Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Very cool. I wonder how many days like that I have remaining. This is what I mean by "meaningful" skiing.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Very cool. I wonder how many days like that I have remaining. This is what I mean by "meaningful" skiing.
    I'm pretty sure das Disentis lifts will be running for this winter.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Can I get some suggestions on how to implement a Skilarship fund to support worthy folks getting to this shindig ?
    In the spirit of this consortium of weirdos, I would like to propose the following:
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/stoke-dreams

A consortium of miscreants, n'er do wells and ski fiends would like to share their abundance with fellow ski fiends.

This fund is intended aid and abet fellow ski fiends to travel to places where the madness can be shared in person with like minded misfits and madmen.

The idea is to collect some donations, then solicit for candidates that are worthy and desirous of a 5 day trip to Yurp to ski around the Andermatt-Disentis SkiArena.

Whose in?
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 09-16-2021 at 10:33 AM.

Having followed the BBI Euro threads since the start, with a growing wish to be able to join. And it's currently looking like I will have a window come March. Just locked the price for a 72 hour descision time for a ZRH ticket March 12 to 19.

Would you guys be ok to be joined by a Yurpian Scandiman for a week at Vendul's place?

I just booked flights to Zurich arriving Friday March 11 and leaving Sunday March 20. Will spend the first few nights in Sedrun and then head elsewhere for a few nights.

Regarding some posts above, the Mrs. (intermediate skier, expert at spas, fine dining and drinking) is joining me. When we had a large contingent in 2019, I recall 4 wives, including mine, so definitely partner friendly.

Waxoff, hope to meet you in 2022, looking forward to meeting SFB (looks like we will overlap a day or 2), and hope to see Buster and the Parisian, as well as some others again. SFB, we can swap fishing pictures at apres.

Vendul, PM incoming regarding accommodations with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post

Waxoff, hope to meet you in 2022, looking forward to meeting SFB (looks like we will overlap a day or 2), and hope to see Buster and the Parisian, as well as some others again.
    Thanks, likewise! 😀

Yeah waxoff, more Euros are always welcome by Yanks invading the Alps.
    fwiw, it looks like I'll be in Sedrun between the 9th and the 15th +-, but I'm still scoping tickets.

^^Thanks, reservations made for 12th-19th.

School me on transfer ZRH to Disentis (and back). I believe train is preferred, anything that needs to be taken into consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    ^^Thanks, reservations made for 12th-19th.

School me on transfer ZRH to Disentis (and back). I believe train is preferred, anything that needs to be taken into consideration?
    Train is ideal. Depending on time of day you can either go via Andermatt or Chur. Later at night when I arrived only Chur was viable. Train dropped off in Disentis and from there it was a sprinter van over to Realp (included in my trainfare, was just late at night by that point).

https://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/pages/f...fahrplan.xhtml
    The Arth-Goldau->Göschenen->Andermatt->Rueras way is more atmospheric, but doesn't run as late like doebedoe wrote.

On the train, you'll want to get off at Rueras, but you have to request the stop after passing through Dieni (coming from Andermatt) or Sedrun (coming from Chur/Distentis). There's a little button for these requests by the exit doors. You can ask the conductors.

After about 21:00, the trains stop in Disentis and you'll have to take the post bus who will deliver you to Mountainlodge-Sedrun.

There's one little crux if going via Chur: a train transfer in Chur that must be done in less than 4 minutes, between lines operated by different services. The details can be seen in the Google Maps schedule. You switch from the big fast train on the SBB line to the smaller mountain train on the Rhatische Bahn line. It's a hustle with a ski bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    There's one little crux if going via Chur: a train transfer in Chur that must be done in less than 4 minutes, between lines operated by different services. The details can be seen in the Google Maps schedule. You switch from the big fast train on the SBB line to the smaller mountain train on the Rhatische Bahn line. It's a hustle with a ski bag.
    That's part of the fun! Due to traffic from a French Holiday, I had to sprint full out from a bus stop to catch my train. Only time in my life I wished my Dynastars weren't so heavy. At least my bag had wheels. That helped.

We missed it and had to wait for the next train. Not a terrible place to hangout for an hour however.

Thanks for all input! Looks like I'll be inbound ZRH around 11AM so transfer should be easy. The hard part is the half year of waiting for 3-12 to come..!

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    We missed it and had to wait for the next train. Not a terrible place to hangout for an hour however.
    mofro and I only made it due to your heads-up

mofro and I only made it due to your heads-up
    The key is being staged at the door of the train before it stops especially if you have a big pile of gear.

Another key is not having a big pile of gear.

Difficult when bringing a wife. But yes, next trip will be modeled around your techniques.

the eurobbi 20 20 was my first real skitrip in my live and seeing tri´s and buster´s set up was astonishing!

so how it all happened:

about this time in 2019 i told my mother these weird guys from the internet holding there annual thing in euope again. i could not go last year and wondering if i shall go this year. and she replied: of course you go!

then came the pandemic and i was frightened internet radio and print news where over rolling me.
    i did not know how to act or react, off course my age favoured my decision making but still i was not sure what was the right decision.

but thankfully i went, i met up with eric and tri and skied 2 great days in st anton - half a stormday at sonnenkopf and of to klosters meeting the rest of the crew. buster , the shrooms , mr mike & carvehard.
    i remember the day of arrival there was 20cm of fresh on the valley floor and then the snow changed on to rain and our dreams where gone, but with such great company skiing the worst conditions can be a pleasure. and yes we found turns all over the place.
    still the daily news overflow was horrible and the whole group was worried. but thanks to buster the group kept a good spirit and continued to ski day in day out.
    slowly lifts were shutting down in europe
    all others coming canceled there trips and slowly slowly one by one of the group left to the states.

the rest of the group moved to rueras and i met vendul and incredible host. his open house in the middle of a pandemic was outstanding. all hotels had closed but he decided to give us shelter as his private guests so one by one could figure out what to do.
    so we skinned and skied everyday in rueras area.
    it was a blessing, lifts closed, bluebird and corn as much you could harvest.
    the spirit was up and the skins got used.
    the food was marvellous and the evening where fun.

i am thankful, i made the right decision to join the eurobbi
    thanks to my mother for telling me to go. the last ride before everything had changed.

Honestly if I went back I'd probably grab this simple sleeve for $25 and 40L ski touring bag and call it good.

https://www.amazon.com/Dakine-Unisex...8-4&th=1&psc=1

Sweetest ski lemonade I've evar had. Such a great crew!

5 days of skinning in a row, most I've done in years.

(and apologies to TAFKALS....I couldn't resist)

I like the roller bags. I had a simple ski bag, but it's so much easier to have a roller that can take skis, boots and a few clothes and just shoulder a 40L backpack. Go light. Sink laundry.

The best way is to pack essentials (outerwear, underwear, goggles, gloves, transceiver, etc) in the 40L pack, carry that on with your boots. Put the rest of the stuff in with the skis and hope they make it. If they don't, youve got enough to ski on the rentals for which the airline will pay until you get your skis, etc.

I would strongly suggest buying bw_wp_hedonism dinner and drinks and he might take you on one of the mindblowing tours around Davos/Klosters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AndermattTour.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	386376  

Sweetest ski lemonade I've evar had. Such a great crew!

5 days of skinning in a row, most I've done in years.

(and apologies to TAFKALS....I couldn't resist)

I like the roller bags. I had a simple ski bag, but it's so much easier to have a roller that can take skis, boots and a few clothes and just shoulder a 40L backpack. Go light. Sink laundry.

The best way is to pack essentials (outerwear, underwear, goggles, gloves, transceiver, etc) in the 40L pack, carry that on with your boots. Put the rest of the stuff in with the skis and hope they make it. If they don't, youve got enough to ski on the rentals for which the airline will pay until you get your skis, etc.

I would strongly suggest buying bw_wp_hedonism dinner and drinks and he might take you on one of the mindblowing tours around Davos/Klosters.
    Haha I appreciate the shoutout Buster! No need for dinner and drinks to be bought, I’ll take folks around for the fun. I was bummed I couldn’t do it last time with my busted Achilles, but hopefully I’ll be healthy this year!

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    i am thankful, i made the right decision to join the eurobbi
    thanks to my mother for telling me to go. the last ride before everything had changed.
    Man, those really were crazy days... watching the news every day... seeing where the lfits were shutting down and if we were gonna be able to ski anywhere.

Finally surrendering and enjoying the ambience and skinning from Mt. Lodge. :-)

I'm glad too that you made the decision to come!

seriously thinking about this trip, and i was wondering if someone could help me with a few additional details -

1. beyond airfare and $95/night, how expensive is everything else? what's a lift ticket or a pack of tickets cost? what's an average meal cost? trying to figure out if i can afford this right now
    2. how much intermediate terrain is there? is this only for The Best Skiers on the Mountain?
    3. how much touring is there?

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    seriously thinking about this trip, and i was wondering if someone could help me with a few additional details -

1. beyond airfare and $95/night, how expensive is everything else? what's a lift ticket or a pack of tickets cost? what's an average meal cost? trying to figure out if i can afford this right now
    2. how much intermediate terrain is there? is this only for The Best Skiers on the Mountain?
    3. how much touring is there?
    Lift tickets are relatively cheap, Andermatt-Disentis Ski Arena tickets max out at about $70/day, but there are cards and discounts that bring the average below $50/day. Search the old EuroBBI thread for the specials. Some days were less than $20.
    Here's a link to the half price pass: https://www.andermatt-sedrun-disenti.../halbpreis-abo
    I used these guys a few years: https://ski.ticketcorner.ch/de/ander...t-13/skiticket.
    It looks like this years prices haven't been published.

If you stay at MountainLodge, it's an incredibly good deal. vendul will post this years rates soon. In previous years, it was around $110/day for food and lodging.

There's lots of intermediate skiing at all the zones, Disentis, Dieni, OberalpPass, Natschen and even the upper Gemsstock (the lower Gemsstock has a groomed run for better intermediates, but one can ride the tram down).

The touring is nearly infinite. See EuroBBi2019 thread for the Oberalpstock tour we did with 8000 vertical foot drop. Off the backside of the Gemsstock, there's so much touring and a hutte, The Vermigel, but the ridges to the West of the Gemsstock are enormous. One of the most popular areas for touring is the Oberalppass (see picture above). There's the Maigels hutte up in the drainage S. of the train station up there.

link to full size: https://vcdn.bergfex.at/images/resiz...473f243@2x.jpg

^From Hospental to Disentis is about 20 miles across, all on 1 ticket.

All in, you can do this for about $1500 if you limit bar expenses.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 09-24-2021 at 09:30 AM.