Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Would it make any sense to look into a car rental for the week instead of doing the train from/to the airport? Looks like train for 3 of us would be $480 total (3x80x 2 trips). Looks like a rental car can be had for around $330 w snow tires and a ski rack.
    Mostly a matter of preference I'd say. You'll probably come out about the same for $$$. Train is relaxing. Car has flexibility.

The trains run soooo smooooth. And you won't likely have any problem with the connections. Yeah, they seem nerve-wracking when it shows like 6 minutes. But it's because they're usually synchronized in that case and right across the platform from each other.

If you don't mind driving, the benefits of freedom of movement with a car are undeniable. Swiss roads and drivers are not unusually difficult. If you hit bad weather, a train ride might be the more relaxing option. But no way to know in advance. And with a car you can travel locally to any nearby resorts, many of which are easy by train, but some require a car.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Which two of the following skis would folks suggest?
    A. Blizzard 0G 105 in a 180 with atk bindings and Freeride spacer. These have ski crampons and are my main touring ski. I tour more than I ride lifts and hope if folks and conditions align to get out some.
    B. Völkl v werks katana (112 width) in 184 with atk bindings and Freeride spacer and skins. I have only skied these a half dozen runs on closed resort trails. I picked them up with an eye to this trip, but don’t know if I want to ride inbounds all the time on tech bindings if I pair these with the Blizzards.
    C. Nordica Enforcer 104 in 186 with a marker Griffon ID. I had the bindings checked with my Dynafit Beast boots this Fall and they passed. I have skied them in 18” and 15” storms and really liked the ease they had. My hesitation is if they would feel under gunned in the big open spaces of the Alps.
    Very subjective indeed. I'd probably say bring A or B and C to have binding options. I will be on Enforcer 110's with Marker hybrid bindings and skins. I fricking loves these everywhere.

2. Thinking about bringing my abs pack. Extra cost of buying the tank and trigger in Switzerland plus the weight penalty. Do folks rock these?
    Again, subjective. You'll see them around on some locals. Not to speak for others here, but historically the maggots haven't had such gear and the caution has been more about preventing/avoiding slide incidents.

3. Crampons and ice axe? Pretty common accessory on the East Coast, but not sure if needed.
    Never needed it in this zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Ok, now up to me, z-bo, papaZ, squirrel99, jackattack, jackattack+, mofro, mofro1, mofro2, MrMike, BobInCH, alias_rice, alias_rice+, carvehard, CatInJanuary, scottskier63.
    16 people. I hope andermatt-guides can accommodate us. We will have to split into subgroups and may have to split days.

Will everyone have skins, transceiver, probe & shovel?
    We are officially in on this and have the needed gear.

13 days and counting…

A few eurojong questions:

1. I read the suggestions to bring just a single pair of skis, but I don’t mind the bit of schlep with my roller bag. Which two of the following skis would folks suggest?
    A. Blizzard 0G 105 in a 180 with atk bindings and Freeride spacer. These have ski crampons and are my main touring ski. I tour more than I ride lifts and hope if folks and conditions align to get out some.
    B. Völkl v werks katana (112 width) in 184 with atk bindings and Freeride spacer and skins. I have only skied these a half dozen runs on closed resort trails. I picked them up with an eye to this trip, but don’t know if I want to ride inbounds all the time on tech bindings if I pair these with the Blizzards.
    C. Nordica Enforcer 104 in 186 with a marker Griffon ID. I had the bindings checked with my Dynafit Beast boots this Fall and they passed. I have skied them in 18” and 15” storms and really liked the ease they had. My hesitation is if they would feel under gunned in the big open spaces of the Alps.

2. Thinking about bringing my abs pack. Extra cost of buying the tank and trigger in Switzerland plus the weight penalty. Do folks rock these?

3. Crampons and ice axe? Pretty common accessory on the East Coast, but not sure if needed.
    1) If you're bringing 2, go with B & C. If only 1, B. Last couple of BBIYurps I brought only one pair, my VWerks Katanas in 184 (tele bindings, though). I'd only bring the Enforcers if you really hate the idea of skiing in-area with tech bindings.

2) I bring my ABS packs on these trips, but have the Pieps JetForce, so don't have to bring a canister. Before I got the Pieps, on a previous trip to Yurp, I brought my Mammut ABS pack; I was able to rent a canister in La Grave, but nowhere else had rentals, and I ended up just buying one for the rest of the trip to Alagna and Verbier. I left the canister with a friend in Milan; actually he's occasionally on TGR and may even still have it if you want to pick it up.

3) I've brought a Whippet, but would pass on the ice axe & crampons, unless you plan a small group guided tour with a steep objective, in which case the guides would prolly be able to outfit you. A harness and a couple of 3' runners with locking carabiners doesn't take up much space and can be handy, and you look super cool when you get on the lift rocking the gear

Ok, now up to me, z-bo, papaZ, squirrel99, jackattack, jackattack+, mofro, mofro1, mofro2, MrMike, BobInCH, alias_rice, alias_rice+, carvehard, CatInJanuary, scottskier63.
    16 people. I hope andermatt-guides can accommodate us. We will have to split into subgroups and may have to split days.

Will everyone have skins, transceiver, probe & shovel?
    Buster just got on a plane, so I'm going to pick up the torch while he is out.

so, Brian out. Dibs and P in so long as they can go Friday because they depart Sunday. I can't go Friday, but alias rice and alias rice+ have agreed to defer until Sunday if we can get another volunteer or 2. I think this is where we are:

Friday groups:
    Buster, z-bo, papaZ, squirrel99, jackattack, jackattack+, mofro, mofro1, mofro2, BobInCH, CatInJanuary, scottskier63, dibs and P

I count 14 there at least. So I think you will want 3 guides if a full complement.

Sunday group:
    MrMike, alias_rice, alias_rice+

Anyone else willing/able to switch from Friday to Sunday which would allow the Friday group to drop back to 2 guides and let us take one group with 1 guide on Sunday?

OR

Shroom, Mrs. Shroom and Shroom + want to jump in on a guided day Sunday which would allow 3 guides Friday and 1 Sunday?

Let me know in the next day or 2 because if not, I want to remove myself from the guided days altogether so alias and alias + can remain in the mix for Friday.

[extraneous deleted]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post

so, Brian out. Dibs and P in so long as they can go Friday because they depart Sunday. I can't go Friday, but alias rice and alias rice+ have agreed to defer until Sunday if we can get another volunteer or 2. I think this is where we are:

Friday groups:
    Buster, z-bo, papaZ, squirrel99, jackattack, jackattack+, mofro, mofro1, mofro2, BobInCH, CatInJanuary, scottskier63, dibs and P

I count 14 there at least. So I think you will want 3 guides if a full complement.

Sunday group:

Anyone else willing/able to switch from Friday to Sunday which would allow the Friday group to drop back to 2 guides and let us take one group with 1 guide on Sunday?

OR

Shroom, Mrs. Shroom and Shroom + want to jump in on a guided day Sunday which would allow 3 guides Friday and 1 Sunday?

Let me know in the next day or 2 because if not, I want to remove myself from the guided days altogether so alias and alias + can remain in the mix for Friday.

[extraneous deleted]
    we can be flexible on the guided day, happy to accommodate SFB+P.

That was easy.

If there's room I'd be down for some Friday free ride guiding. I'm not sure I need to spend the $ on Sunday as long as I can tag along with someone that is getting more acquainted with the area.

Is the guiding a good idea for newcomers? I imagine it's a good way to get a lay of the land. Will there be others I can go rip around with if I don't have a guide? Sorry, I have no idea what's about to happen here
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I'm also just getting over covid and now a serious bout of post vid bronchitis. I don't think I'm going to be very good at climbing right now. This has been a major ass whooping. I haven't even skied this month! I've got 15 days for the season so skiing hasn't been working out so well for me this year.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Brian Carvehard and I know the area pretty well. And vendul too, so you’ll be covered for tourgiides

Brian Carvehard and I know the area pretty well. And vendul too, so you’ll be covered for tourgiides
    Sick. Thanks boys.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Yeah, I'm looking forward to ripping around with a little posse. I know the mountain terrain well, but reading conditions is a constantly evolving thing.

I regard myself as a complete idiot, so being with sensible people for mutual protection is good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66i9ox.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	407286
    Last edited by carvehard; 02-26-2022 at 11:56 AM.

thanks for the flexibility Jackattack. With moving you 2 to Sunday, now I got this:

Friday groups:
    Buster, z-bo, papaZ, squirrel99, mofro, mofro1, mofro2, BobInCH, CatInJanuary, scottskier63, [dibs and P}

Sunday group:
    MrMike, alias_rice, alias_rice+, jackattack, jackattack+

so that's 10 or 12 on Friday, depending on Dibs, and 5 on Sunday plus Carvesoft if he gets hard again.

Dibs, let us know if you and yours are in on Friday because you might make the difference in 2 guides vs. 3. And set aside some time to discuss fishing with me Saturday night before you leave over a few beers. We might be the only denizens of the Fishing Forum on this trip.

I'll coordinate final details with Buster over the next couple of days when everything settles to coordinate communication with the guide.

I’ve requested 2 groups of 6 each for Friday and 1 group on Sunday up to 6 people.
    Yes, Archimedes, we’re converging

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    mrs. sfb and i are in for guided friday
    well ski sumthin saturday but need to make it back to zurich that night
    stoked to share this experiance with mags
    props to buster and all the locals for puttin this togather
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Confirmed 2 guides for Friday and 1 for Sunday with up to 6 clients per guide

shroom group of 3 is planning to sit out guided for now, i could be coerced to make numbers work but just bringing alpine gear

+++++props to bruce wrangling cats takes some real patience

Friday groups:

Sunday group:

OR

[extraneous deleted]
    WeÂ’ll only arrive Friday evening so Friday guiding out. Maybe able to do Sunday - let me check with my buddy. WeÂ’d be 2 for Sunday, possibly 3.

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    WeÂ’ll only arrive Friday evening so Friday guiding out. Maybe able to do Sunday - let me check with my buddy. WeÂ’d be 2 for Sunday, possibly 3.
    Buster is more dialed on this than I am, but I think on Sunday we now have 5 and the group max size is 6 per guide, so we only have room for 1 more.

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    Buster is more dialed on this than I am, but I think on Sunday we now have 5 and the group max size is 6 per guide, so we only have room for 1 more.
    As I said before, we will be there both days and can be flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    As I said before, we will be there both days and can be flexible.
    We appear to have 12 for Friday, so I think that one is maxed for now. You can do a headcount Thursday night and figure out which day to jump in. If you are able to fit in on Friday, that does open up room for Bob and others.

PSA to Euro BBIers who have had Covid recently.

Hopefully, the US follows suit of EU and drops the pre-travel testing requirements before we are all coming home. If not, however, AND you have had Covid in the 90 days prior to your return (like me), then you may still test positive. In that case, to return, you need both evidence of your positive covid test (which must be a viral (PCR) test) and documentation of recovery.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...hor_1635127082

"If you have had a positive viral test on a sample taken during the past 90 days, and you have met the criteria to travel, you may travel instead with your positive viral test results and a signed letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel according to CDC’s travel guidance. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.

A letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official that clears you to travel, must have information that identifies you personally (e.g., name and date of birth) that matches the personal identifiers on your passport or other travel documents. The letter must be signed and dated on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of the healthcare provider or public health official who signed the letter."

I was planning on staying at the Movenpick hotel in Zurich the night before my return flight but just learned that they are not running an airport shuttle at the moment. Anyone know what hotels run an early morning airport shuttle (flight is at 630a, so at least 5am)?

Otherwise, I could probably book a taxi but there are 3 of us with ski bags and duffles and I’m concerned about room.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I was planning on staying at the Movenpick hotel in Zurich the night before my return flight but just learned that they are not running an airport shuttle at the moment. Anyone know what hotels run an early morning airport shuttle (flight is at 630a, so at least 5am)?

Otherwise, I could probably book a taxi but there are 3 of us with ski bags and duffles and I’m concerned about room.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I don't know of any because I haven't made it quite that far into planning yet, but don't feel constrained by airport hotels. Train service from main station to airport starts at 4:33 on and takes 12 minutes. Train station is under the airport. If you are a short walk to the station, it's only going to add a few minutes to your trip, but downtown hotels are likely to be a bit pricier.

I'm hoping to book the airport hilton using points. Will inquire to confirm their shuttle is running before booking and try to remember to report back. They list a shuttle as an amenity and there is nothing on their website stating it is not offered currently.

I don't know of any because I haven't made it quite that far into planning yet, but don't feel constrained by airport hotels. Train service from main station to airport starts at 4:33 on and takes 12 minutes. Train station is under the airport. If you are a short walk to the station, it's only going to add a few minutes to your trip, but downtown hotels are likely to be a bit pricier.

I'm hoping to book the airport hilton using points. Will inquire to confirm their shuttle is running before booking and try to remember to report back. They list a shuttle as an amenity and there is nothing on their website stating it is not offered currently.
    Found a time table online for the Hilton shuttle: https://www3.hilton.com/resources/me...le_Mar2020.pdf

Starts at 5am and takes 40 minutes….? Must make stops at other hotels?