Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I was planning on staying at the Movenpick hotel in Zurich the night before my return flight but just learned that they are not running an airport shuttle at the moment. Anyone know what hotels run an early morning airport shuttle (flight is at 630a, so at least 5am)?

Otherwise, I could probably book a taxi but there are 3 of us with ski bags and duffles and I’m concerned about room.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    A few years back stayed at a Geneva hotel close to the airport that offered a shuttle service.

Turned out it didn't run early enough for our check in.

A minivan taxi was organized by hotel.

After a 5 minute drive for four of us, luggage and two ski double ski bags the driver demanded 150 Euros "because of all the luggage"

He attempted to drive off with our bags when we demurred. We unloaded while he was prevented from getting back into the driver's seat.

Gave him 20 Euros and invited him to call the cops to come find us in the terminal.

He didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Found a time table online for the Hilton shuttle: https://www3.hilton.com/resources/me...le_Mar2020.pdf

Starts at 5am and takes 40 minutes….? Must make stops at other hotels?
    That makes no sense. Thanks for finding that. I'll dig into that before booking. Looks like about a 3 minute drive so makes no sense.

You can also take the public bus to/from the Zurich airport Hilton in Kloten. The 759/768. It's faster because it runs more often and is so close (2 stops to Kloten Balsberg Hardacher), you don't even have to pay. The bus stop is walking distance to the Movenpick too, about 5' (also about 5' from the bus stop to the Hilton).

But for an early AM flight from the hotel to the airport, you might want to take the shuttle, just ask at the desk and they'll arrange it. I think you have to pay, but it isn't super duper expensive - maybe 5 fr PP or so? Can't remember.

From the airport to the hotel, don't get bamboozled into the multihotel shuttle that isn't the official Hilton shuttle - it looks official, but it isn't the Hilton shuttle, and they'll charge you 15-20 francs PP for that 3 minute drive, plus they're rude predatory motherfuckers.

Opfikon is nearby (walking distance) and actually a nice little town to walk around, with a forest. Check out the llama sanctuary. Kloten has an Aldi right next to the hotels where you can get food and alcohol.

Found a time table online for the Hilton shuttle: https://www3.hilton.com/resources/me...le_Mar2020.pdf

Starts at 5am and takes 40 minutes….? Must make stops at other hotels?
    Not 40 minutes. 3 minutes. First shuttle at 5AM, next at 0540 then departures on the half hour.

EDIT TO ADD: Well, for the public bus you ought to pay if you're gonna be a purist about it, but they won't bug you for your ticket if you get on from the back door and hop off two stops later.
    Last edited by Tri-Ungulate; 02-27-2022 at 09:35 PM.

and there is a hotel at the Geneva airport. Nothing interesting but it's a walk to the terminals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    We appear to have 12 for Friday, so I think that one is maxed for now. You can do a headcount Thursday night and figure out which day to jump in. If you are able to fit in on Friday, that does open up room for Bob and others.
    No problem. My boys are pretty experienced so happy to group up with any others with local knowledge going lift served / touring, or we can do some research on local routes and make a group.

If anyone can relay this to buster: my mobile number is in his pms for the Signal group.

Probably coming with the family on the 12/13th weekend.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

A week away from my departure and I'm getting stoked.
    Had a variety of hurdles to clear before this trip but now they are all behind me. Whew...

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna forego hauling my skis and just rent over there.
    Vendul's neighbor ski shop has offered a great deal on a ski package more like what we ski here stateside, not the skinny groomer zoomers.
    Trying to find out if all their wider skis have touring clamps or pure alpine.

Another shop up the road in Andermatt offers them with Griffons and aatacks, so I know there's something for me relatively close by, if not a few doors down.

Ultimately just bringing my boots and soft gear will be ideal for me.
    I can turn on whatever boards I find...unless my feet are in an unfamiliar boot, then it all goes to shite.

And the money I save on the ski bag will go into the local economy and not into Delta's pocket.

Since my phone doesn't work over there, I plan on buying a cheap burner at the zurich airport and getting connected. Swisscom is in the main terminal.

Although I haven't chimed in on the guided days, I am flexible and if it would help round out a group, I could be easily persuaded to hop in. Otherwise, I'ma be perfectly content to make turns wherever I'm standing.
    In Switzerland!!!!

Any members of a Safety crew in that town? More of a smoker than a drinker here...

As DJ stated a week away. I am looking to book a room for Monday night the 14th flying out Tuesday morning. Wondering if anyone else is on the same time frame and would want to split a room?
    always forward but never straight

I’ve got a room at the moevenpick near zrh for the 14th.
    Murren is skiing really well, found a couple good pockets of knee deep but tracked. Tons of massive lines I’m drooling over but Im solo and don’t know the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Not 40 minutes. 3 minutes. First shuttle at 5AM, next at 0540 then departures on the half hour.
    Ah, that makes sense.

In the end, I booked the Hyatt across the street from the terminal, for the convenience factor. With 3 people the PP cost was negligible.

DJ, do you want to get on the signal app?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    DJ, do you want to get on the signal app?
    I do, and I already have it on my US based phone. I'll have to download it onto my burner phone after I get over and get re-established on that one.

MBB - I'll holler at you in the next 48 regarding connecting in Zurich inbounds...

Don't know what kind of phone or carrier you might have but you should be set with just a pre paid sim - no need for a new phone.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Don't know what kind of phone or carrier you might have but you should be set with just a pre paid sim - no need for a new phone.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    I have a tracphone which runs on verizon here but it won't work overseas.

I don't know fuckall about phones so just buying a cheap ready to go burner phone in the airport seems easiest.
    Mine's an Android S7 so it's like 9th grade smart.

I'll go ask the Verizon kids today...

If you have a gsm phone, when you get to Europe, stop in a small grocery store, buy a sim for 20euros, have them activate it and you have unlimited everything for a month

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	216532FC-883F-4A68-AEF4-BC495C848FC9.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	732.4 KB 
ID:	407901  

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    beyondskidogsteep
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I have a tracphone which runs on verizon here but it won't work overseas.

I don't know fuckall about phones so just buying a cheap ready to go burner phone in the airport seems easiest.
    Mine's an Android S7 so it's like 9th grade smart.

I'll go ask the Verizon kids today...
    Not specific to your Yurp trip or Switzerland but I personally wouldn't even do the burner phone.

Just use your phone on wifi. Download WhatsApp. Everyone in Yurp uses that to talk, text, send pics. Wifi is everywhere.

Last time I was in Yurp we had phones that worked but we turned off data and maybe only texted or talked on the towers once or twice in two weeks. The Spaniards we went to see would only seem to answer to WhatsApp. Calling or texting on towers or even FB messenger was completely out of their wheelhouse.

Have fun. Glad it is all coming together for you.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Murren, talk about vert. See James yet.

Have not been able to establish contact with any locals.
    But my tracks are just left of the rock here

Name:	A83E6DDC-31C6-4D5A-B803-0E8D5A8D8099.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	328.3 KB 
ID:	408029  

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Not specific to your Yurp trip or Switzerland but I personally wouldn't even do the burner phone.

Just use your phone on wifi. Download WhatsApp. Everyone in Yurp uses that to talk, text, send pics. Wifi is everywhere.
    if you decide to go this route you can rent a wifi hotspot if you don't want to rely on public wifi. When I did this a couple years ago it was something like $8/day. www.travelerswifi.com - pick up at info desk in ZRH after you clear customs and drop it off in a mailbox before you leave (they give you a prepaid envelope and mailboxes are everywhere). It was super easy.

Make sure to post lots of stoke!

I looked into it and as my phone is unlocked, I can just get a euro prepaid sim card and put it in and go. Cheap for a week and easy to do. I don't even really need a dang phone but keeping in touch with mag parties may come in handy, even if no emergencies arise out on slope.

Getting damn excited 'round here.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    If you have a gsm phone, when you get to Europe, stop in a small grocery store, buy a sim for 20euros, have them activate it and you have unlimited everything for a month

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk
    I'm sorry dude, If I knew the first thing about these, I'da just followed this advice.

This is my plan.

Titties

Name:	7FB3C889-CC49-40BD-998E-FCA317C5D775.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	543.3 KB 
ID:	408163  

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    On the big ole jet airliner
    Carry me to far away
    Deltas flailing today
    Ski you fools soon
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno