Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 9990 is 86'd

i bet east vail chutes which are accessed almost solely from Vail have a similar death count as the 9990 gate.

There are other examples as well. I don't think closing that gate will have the desired effect Vail execs hope, but they'll be able to say the person ducked a rope because that's what I'm guessing the closure will push more people to do.

Those were great films!

Can't you traverse above harmony after going out the gate and then skin up the trees above lazy day?

I didn't know houses were ALL the way up there though, that's crazy. Buy a Colony house = access solved.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Snowbird has a gate on public land that accesses public land and is rarely open. Where’s the outrage?
    You can access the backcountry terrain next to Snowbird pretty easily by skinning from White Pine. If you live on the PC side there is no longer a (safer) way to access any of the upper BCC terrain without driving a long ways or slogging/sledding up to Guardsman.

How is it that ski areas can so tightly regulate people leaving their land/land use permit? Is that just part of the land use permit?
    It seems odd. Not only that, they are not responsible for you or your safety if you leave. I know gates opening and closing has long been a thing, but shouldn't just be a very strong suggestion?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

It puts the burden on the local SAR folks, which has some implications too. It puts other people in harm’s way.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Thought the discussion over backcountry access in the states was settled in the '90s? (it's our land, the taxpayers).

What changed? People die every year skiing these lines.
    The ski area and that gate are on private land, no?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I've booted it before. It's steep and shitty and you are hanging out on top of Big Mac and below some big-ass cornices. It's not a place an experienced backcountry skier would choose to access the ridgeline as their default, given the other options in the area. It's not great for either safety or convenience.

Maybe there's a clever way to put a skinner in that didn't occur to me while I was booting it, but I didn't see it.

If Vail gave a shit about the skiing public, they would've moved the gate to the dirtbag skinner at the top of Saddleback. But if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
    Yeah no clever way for the top section, not bad was in reference to the lower bushwhacking. I haven't done it in over ten years, not since The Canyons sold $250 UofU student/employee season passes and I've long since stopped caring about touring from resorts, which doesn't make it any less shitty for those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Heh.
    That 'splains it all.

Avi lifeguards will work. Sitting on a tower and asking people about their beacons and gear. Just saying.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    You can access the backcountry terrain next to Snowbird pretty easily by skinning from White Pine. If you live on the PC side there is no longer a (safer) way to access any of the upper BCC terrain without driving a long ways or slogging/sledding up to Guardsman.
    I never ski the backsatch, one day at pcmr, 2 at deer valley and never skied the can in 20 years here so not super knowledgeable about this area besides the bad press. It seems to me there’s still a gate from the canyons to access terrain. Might not be as easy as it was previously but you still needed a ticket to access. Access can’t be longer than white pine lot to top of even scotties which is some of lowest hanging fruit accessible from that lot. I’m also not saying that Snowbird should have an open boundary policy like Alta does. Just pointing out that there’s another resort, who’s land at that gate is on leased FS land, that restricts access.

I also have friends who’ve been involved in the recovery missions in this area. And every time there’s a call to that zone the frustration is beyond visible. They’ve been on plenty of other missions, that are equally traumatic. But the repetition in this zone combined with the level of skier who’s dying there is certainly a contributing factor.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Avi lifeguards will work. Sitting on a tower and asking people about their beacons and gear. Just saying.

Right? If they have the ability to flat out close the gate, they have the ability to limit access to only those with the proper gear. It obviously wouldn’t be a catch all, but would weed out a lot of people who have no business going out the gate. They seem to have no issues paying people to stand in the middle of groomers waving fingers, what’s the difference?

That’s what I was saying. A gate that only opens to someone with a transmitting beacon.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Let’s be honest, we are all just jealous we can’t have a house at the top of peak 5.

Rideit- i think he meant it’s easy for the powers at be to have some patrollers sitting at the gate and giving people shit if they don’t have gear. Since teh trg loves anecdotes, From my experience and observation, it is very effective.

That is the absolute last thing a patroller wants to spend his time doing.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

What is the body count out of that gate?

Bird policy basically no?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Bird policy basically no?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    no the bird requires a partner too
    it is very much like solis new fantasies ridge policy
    cept you can still go solo
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    search here not twitter you fuckin twat
    https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanches/fatalities
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    That is the absolute last thing a patroller wants to spend his time doing.
    ^ This. On top of a peak, in weather. FTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    ^ This. On top of a peak, in weather. FTS.
    Playing police to mouthy know it all tourists from Jerzeystan/Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    As near as I can figure based on SLT articles, about ten in the past 20 years. Approximately one-quarter of all avalanche deaths in Utah among skiers and snowboarders during that time were people who went out that gate.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Playing police to mouthy know it all tourists from Jerzeystan/Florida.
    I thought this, too. But, then I remembered that the people who died last year at The Can., and in most slides in the Wasatch, were Utards.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

How is it that ski areas can so tightly regulate people leaving their land/land use permit? Is that just part of the land use permit?
    It seems odd. Not only that, they are not responsible for you or your safety if you leave. I know gates opening and closing has long been a thing, but shouldn't just be a very strong suggestion?
    The "how is it" is not that they can keep you in, it's that they can pull your pass if you go and not let you back in.

This gate's on private land fwiw

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    As near as I can figure based on SLT articles, about ten in the past 20 years. Approximately one-quarter of all avalanche deaths in Utah among skiers and snowboarders during that time were people who went out that gate.
    The most tragic story I read was that young couple who got nailed out there about ten years ago with their 2 or 3 year old back in day care.

25% is a bad look. Should have been closed sooner.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    they were my dads neighbors for a decade and i knew them fairly well
    the weirdest is he was a dive master/shop owner but couldnt figure out bc safety protocols or bother with equipment
    and that kid started skiing at less than 1 yo
    i bet he rips if he staid with it
    and id be stoked to shred with him
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno