Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
    Is this the greatest maggot tram dock infestation ever?

Gemsstock

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I will be dropping more love for the trip but for now, some bad news...

I tested negative to get outta the Yurps but as a precaution went and got tested today again as I had developed a runny nose and cough on Monday.

Today I tested positive for the C19, so I might suggest mags look into a test to be safe.
    I may have contracted it after I left, but who can say exactly.

Bummed but it's not severe at the moment, maybe a 2 on the 10 scale. Gonna miss BBIMT22 tho, that sucks...

Also, feel free to inform anyone you can think of as I don't have contact/access with everyone.

Bummer DJ. Heal fast and strong.

A number of others have reported positive tests on the signal group.

Thanks Buster.

Hoping for healthy mags in 10 days.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Thanks Buster.

Hoping for healthy mags in 10 days.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hope you're doing ok Djongo. Feel better man! Those were some good times brother!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Hope you're doing ok Djongo. Feel better man! Those were some good times brother!
    Man, you're not kidding. For me, that was a trip of my lifetime. And experiencing it with you and all of the others was unforgettable.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Thank you to everyone who pitched in for us. Speaking only for myself, I can assure you I spent every penny wisely and got a 2000% return on your investment.

I made it a point to be thrifty without being a cheapskate. This made it possible to tip Vendul and his crew with an extra 20% on top of my total bill.
    They truly did make the trip awesome.
    He's so fucking cool.
    When he and Serena finally come back to the US, we're gonna throw down for them like it's 2099.

Time for some Trip reporting...

All of my flights went flawlessly and without delay or baggage issues. Even still, total travel in both directions panned out to about 33 hours, point to point.
    I didn't really experience any jet lag, was ready to roll that first morning.
    And roll we did.

Day one involved catching the train from just above the lodge, about an 1/8 mile uphill jaunt. It was a challenging 1/8 and most were dripping with sweat after the crux moves.

It's a long valley with chairs connecting to take you many miles downvalley. The groomers ran for miles taking you ever closer to Andermatt and the Gemsstock. And not a lot of groomers, just massive swaths of paper smooth corduroy.

I mean smooth as a baby's bottom with tons of rollers and variation. Man, you could let 'em roll and get rocking faster than most of the folks on their skinny racer skis. Myself and RA13 definitely pulled some doors off by the end of the week.
    I almost got launched a coupla times following him down.

Eventually, I was wanting to slow down and just enjoy the views which seemed blurry and fleeting while racing around; multiple laps and vert to kinda get the lay of the land.
    We skied a shitton of miles, I'm guessing 35+ after skiing back to Rueras from Andermatt.

And from the last chair, we followed the sledding track back to the main road and walked about 300 yards back to the lodge.
    So fucking sweet. 4 ski bums just moseying in after a long day of turning and burning in the Swiss Alps.
    Living the Dream...

Excellent. So stoked for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Excellent. So stoked for you guys.
    There was a notable hole there.

Are you implying Norseman is a hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Are you implying Norseman is a hole?
    Now, now, don't you be one of the anal variety.

Here's a photo dump of rando stuff from a euronewb :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 (2).jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	410145
    On the train into the mountains, I encountered a strange variety of offerings:M&Ms, beer and wine, etc.

Name:	6 (2).jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	410146
    At the train station in Goschenen, the transfer was as simple as walking 15 feet to the other set of tracks. Good thing I had 12 minutes to gape at the early mountains. They are about to get more intense and immense while going over a small pass into Andermatt. Took about 20 minutes for this leg..

Name:	7(2).jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	410147
    Goschenen station, not a bad office space.

Name:	14 (2).jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	870.0 KB 
ID:	410152
    En route to Andermatt. At this point I'm saying things like holy fuck, where is my mind? It is visually a mindblower to take in. The immensity is for me, akin to the Grand Canyon. A veritable monolith of Distance, Time and Mass.
    We'll talk about scale later.

Name:	3 (2).jpg 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	410143
    In Andermatt, a town of roughly 100 buildings, maybe a 1 mile square, the main drag is L shaped and takes you from the train station right into uptown 'matt.
    Through the center of town runs this idyllic stream.
    Note the tiny fishscale exterior on the gray building on the right, tedious work. Swiss.

Name:	4 (2).jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	410144
    This is the Hotel Sonne, on the main street of the L, the Gotthardstrasse, it's the way to the main ski zone close to town, the Massive Gemsstock. A peak requiring 2 tram rides to the summit. A full 600 vert feet higher than the JH tram. Approaching 3 miles long.
    We walked from the train station to the tram in about 10 minutes, enjoying the charm of a Swiss town, to my ski rental shop, Imholtz. They styled me out.
    New Volkl M6,191, new duke pt's...$109 for 4 days. Cheap demo quality rentals; Head Kores too.

Name:	8 (2).jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	817.4 KB 
ID:	410148
    Sunrise from the window of the Mtn. lodge family room. I enjoyed this from a room shared with MBB for a coupla days.
    In thinking of a 'skilarship', Vendul thought the 4 of us were around college age. Hah, we prolly averaged 50 years. RA13 being the youngest, with a teen daughter...

He decided we'd be better served with a better division of rooms and split us all up into a private for each. Big thanks to MBB for giving me the upgrade. It made the trip even sweeter for me. I owe ya now, Mr. steep turner.

Name:	10 (3).jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	410149
    Das Goats.

On the 10 minute walk up to the station, there are 2 different small livestock operations, The goat and sheep near the lodge, and the dairy cows above the next switchback.

Name:	11 (2).jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	410150
    These are some fine looking animals. The locals seem to genuinely enjoy the skiers walking past and engaging and answering questions.

Name:	12 (2).jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	410151
    A train next to a ganjala.
    That is taking it to the next level for me.

I so wanted to take a toke and blow it out the train window. All of the windows slide down and don't appear lockable. Complete freedom to use them at will.
    And seemingly the complete freedom to tell you to put the window up, ya dink.
    Saw that a few times...

Name:	2 (2).jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	410142

One day after many laps over at Disentis, Buster and I exit the train and these 3 cats are sitting there. We are clicking in to slide down the 300 yards to the lodge.
    They're plainly discussing the two kooks before them so I decide to engage.

Through words and gestures, I ask if I may photograph them. The big guy gets up and gestures for me to bring him the phone as he must have thought I meant him shooting us. I say, no, no, me take picture of you.
    They all laugh.
    He then points, here, to his buddy and informs that this is The President.
    Of Switzerland I guess. Or at least Rueras.
    The President laughs the hardest, what a beautifully classic face...

Name:	27 (2).jpg 
Size:	357.5 KB 
ID:	410161
    I say, Oh My God, I'm gonna need a professional shot of Mr. President, and move in for the close up. They're losing it now. Hah.

What a cherry on top of a great day, which Buster and I finished with 5 of the most elusive corn laps. On the beginner T-bar, next to the train. Swiss Creamed corn biotches. Git sum.

Name:	1 (2).jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	697.9 KB 
ID:	410141
    Disentis.
    The major ski zone at the opposite end of the valley from Andermatt.
    Look at the scale of the distant massifs and drainages.

More to come...

Damn that’s some mighty fine shit…

Golddddd

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Name:	3efcb6ec-d036-4ae8-909c-2e65c873c783.jpg 
Size:	528.5 KB 
ID:	410167

Sahara dust cloud made it feel like skiing on Mars…

What an experience.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Bummer DJ. Heal fast and strong.

A number of others have reported positive tests on the signal group.
    at least it was after skiing

super stoked to read this thread; nice pics too o' course

The price quotes I read earlier don't seem to a problem, if you are setting up another trip next year, Buster. I'll keep an eye out for another thread popping.

Sends D J some virtual chicken soup...sweet synapsis of your trip down the thread
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    at least it was after skiing

super stoked to read this thread; nice pics too o' course

The price quotes I read earlier don't seem to a problem, if you are setting up another trip next year, Buster. I'll keep an eye out for another thread popping.

Sends D J some virtual chicken soup...sweet synapsis of your trip down the thread
    Thanks mag, the chicken soup helped.

Also, the euro skiers seem to really prefer the monochromatic ski outfits so you'll fit in seamlessly.

Name:	16 (2).jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	848.9 KB 
ID:	410237
    The amount of acreage that is skiable via touring is endless. This massif alone would cover almost any NorAm resort.

Name:	19 (2).jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	852.9 KB 
ID:	410239
    These fellas are heading up to the 'Booter' a 50 step walk to some fresh turns. RA13, Buster and ? made a lap and I thought for sure they were on a slow boat to china. Yet they snuck back to the box in no time at all.

Name:	20 (2).jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	410240
    MBB hanging at the tram midstation on the Gemsstock. How euro to sit in one of those lounge chairs behind him and one folded on the ground.
    Once I sat in it, I realized the appeal.
    Holee shite, I coulda/woulda set there for an hour in the sun. So comfy and chill.

Name:	21 (2).jpg 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	410241
    The boys rolling in after skiing back up valley and taking the luge run back to the main street.
    While we were clicking out and getting ready to walk, these 3 older folks walking the pathway passed us and asked me if we were Americans. 'Yes... 'Where from?' NY, SLC, Philly, WY. - Wyoming? where?...Cowboys, I say. She laughs at me and says " Rocky Mountains, Heh."
    First time I ever heard someone scoff at the Rockies. We all laughed hard at the comical contempt in her voice. Her included.
    They were cool. Another fun interaction with the locs.

Name:	22 (2).jpg 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	410242
    MBB and Alias-rice and his bro rolling into Rueras after a full day of turns...

Name:	24 (2).jpg 
Size:	819.2 KB 
ID:	410244
    At the Disentis area, we all gaped at the incredible variety of slots, chutes and coolies. There must be 100 of these within a 5 mile radius. Unbelievable options.

Name:	24 (2).jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	876.7 KB 
ID:	410258
    Lookers right skinny slot was the one we drooled over mostly.

Name:	25 (2).jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	410249
    Prolly 1200-2000' vert per shot.

Name:	31 (2).jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	888.8 KB 
ID:	410250
    From the highest T bar, yeah a T bar, the top station lifty waved to all from this prison sniper post. I assume in a regular year the snow goes up to it's cabin.

Name:	29 (2).jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	999.2 KB 
ID:	410247
    After moving rooms, the mini farm was about 50 feet from my balcony patio.
    One minute it's 25 pygmy goats, later it's 30 sheep. Both groups had babies bouncing around as they do. So funny, so cute.

Name:	30 (2).jpg 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	410251
    Kinda cool old school barn construction.

Name:	32 (2).jpg 
Size:	717.9 KB 
ID:	410252
    I fell in love with the sound of the lil' bells clanging around. And I prefer the quiet.

Name:	33 (2).jpg 
Size:	569.5 KB 
ID:	410253
    This dude was one mouthy mofo.

Solid, mang! Glad you all had such an amazing trip.

Thanks for all the photos — so nice to see for somewhere I’m unlikely to ever get to go

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Thanks for all the photos — so nice to see for somewhere I’m unlikely to ever get to go
    I am the least likely photographer around here, that's for sure.

Maybe we can pencil you in as a potential recipient of next years skilarship?

I am personally already committed to making it over again next year, now that I know the routine.
    Which, I might add, was waaaay easier than expected. Flights? NBD; Trains? piece of cake. Accommodations? inexpensive and wonderful food and atmosphere...

Thank you all again for sending me. I now shall send others...

And it can't be repeated enough - Thank you to Buster for creating such a great Scene.

The Euro BBI is a Stellar gig.

Don’t pencil me in — I’m not a worthy candidate.
    Nevertheless, it looks amazing & worth the effort of making it happen for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Don’t pencil me in — I’m not a worthy candidate..
    I'm sorry, but you'll have to take that up with the skilorship board.

Now as to credit, yeah, sure I shoot my keyboard off, extolling the virtues of Yurpean skean, but the real credit lies mostly with vendul and s who not only work their butts off, but are constantly and lovingly emitting abundance and comfort at https://www.mt-lodge.com/.

Thanks and kudos to them.

Plus, all the other independently owned Yurpean businesses and a big FU to Alterra and Vail.

So, aside from all you wackjobs that fester there to create an awesome and fun scene, for whom I am eternally grateful, it's vendul and s to whom credit is dew.

Gotta say I missed nordkette.

I too wanted to meet Nordekette, hope to ski her next time.

The experience at the lodge with our Mag hosts was indeed the pivotal part of the trip.

They went out of their way in so many ways that you would be downright leery of asking in the first place. Those two deserve all of the success and fun that we can bring to them.

God knows they stay busy all day and keep everything running smoothly. And ya know that comes with some irritation on their part.

I consider them my new friends and sincerely hope they make a trip to the states soon so that we can all party and take care of them, as they do for us.

Don't belittle your actions Buster, I've changed since meeting you.

Danke.