Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

California serial arsonist caught and hopefully put to sleep

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/11/10267...nia-dixie-fire

What a sick fuck. I would take great pleasure in him dying of a slow painful death.
    Hello darkness my old friend

Wow. Good job by the FS tracking this sick fucker down.

Holy shit!

His teaching and research, the school said, focuses on topics that include the "sociology of health, deviance and crime" and environmental sociology..

Since Maynard's car was registered in San Jose, Bolen also contacted the San Jose Police Department, which passed along a 2020 warning from a colleague who had reported her concern for Maynard's well-being, citing a severe mental health crisis
    Apparently this guy had a thing for Jim Jones

https://jonestown.sdsu.edu/?page_id=16551

and the image change in the last few years would seem to support the mental health crisis theory:

Dr. Maynard the professor
    Name:  Gary-Maynard-Head-shot-color.jpeg
Views: 752
Size:  24.7 KB

Dr. Maynard the arsonist
    Name:  maynard-gary-081121%20(1).jpeg
Views: 763
Size:  29.5 KB

I'm damn glad he got caught and impressed by the effort the FS put in to get evidence that will allow a conviction.

It's scary how far people can go off the deep end.

Wowww

Last I heard, PG&E is still on the loose, starting fires with reckless abandon, and holding a pardon from the governor.

On a related topic, the state still has an unlimited liability law for fire starters, so I expect I'll be charged for PG&E's fire starts. I get it that PG&E shouldn't start fires (or at least very few), but it seems a bit ridiculous to blame them for our tinder-box, dry, half-dead forests and property therein.

It's odd that if an arsonist starts a fire it costs me nothing, but if PG&E does, I'm on the hook for $25 billion (and counting). That's a broken law.

eta: Good they caught this guy, and they should look at charges for endangering firefighters.
    Last edited by LongShortLong; 08-11-2021 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Apparently this guy had a thing for Jim Jones

https://jonestown.sdsu.edu/?page_id=16551

and the image change in the last few years would seem to support the mental health crisis theory:

Dr. Maynard the professor
    Name:  Gary-Maynard-Head-shot-color.jpeg
Views: 752
Size:  24.7 KB

Dr. Maynard the arsonist
    Name:  maynard-gary-081121%20(1).jpeg
Views: 763
Size:  29.5 KB
    Well, that's kind of cold. Covid beard, well trimmed, probably dragged out of bed with sleep hair, and, if course, kind of pissed. as most mug shots are. Bulletproof vest, though. Nice touch.

Kind of young to be an ex professor.

I manage a government-funded network a minuscule fraction of the size of PG&E's grid and it's a monumental challenge to keep up on all of the maintenance, updates, and incidental work to keep the equipment in spec. Could they do a better job? No doubt, given adequate resources, but reckless I think would be hard to make stick.

Get that arsonist a cot behind bars and some mental health services.

Serial incel.

Mental heath problems. He will get a rubber room and lots of meds.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Kind of young to be an ex professor.
    Prison term has a tendency to put a dent in your career history anyway.

That's insane if you look at his movements how many fires he's potentially connected to. Glad they caught the fucker.

On a related note, we had a little firebug professor around here too:

https://www.durangoherald.com/articl...y-market-fire/

There was also a fire set in the office of one of his colleagues whom he did not get along with several years ago; maybe it's an academia thing.

Either way, pretty young to be an ex-professor.

Good work by USFS LEOs
    Starting fires to trap firefighters is next level heinous
    Guessing PG&E’s insurance carriers are breathing a sigh of relief

What a fiasco. This is rekindling my youthful resentment of teachers and professors.

Put him under the prison.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    What a fiasco. This is rekindling ...
    I see what you did there

After conviction, can we burn him at the stake?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I would think that based on how many firefighters lives he put at risk a couple of hundred attempted murder charges shouldn't be too far fetched. Maybe just let each one of them take a swing at this guy and then let everyone that was burned out take a swing and let everyone that has had to breathe shit air for a few months take a swing, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I would think that based on how many firefighters lives he put at risk a couple of hundred attempted murder charges shouldn't be too far fetched. Maybe just let each one of them take a swing at this guy and then let everyone that was burned out take a swing and let everyone that has had to breathe shit air for a few months take a swing, etc...
    They can beat on him with McLeod’s, that should show him

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Last I heard, PG&E is still on the loose, starting fires with reckless abandon, and holding a pardon from the governor.

On a related topic, the state still has an unlimited liability law for fire starters, so I expect I'll be charged for PG&E's fire starts. I get it that PG&E shouldn't start fires (or at least very few), but it seems a bit ridiculous to blame them for our tinder-box, dry, half-dead forests and property therein.

It's odd that if an arsonist starts a fire it costs me nothing, but if PG&E does, I'm on the hook for $25 billion (and counting). That's a broken law.

eta: Good they caught this guy, and they should look at charges for endangering firefighters.
    I echo the endangering firefighters. Should at least get attempted murder.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    After conviction, can we burn him at the stake?
    Glad it wasn't just me thinking that. Do that to arsonists and I think you may have less of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I manage a government-funded network a minuscule fraction of the size of PG&E's grid and it's a monumental challenge to keep up on all of the maintenance, updates, and incidental work to keep the equipment in spec. Could they do a better job? No doubt, given adequate resources, but reckless I think would be hard to make stick.

Get that arsonist a cot behind bars and some mental health services.
    I've worked on miles and miles of PG&E lines through some of the ruggedest country available. It's a massive operation employing hundreds of people working their asses off in bad weather and on treacherous ground. Most of the lines I worked on were over a hundred years old, and remarkably well-maintained . . . but surrounded by forests and cliffs and subject to extreme weather. People who say 'just bury them' have clearly never walked the high country and canyons or had much to do with boring equipment and how to get it into those places. Yes, PG&E is guilty of a great many things (besides fires) and should pay the price, but the answer isn't easy.

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    but the answer isn't easy.
    Actually, I think it is: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...-and-efficient
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Glad it wasn't just me thinking that. Do that to arsonists and I think you may have less of them.
    Same with child molesters..cut.off their junk....(yeah I know there are women ones too I haven't gotten to their punishment yet). Seems the punishment should fit the crime in nearly every instance to me, but you know.....criminals still have "rights" bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    I've worked on miles and miles of PG&E lines through some of the ruggedest country available. It's a massive operation employing hundreds of people working their asses off in bad weather and on treacherous ground. Most of the lines I worked on were over a hundred years old, and remarkably well-maintained . . . but surrounded by forests and cliffs and subject to extreme weather. People who say 'just bury them' have clearly never walked the high country and canyons or had much to do with boring equipment and how to get it into those places. Yes, PG&E is guilty of a great many things (besides fires) and should pay the price, but the answer isn't easy.
    It only seems feasible to bury elec in cities and new developments. Those long lines you work on will always exist for exactly the reasons you state.

Do we have the technology and equipment to bury it all? Sure but the cost might be debatable. You'd likely be asking the entire US to foot part of the bill for something that will never happen to them..covid showed us a lot of Americans are far from that compassionate.