Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LAAL22 View Post
    My understanding is that "piste" is basically like a groomed run in the USA - maintained, groomed, avalanche controlled, patrolled, etc, and "off piste" would basically be like back country skiing.
    In a nutshell, that's pretty much correct. And you may have seen I just recently posted about this very subject on this thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...71#post6546271

Quote Originally Posted by LAAL22 View Post
    But is there something in between like the equivalent of say the back bowls at Vail - fairly easy to get to from the lifts, wide open, but not really completely back country. I guess in other words, can you comfortably go off piste without avalanche gear?
    Well, you got a lot of snark and shade in response to this question. LOL.

But I would say you can definitely find what you are looking for, but you must:
    1) Go to the right place.
    2) Hire a guide.

What you are looking for is **guided skiing** in some of the more user friendly Alps. You should go to an appropriate mountain. (Do your research, not the Gemsstock.) Go to Chamonix, for example, and hire a guide, and you'll have a lot of fun. (For the dyed-in-the-wool backcountry freerider, this is not the same advice I would give.)

And a guide is essential not only for the avy gear (that they will provide you with for the day) but also for the local expertise so you don't fall into a crevasse or slide off the mountain.

And no, amazing turns do not at all imply the necessity of uphill work or walking.

I feel like this has been answered, but asking some train questions again. Do you guys purchase direct through SBB or a third party site like raileurope.com? Seems like the raileurope is slightly easier to figure out and I didn’t see much if any markup.
    Also, both sites make you choose a time for departure. Is that flexible in the case of late flights? I’m seeing round trip train tickets from ZRH to Sedrun for about 80-100 usd, does that seem right? I thought I had seen somewhere in this thread more like $75 each way. And finally, for trains up and down valley from Sedrun are you just buying a ticket each time? Sorry if all of this has been covered.

Buy through sbb. Times are flexible unless it's a discounted "saver" ticket.

Can buy on the phone or paper ticket at a kisok in the station.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I feel like this has been answered, but asking some train questions again. Do you guys purchase direct through SBB or a third party site like raileurope.com? Seems like the raileurope is slightly easier to figure out and I didn’t see much if any markup.
    I got a 4 day Eurail pass, but that probably doesn't make sense for people just doing the ZRH<->Rueras round trip. I'd go with SBB
    Also, both sites make you choose a time for departure. Is that flexible in the case of late flights? I’m seeing round trip train tickets from ZRH to Sedrun for about 80-100 usd, does that seem right? I thought I had seen somewhere in this thread more like $75 each way.
    I'm guessing the Swiss are not flexible on departure times. CDS, corrects me.
    You could buy online for 3 hours after your arrival time.

There's 2 other options than buying online for a specific train.

One is to just buy a ticket at the office under the airport when you're there. I don't know how much more expensive that is.
    Another is this day saver https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-an...-day-pass.html

Euro locals may be able to give you better infor. I think Charlie Don't Surf may have more accurate information.
    And finally, for trains up and down valley from Sedrun are you just buying a ticket each time? Sorry if all of this has been covered.
    trains from Disentis through Andermatt to Hospental are covered by your SkiArena lift ticket.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

trains from Disentis through Andermatt to Hospental are covered by your SkiArena lift ticket.
    Ah, makes sense. And since every answer deserves a question: If the plan was to ski Gemstock for the day, or Disentis the opposite direction, can you buy those day passes somewhere near Mtn. Lodge so that you have the pass for the train use?

Thanks again for being responsive to dumb questions! I’ll buy you a beer/wine!

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Ah, makes sense. And since every answer deserves a question: If the plan was to ski Gemstock for the day, or Disentis the opposite direction, can you buy those day passes somewhere near Mtn. Lodge so that you have the pass for the train use?

Thanks again for being responsive to dumb questions! I’ll buy you a beer/wine!
    I'm doing the half price pass: https://www.andermatt-sedrun-disenti...r-ski-together .
    Also can do a multi day pass prepurchase:
    https://www.andermatt-sedrun-disenti...edrun-disentis

The Euros are way ahead and do a lot of ticket sales by phone, so you just show your phone to the conductor.

Gracias!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

duh nada

Regarding trains and arrival at mtnlodge_sedrun in Rueras:

Rueras is a tiny 'stop by request' station, so one has to push the little green button by the exit door in the train car after the last stop BEFORE Rueras. Or tell the conductor if one is available.

Coming from Chur/Disentis, Sedrun is the last stop before Rueras.
    Coming from Goeschenen/Andermatt, Dieni is the last stop before Rueras.

And I keep reiterating my preference for the Goeschenen route. It does require more train changes, but the little skreeching cog railway up the Schöllenen Gorge from Goeschenen to Andermatt is a gorgeous, atmospheric intro to the area.

The location of the old Devil's Bridge is visible for a short while. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sch%C3%B6llenen_Gorge

Plus after passing through Andermatt, the train goes over the Oberalp Pass en route to Rueras:

Last edited by Buster Highmen; 02-20-2022 at 01:07 PM.

Been away skiing so just hoping in here. I am definitely interested in joining in for a guided day.

Update: there's me, z-bo, papaZ, squirrel99, jackattack, jackattack+, mofro, mofro1, mofro2, MrMike, BobInCH, alias_rice, alias_rice+, carvehard, CatInJanuary

So that's 15. We may need to split into 3 groups. Cost will be about $180pp.

I should get an update from Dan at Andermatt-Guides tomorrow.

If I do this, please don't back out as it screws up the guides plans.

Some options in blue off the Gemsstock:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (27).jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	832.3 KB 
ID:	406786  

Regarding trains and arrival at mtnlodge_sedrun in Rueras:
    It's touches like this that make you such an unparalleled scenic guide, Buster! It's true, that's a beautiful route.

If it’s not too late I would like to do a guided day. I’m super excited about this trip and meeting all of you.

Ok, now up to me, z-bo, papaZ, squirrel99, jackattack, jackattack+, mofro, mofro1, mofro2, MrMike, BobInCH, alias_rice, alias_rice+, carvehard, CatInJanuary, scottskier63.
    16 people. I hope andermatt-guides can accommodate us. We will have to split into subgroups and may have to split days.

Will everyone have skins, transceiver, probe & shovel?

Quote Originally Posted by carvehard View Post
    In a nutshell, that's pretty much correct. And you may have seen I just recently posted about this very subject on this thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...71#post6546271

But I would say you can definitely find what you are looking for, but you must:
    1) Go to the right place.
    2) Hire a guide.

What you are looking for is **guided skiing** in some of the more user friendly Alps. You should go to an appropriate mountain. (Do your research, not the Gemsstock.) Go to Chamonix, for example, and hire a guide, and you'll have a lot of fun. (For the dyed-in-the-wool backcountry freerider, this is not the same advice I would give.)

And a guide is essential not only for the avy gear (that they will provide you with for the day) but also for the local expertise so you don't fall into a crevasse or slide off the mountain.

And no, amazing turns do not at all imply the necessity of uphill work or walking.

Thanks for the info!

Ok, now up to me, z-bo, papaZ, squirrel99, jackattack, jackattack+, mofro, mofro1, mofro2, MrMike, BobInCH, alias_rice, alias_rice+, carvehard, CatInJanuary, scottskier63.
    16 people. I hope andermatt-guides can accommodate us. We will have to split into subgroups and may have to split days.

Will everyone have skins, transceiver, probe & shovel?
    that's a yes for me.

"And I keep reiterating my preference for the Goeschenen route. It does require more train changes, but the little skreeching cog railway up the Schöllenen Gorge from Goeschenen to Andermatt is a gorgeous, atmospheric intro to the area."

How do I "force" the routing this way Buster? If I plug in Zurich Flughaven to Rueras, I"m routed via Chur. What's the "via" that I need to enter to take a look at this other option?

With flight changes, I'm now arriving Zurich much earlier in the day, so I'm more open to the scenic route.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    "And I keep reiterating my preference for the Goeschenen route. It does require more train changes, but the little skreeching cog railway up the Schöllenen Gorge from Goeschenen to Andermatt is a gorgeous, atmospheric intro to the area."

How do I "force" the routing this way Buster? If I plug in Zurich Flughaven to Rueras, I"m routed via Chur. What's the "via" that I need to enter to take a look at this other option?

With flight changes, I'm now arriving Zurich much earlier in the day, so I'm more open to the scenic route.
    When I plug Zurich Flughaven as start and Rueras as destination into https://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/pages/f...fahrplan.xhtml , I get several options, some that indicates "Direction Geneve-Aeroport".

On expanding those selections, I see either Arth-Goldau, then Göschenen or Göschenen direct.

Those are the ones you want.

Maybe a dumb question here but...
    We're a group of 3 traveling together and flying into Zurich. Would it make any sense to look into a car rental for the week instead of doing the train from/to the airport? Looks like train for 3 of us would be $480 total (3x80x 2 trips). Looks like a rental car can be had for around $330 w snow tires and a ski rack. Bigger concern is having enough time to switch trains in between stops while having to gather all our gear and get to a diff platform. If missing a train connection we'd be adding on an hour (possibly at ea stop/) to get the next train.
    Maybe i'm off on the train schedule or maybe i'm not seeing something w driving that would make it not worth it.
    I def get the train for people traveling solo and relaxing on the trip to/from but...

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    We're a group of 3 traveling together and flying into Zurich. Would it make any sense to look into a car rental for the week instead of doing the train from/to the airport? Looks like train for 3 of us would be $480 total (3x80x 2 trips). Looks like a rental car can be had for around $330 w snow tires and a ski rack. Bigger concern is having enough time to switch trains in between stops while having to gather all our gear and get to a diff platform. If missing a train connection we'd be adding on an hour (possibly at ea stop/) to get the next train.
    Maybe i'm off on the train schedule or maybe i'm not seeing something w driving that would make it not worth it.
    I def get the train for people traveling solo and relaxing on the trip to/from but...
    Gas is expensive, traffic around ZRH can be bad, some roads have tolls, parking can be a hassle until you get to mtnlodge_sedrun.
    Flexibility is the added plus. Slight cost environmentally. You could drive over to Klosters to meet us during the 6-9 or do something more obscure like Vals or Bivio.

I travel light (40L backpack, boots, light rollerbag for skis) and I blow $310 on 4 days of first class rail anywhere I want to go. Making connections is generally OK (except Chur for some).

I concede, I just like trains and prefer the hassle of making connections to the hassle of driving. ymmv

I got a car last time because we headed St Anton when we left Mountain Lodge. The drive is easy and there’s parking at the hotel. We also ended up needing the car when we did the day trip to St Moritz. I’d have no issues doing a car again, I just figured I’d try the train this time.

The train travel is really easy, pay attention at Chur, easy transfer. Travel light, makes life easier. Sit on train and enjoy the sights, conversations with locals and sip amazing coffee. Plus you can ride the Apres train and consume adult beverages.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0607.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	406929

Quote Originally Posted by carvehard View Post
    Aww c'mon B, catching snark is a rite of passage, especially for 11-post one-month-old JONGs who boast about their "double black diamond" skills and cite the Vail Back Bowels(TM) unironically - in the same post.

Gentle ribbing... for her pleasure.

I mean, the whole "Ski Vail!" joke has been going on since the early 90's from the rec.skiing days when Eugene Miya coined it.

Jeez, teh TRGs are getting flaccid.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    The train travel is really easy, pay attention at Chur, easy transfer. Travel light, makes life easier. Sit on train and enjoy the sights, conversations with locals and sip amazing coffee. Plus you can ride the Apres train and consume adult beverages.
    Yeah, no need for a car. In CH, public transport will get you where you need to go pretty much seamlessly. Last December from Berne to Zinal to Rueras to Zurich was pretty much effortless, and prior YurpBBI20 from Zurich to St Anton, Klosters also easy peasy. Thanks to nordkette, we did have a car from St. Anton to Klosters, but when COVID19 hit and we had to skeeddle back to Zurich to get back to the USA on a moment's notice, catching the early train was no prob, and SBB even reimbursed me for a prior reservation because of the circumstances. YurpBBI19 Zurich, Rueras, Engleberg, Zurich was also completely straightforward by train.

In fact, I would posit that the Swiss rail system is one of the pleasures of skiing in the country.

I have used a car for CH in the past, but TBH, fuel costs, parking etc can sometimes be more trouble than it's worth.

Ski Vail!

EDIT TO ADD:
    Sorry criscam, I neglected to consider the economics of 3 people. Yeah, that's where getting a car may actually be a wash, at least economics-wise. You do get the convenience and advantage of not having to work with a timetable, and the added flexibility is a plus. Parking and fuel costs a minus, but not insurmountable. Vendul has parking at MtnLodge. Making connections between trains isn't that bad at all, so long as you don't have tons and tons of baggage (I usually have a ski bag and a roller-case, along with my backpack). Swiss trains run like clockwork, so you know what to expect in terms of timing. Driving in CH is okay, they're not insane like they are in Italy, but still I enjoy the train more, it's more scenic and less stressful. Overall a wash.
    Last edited by Tri-Ungulate; 02-22-2022 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    I think it’s all been said. The economics are probably similar. If driving, avoid major resort transit routes on Friday and Sunday afternoons/evenings. Parking can definitely be a pain if you don’t plan ahead. I would be surprised if you didn’t catch your train due to luggage hauling, but I guess that depends what you’re bringing (and if it’s that much, will it fit in the car?).

A few eurojong questions:

1. I read the suggestions to bring just a single pair of skis, but I don’t mind the bit of schlep with my roller bag. Which two of the following skis would folks suggest?
    A. Blizzard 0G 105 in a 180 with atk bindings and Freeride spacer. These have ski crampons and are my main touring ski. I tour more than I ride lifts and hope if folks and conditions align to get out some.
    B. Völkl v werks katana (112 width) in 184 with atk bindings and Freeride spacer and skins. I have only skied these a half dozen runs on closed resort trails. I picked them up with an eye to this trip, but don’t know if I want to ride inbounds all the time on tech bindings if I pair these with the Blizzards.
    C. Nordica Enforcer 104 in 186 with a marker Griffon ID. I had the bindings checked with my Dynafit Beast boots this Fall and they passed. I have skied them in 18” and 15” storms and really liked the ease they had. My hesitation is if they would feel under gunned in the big open spaces of the Alps.

2. Thinking about bringing my abs pack. Extra cost of buying the tank and trigger in Switzerland plus the weight penalty. Do folks rock these?

3. Crampons and ice axe? Pretty common accessory on the East Coast, but not sure if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Aww c'mon B, catching snark is a rite of passage, especially for 11-post one-month-old JONGs who boast about their "double black diamond" skills and cite the Vail Back Bowels(TM) unironically - in the same post.
    heehee
    Yeah, it was funny. But I also felt bad for the person and wanted to help them out.
    Last edited by carvehard; 03-13-2022 at 12:46 AM.