Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    15,845

    what to replace old dead bike computer with?

    road bike ques

    i had a cateye strada double wireless bike computer that has aged out & isn't repairable/replaceable since Cateye doesn't make them anymore & has no more overstock

    i'm not particularly aware of what's current

    i'd like something that works both on the road & on a trainer
    to date, i've basically used the computer to get speed & cadence. I get mapping, HR & elapsed time from my watch.

    crank power meters look intriguing
    never rode with power, but don't consider it essential

    what's out there?

    (don't particularly want to put $1000 towards replacing a $100 item...)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    10,116
    You could just go withoutÖ


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    7
    It gets expensive quickly so you'll have to figure out wants/needs. That said, power is a great tool for training to improve performance. My decisions were based on adding power data to my riding/training.
    I was able to find a Garmin 830 on craigslist for a third or retail...more than I need but it has been great for training and riding. I didn't think I'd use the mapping (integrates with trailforks) but it is nice to not have to reach for my phone very often. Any of the Garmin 500 series (530) includes everything you listed plus power. Of course you'll need a power meter to feed the computer...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    15,845
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You could just go without…
    that has been the result here the last few days
    so it may stick

    sometimes data is annoying, but i often find it more useful than irritating
    or just addicting

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    7,752
    Do you ever wish you could have turn-by-turn instructions?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    15,845
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Do you ever wish you could have turn-by-turn instructions?
    that work?





    no, not really

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    10,116
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    that has been the result here the last few days
    so it may stick

    sometimes data is annoying, but i often find it more useful than irritating
    or just addicting
    I gave up bike computers in the early Ď90s. Itís been refreshing


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    4,137
    I like having max speed and a clock


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    289
    I replaced an Edge 500 (bar mount Garmin) w/a Fenix 5 (watch), and mostly donít miss having a display on the bar itself. If I did, Iíd just put the watch on the bar (I use a chest strap for HR, so no need for it on my wrist).

    All other functionality of the head unit is supported by the watch. When Iím riding (in or outdoors) I really only care about HR & Cadence.

    If your watch does GPS & HR, it likely can also support Speed & Cadence sensors. You may be able to get there with cheap sensors from AMZN for $25ish. If not, consider this a good time to upgrade watch/ditch cycling computer?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    15,845
    watch is apple watch 3
    i don't think they pair with added sensors unfortunately

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    289
    Sorry, I think you're right -> no ANT+ on the Apples.

    At the same time, I do have an Edge 500 (not charged/powered up in a couple years) just taking up space in my riding pack if you want to give that a go to test whatever sensors you're considering...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    614
    I bought an Garmin 520 and Stages DA (one sided) power meter and they have paired up to give me all the data I need.
    I also started wearing a HR monitor chest strap for that data too. Came from Cateye computer so like entering the 21st century.
    Purchased refurbished from manufacturer (they look new) for around $500.00 total.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    9,634

    what to replace old dead bike computer with?

    Just picked up the updated ELEMNT Bolt, itís incredible. I was already familiar with the product, but Iím still blown away how easy it is to set up on the app. It pairs sensors in seconds. Full color screen, with colored power and HR zones, so sick. The new version also has way improved navigation. Itís so easy to load rides from Strava and Ride with GPS, which is how more and more gravel events are run these days. I canít live without a kick-ass head unit.
    crab in my shoe mouth

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    7,752
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Just picked up the updated ELEMNT Bolt, it’s incredible. I was already familiar with the product, but I’m still blown away how easy it is to set up on the app. It pairs sensors in seconds. Full color screen, with colored power and HR zones, so sick. The new version also has way improved navigation. It’s so easy to load rides from Strava and Ride with GPS, which is how more and more gravel events are run these days. I can’t live without a kick-ass head unit.
    ^^
    This joker gets it

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    ^^
    This joker gets it
    ^^ Maybe, but he spent $400 when all he really needed was a "Lap" button.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    15,845
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    At the same time, I do have an Edge 500 (not charged/powered up in a couple years) just taking up space in my riding pack if you want to give that a go to test whatever sensors you're considering...
    That's generous, thank you -- I think I need to figure out some stuff first
    Quote Originally Posted by gforce View Post
    I bought an Garmin 520 and Stages DA (one sided) power meter and they have paired up to give me all the data I need.
    I also started wearing a HR monitor chest strap for that data too. Came from Cateye computer so like entering the 21st century.
    Purchased refurbished from manufacturer (they look new) for around $500.00 total.
    I had eyeballed the Stages crank arms -- how do you like it? Any thoughts on whether it feels like half a solution? [single vs crankset]
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Just picked up the updated ELEMNT Bolt, it’s incredible. I was already familiar with the product, but I’m still blown away how easy it is to set up on the app. It pairs sensors in seconds. Full color screen, with colored power and HR zones, so sick. The new version also has way improved navigation. It’s so easy to load rides from Strava and Ride with GPS, which is how more and more gravel events are run these days. I can’t live without a kick-ass head unit.
    It sounds like this is just the head unit. So I'd still need to look at which kind of sensor works.
    Not so tied into directions/gps at this point, but those features do look robust. Are you using wahoo sensors?


    in the KISS realm, i'm coming off a speed/cadence sensor & old simplistic head unit which fully covers my "needs"...every else is gravy
    are these other things so next-level that you can't live without them now that you've used them?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,260
    I think you might be looking at it backward? To me, if you require heart rate/power/robust mapping then a fancy head unit is a must. But if you don't need/want it, I don't think using the head unit would convince you otherwise.

    On the power meter question - at this point, you'd be fine with single-sided unless you're aware of a big muscle imbalance between your legs or really heavy into training? Double-sided is of course better/more accurate, but lots of people do just fine with single-sided.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    [a] Van [down by the river]
    Posts
    1,455
    I've been using a variety of single sided power meters for... probably since stages first dropped theirs. mostly what ^^^ said. good enough to track fitness and training. I won't get power imbalances, but not sure how I'd train out of that anyway.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    15,845
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    I think you might be looking at it backward? To me, if you require heart rate/power/robust mapping then a fancy head unit is a must. But if you don't need/want it, I don't think using the head unit would convince you otherwise.

    On the power meter question - at this point, you'd be fine with single-sided unless you're aware of a big muscle imbalance between your legs or really heavy into training? Double-sided is of course better/more accurate, but lots of people do just fine with single-sided.
    i do have a ridiculous imbalance that i'm working on: loss of nerve function in left lower leg (my left leg is noticeably smaller)
    that aside, i'm not a pro athlete nor even a competitive age grouper or categorized rider, but i am actively training to recover my lost fitness from the nerve problem
    so, ok on the single

    power is very intriguing for training -- i am aware of its benefits
    but is it essential?...eh, if i can get into it at $500, sure...if it's more like $1k, then speed/cadence is fine...i can always invest later too if training progresses

    Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    I've been using a variety of single sided power meters for... probably since stages first dropped theirs. mostly what ^^^ said. good enough to track fitness and training. I won't get power imbalances, but not sure how I'd train out of that anyway.
    i appreciate the pov

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    7,752
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    power is very intriguing for training -- i am aware of its benefits
    but is it essential?...eh, if i can get into it at $500, sure...if it's more like $1k, then speed/cadence is fine...i can always invest later too if training progresses
    Single sided power can be had for less than $400 if you have the right cranks. You can send an arm to Stages or 4iiii and they will install.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,260
    Huh. It might make sense to go with a double meter if that's the case. L only would mean all your workouts would be based on the power your L side puts out. Kind of neglecting your stronger R leg/skewing your power numbers. Plus, with 2 meters you could see how much work each leg is doing, so, as you train, you could track your L leg getting stronger.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    9,634

    what to replace old dead bike computer with?

    I use Assioma Duo pedals on my road bike as my power meter, they have cadence built in. I use the wahoo arm band HR monitor and on my MTBís and Gravel rig I use wahoo speed and cadence sensors. The wahoo app shows all my pedaling dynamics from the Assioma pedals, left/right balance, pedal smoothness, torque effectiveness. Iím sold
    crab in my shoe mouth

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    15,845
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Single sided power can be had for less than $400 if you have the right cranks. You can send an arm to Stages or 4iiii and they will install.
    yeah, i did find this today

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    15,845
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I use Assioma Duo pedals on my road bike as my power meter, they have cadence built in. I use the wahoo arm band HR monitor and on my MTB’s and Gravel rig I use wahoo speed and cadence sensors. The wahoo app shows all my pedaling dynamics from the Assioma pedals, left/right balance, pedal smoothness, torque effectiveness. I’m sold
    50hrs btwn recharges isn't too bad

    crank type seems to be about 100hrs with replaceable battery


    The failure that instigated this thread was that the coin slot turn divot for replacing the battery on the speed/cadence unit was deformed and stuck. If i could open it, it would be somewhat worthless putting it back on given its mutilation. I did find an amazon/ebay option to replace just that item, but it seemed time to step back and ask about where tech is right now & reconsider my options since the product itself is no longer available from the manufacturer.

    the whole CR-2032 replacement process does give me pause wondering what the service life of these units really is

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    [a] Van [down by the river]
    Posts
    1,455
    Now that i'm sitting at my computer, some more thoughts on power meters and different types.

    I don't love the idea of pedal based power meters purely on the fact that a) I can trash them (in a crash), and b) the bearings will eventually need to be done. Crank arm power meters will more or less last forever. Benefit of pedals is, if you're in the world of renting biking, they are easy to bring with... so +1 in that regard (or swapping between bikes, but who really does that?).

    Back to single sided vs double sided. It's not really the hard numbers you are after, it's more about the trends over time vs effort. So if you're left leg is weaker, sure your numbers are not perfect, but if you're just looking at absolutes, it's not particularly valuable anyway (unless you're just trying to determine your w/kg against other riders). Your weaker or stronger leg will get stronger/weaker as your strength/fitness goes up/down, so that will get reflected when training. You will eventually come up with an FTP which is sort of leg specific, then use your zones to train accordingly. The fact that the one leg is weaker doesn't make those metrics or that training any less valuable.

    The advantages of double sided are: leg imbalances, and perfecting your pedalling technique per foot (torque efficiency and pedal smoothness). A left side will give you the latter (only for the left foot), but I find when i'm dragging my feet on my torque efficiency, I'm probably doing with both feet equally enough. At that point, it's a question of, is the double sided going to give you any glaringly obvious metrics around your imbalance, and will you work on 1 leg training exercises to balance it out.

    For me, I wouldn't bother, I would assume most of us are in the 55/45 range, and I just don't care enough to spend the money/time. The left foot definitely reads lower than my right, but again, it's about the trends across ride. I still find the one sided toque efficiency super helpful and I love the clean aesthetics of the single sided power meter.

    for reference, when stages was first doing their launch in the single sided world, team sky was running single sided power meters during the tour. Granted, they weren't training at the time (but racing), but they are still trying to follow some metrics. dcrainmaker has some good thoughts on the topic as well.

    also. edge 520 is still a great device if you want to live in the garmin world.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •