move. Save your back for lifting your kid!

Do you do turkish get-ups? You already have what you need for that.

I want something different from cycling, and I know this has a different component to it making it different but I have a Tacx Neo and want to get away from cycling. Thanks for the idea though!
    I kinda figured that, but I didn't have time for a longer reply and Airdyne is the answer if we're strictly sticking to the thread title. Between the Skierg and the Concept2 I'd definitely get the rower.

My ass can probably barely do a few pullups so that might be worth considering more.
    10 strict pullups is the bare minimum to hold a man card.

eta: You make a big point about having a very limited amount of time to workout. The answer there is microworkouts. 10-15 burpees on the hour from breakfast through dinner; 10-20 jumping lunges+10-20 pushups on the hour; 1-minute plank on the hour; you get the idea. Adjust the volume to suit your individual strength and fitness level. The specific exercises don't matter much, just do whatever you're motivated to do that covers legs/push/pull for 1-5 minutes 8-10x/per day. For general health quick bouts of exercise are way better than exercising for 1 hour and sitting on your ass the rest of the day.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 08-17-2021 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    10 strict pullups is the bare minimum to hold a man card.
    i do not qualify

i'm also guessing that a majority of adult men don't either
    revision: i'm guessing a majority of people can't make that metric

not saying it isn't a worthy threshold, but most folks do not do things everyday that promote that kind of strength

I still qualify! It’s all I have going for me fitness wise atm.

Rower for the win. We bought one during COVID and it still kicks my ass.

Bodyweight is huDge with respect to pullups. Even when my squat/bench/dead total was over 1k 10 dead hang pullups were tough.

I got 3 words for you.
    Rollerblading

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Bodyweight is huDge with respect to pullups. Even when my squat/bench/dead total was over 1k 10 dead hang pullups were tough.
    This is true. It’s pretty easy when you weigh 170 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    i do not qualify

i'm also guessing that a majority of adult men don't either
    revision: i'm guessing a majority of people can't make that metric

not saying it isn't a worthy threshold, but most folks do not do things everyday that promote that kind of strength
    Fine, 5 for the bare minimum.

I never said most men would qualify. I don't doubt that most wouldn't given the rates of obesity in this country. However, if you're not obese and/or elderly it really doesn't take that much dedication to get there. We're literally talking about minutes per week. OTOH, if you're cool with watching 5% of your muscle mass dissolve away every decade after 30, rock on.

Quote Originally Posted by 3s View Post
    I got 3 words for you.
    Rollerblading
    On a treadmill.