Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 9990 is 86'd

9990 is 86'd

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Why not a beacon-activated gate? Seems so simple, so it will never happen.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Epic pass creates conditions for locals to not have nice things. Or, cant they scan peoples RFID passes as they leave the boundary, and that would turn their pass off until they checked in with ski patrol after their lap. Basically make it an arduous process.

Peak 5 is open, so you still have access. It's just a slower chair and a longer walk.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Why not a beacon-activated gate? Seems so simple, so it will never happen.
    Peak 5 access seems simple enough to me.

Obviously you have never ventured out of the Peak 5 gate. Effectively, this will reduce 90% of backcountry access from PCMR.
    Perfect to keep people away from the avi umbrellas in MacDonald's
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

So, you need to be a ‘troller to get the goods..,
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Obviously you have never ventured out of the Peak 5 gate. Effectively, this will reduce 90% of backcountry access from PCMR.
    Perfect to keep people away from the avi umbrellas in MacDonald's
    Having a lower gate doesn't reduce access it changes it. Are you saying skiers can't skin up to the ridge line from Peak 5? Why not?

Glad I left when I did... Peak 5 will still be a liability as the tourons drop into python chutes without realizing how steep And deadly they can be.

Sent from my SM-N986U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Not only that, but the skin unto the Ridgeline is a huge hassle and dangerous. It's been a while and I need to poke around there more this year, but initially you encounter that craggy bushwhacking, and then I think that you need to skin up MacDonald's which is prone to avalanches. There is a reason why 9990 is/was used by 99.9% of the people accessing that terrain. Can you imagine trying to access square top, or anything North from Peak 5? Sound of Music....buh-bye.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.10.40 AM.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	382516
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

So I'm correct, a lower gate doesn't reduce access it changes it.

I've only been there a handful of days but I've seen some dumb ass shit around that gate. Can't say I'm surprised.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    So I'm correct, a lower gate doesn't reduce access it changes it.
    Right, they just changed it, by reducing it. They went from two gates, to one. That's literally the definition of reducing.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Damn shame.
    I worked on this last time I was there:

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Right, they just changed it, by reducing it. They went from two gates, to one. That's literally the definition of reducing.
    I get your point and you are right, but Shindler said it's reduced by 90%, not 50% (2 gates to 1) so I was asking him essentially is the BC zone reduced 90%, as in honestly asking can you not get to the top to access it anymore and that's why it's 90% less or is it still 100% accessible, just different?

I meant that Probably only 10%, if that, the people who accessed the back country from 9990 will be accessing it from peak five in the future

Mission accomplished

Thought the discussion over backcountry access in the states was settled in the '90s? (it's our land, the taxpayers).

What changed? People die every year skiing these lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Thought the discussion over backcountry access in the states was settled in the '90s? (it's our land, the taxpayers).

Nothing changed.

This gate is on private property -- it's not your land. No one is closing BC gates on public land.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post

It is still public land and you can still ski those lines, you just can't access them using PCMR private land/lift on 9990.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    It is still public land and you can still ski those lines, you just can't access them using PCMR private land/lift on 9990.
    The lines that are killing people are on public land. The gate is on private land according to every article. A map where green and blue are public land: https://caltopo.com/p/0U1JE

You still can access the lines using PCMR lifts and land. Just from a different location.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Nothing changed.

This gate is on private property -- it's not your land. No one is closing BC gates on public land.
    Snowbird has a gate on public land that accesses public land and is rarely open. Where’s the outrage?

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Not only that, but the skin unto the Ridgeline is a huge hassle and dangerous. It's been a while and I need to poke around there more this year, but initially you encounter that craggy bushwhacking, and then I think that you need to skin up MacDonald's which is prone to avalanches. There is a reason why 9990 is/was used by 99.9% of the people accessing that terrain.
    It's not bad with climbing skins but lots of kick turns means too many people will wash the skinner out. It's a long walk for a booter.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    It's not bad with climbing skins but lots of kick turns means too many people will wash the skinner out. It's a long walk for a booter.
    I've booted it before. It's steep and shitty and you are hanging out on top of Big Mac and below some big-ass cornices. It's not a place an experienced backcountry skier would choose to access the ridgeline as their default, given the other options in the area. It's not great for either safety or convenience.

Maybe there's a clever way to put a skinner in that didn't occur to me while I was booting it, but I didn't see it.

If Vail gave a shit about the skiing public, they would've moved the gate to the dirtbag skinner at the top of Saddleback. But if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    If Vail gave a shit about the skiing public
    Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Damn shame.
    I worked on this last time I was there:

Those Ostness films are my favorite ski movies of all time.
    dirtbag, not a dentist