Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

How to ski in Yurup for newbies

This question reminds me, I usually post a "public service announcement" message for those who have never skied in the Alps before...

European skiing requires a complete change of mindset. There is no concept of inbounds/out-of-bounds as you think of it back in the States... there is only on-piste/off-piste. The very few "trails" you see marked on the map are really just the pistes, which are the one route they generally have down each area. A piste is a cat tracked line. And in most ski resorts, that is where everyone stays who isn't a "freerider." This was a hilarious sounding word to me at first, but you will hear it used all the time with great seriousness to distinguish those who ski off piste from those who stay on the piste.

"Skiing off piste" basically just means ***skiing*** as North Americans think of it... skiing through glades or down couloirs or in big open bowls. That is why the maps you see don't appear to have a lot of trails, because "trails" aren't marked. Instead, there are just large areas served by lifts and many possible descents to choose from in each area. And it is pretty mind blowing that, apart from the ski resorts that are well known for freeriders, most people stay on these flat, overskied cat tracks all day long!!! Even when there is fresh, untouched snow all around the rest of the mountain for days, even weeks, after a storm!

But there is a good reason they do that actually, because venturing off the side of the piste, even just a few meters (AKA yards ), you are taking your life in your hands (as the Dude would say).
    -- There are no markings for hazards, rocks, cliffs, crevasses, stumps, holes, etcetera.
    -- There is no avalanche control.
    -- There is no ski patrol.
    -- There is no first aid or rescue assistance.

You need to have buddies, a beacon, a shovel, a probe, and **knowledge how to use them** and how to read the terrain for avalanche risk. The risks of not doing so range from falling into a crevasse, triggering a slide, or wrecking yourself badly on a thinly concealed rock patch. These are all things I've seen done just a short hop off the side of a piste. (Or done myself before I figured things out!)

The edges of the pistes are marked with orange poles so you can stay within their limits. And those are generally all the markings you will find on the mountain except for an occasional directional marker where pistes cross. Going along with this minimalist style of mountain management, you will sometimes encounter red/orange **rope barriers**. And you will think those are closed area markings like in North America. But in Europe, these do not mean closed area (except for the few places marked with special signs indicating it is a protected **wildlife area**). Apart from those wildlife areas, the rope barriers are to warn you that it is an especially risk-prone area, meaning it may trigger slides onto skiers below, it might lead to **impassible** cliffs, or it might strand you in another location altogether separated from the base area. But you are completely free to duck the rope and go skiing there, assuming all the risks that come with it.

It's a pretty wild concept for those of us who are used to skiing in a North American mountain management style. And it is truly an experience of freedom in skiing! Very different than the curated and maintained system of marking hazards and cliffs and of ski patrollers doing sweeps for injured skiers or busting rope duckers.

So if you are well equipped, and well trained/experienced, and with good partners, you can really have amazing experiences. But it pays to be very careful and venture off piste slowly at first. Avalanche closures aren't really a thing, so reading the avalanche report in the morning and assessing what is safely reasonable/possible each day is very important as well.

One other thing... storms often also bring serious visibility challenges because European mountains tends to be taller and have a lower tree line than North America, so you are very frequently skiing above tree line. That means no escaping when dense clouds create a clam chowder whiteout and there's nothing on the mountain with contrast except the thin piste marking poles mentioned earlier. (Not my favorite conditions!)

When all these factors line up though... bluebird conditions, good terrain knowledge, and good buddies... it makes for epic descents all day on lines of grandiose dimension and breathtaking untouched expansiveness like nothing you've seen in North America!
    Last edited by carvehard; 02-16-2022 at 03:27 PM.

Ski Advice (my 2 cents)

I will be bringing Nordica Enforcers (110mm wide) with Marker Baron bindings and skins. I had a brand new pair of these last time and absolutely loved how they worked in all conditions. (I also absolutely **wrecked** the sidewall of one the first day in a ridonculously craptacular unforced error. I have replaced them, and this year my goal is to at least get to the 2nd day before destroying my gear. )

It's obviously personal preference, but a versatile ski of about 100 to 110 mm underfoot for me is great for all the conditions you are likely to encounter. I would not go thinner.

And since it's usually 80-90% downhill and maybe just a little bit of skinning, the Marker hybrid bindings are great for me, and I appreciate their rigidity/performance. Many dudes (maybe most) come with proper backcountry bindings and have a blast as well.
    Last edited by carvehard; 02-16-2022 at 03:28 PM.

Last time I did bring two pair of skis, but I was in a rental car so it was easier. This year I’m taking the train and will just do 1 pair. I’m bringing Wildcat 108’s with cast bindings. I am bringing two pairs of boots though. I’m not a technically strong enough skier to go hard in my touring boots.

It sounds like ideal for this trip would be Tectons and stiff touring boots. But that’s not a setup I’d ever use at home, so not practical.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    I am bringing two pairs of boots though. I’m not a technically strong enough skier to go hard in my touring boots.
    This is where i'm at. although do not have cast bindings so def 2 boots and either 2 pairs of skis or demo a pair for resort/charging days...

Question for the locals: It occurs to me that I could forego hauling skis if there is a rental place that carries proper top shelf freeride skis.
    My search has really only shown that the few ski shops in the area only offer 'on piste' models, usually narrow waisted.
    I stumbled across one shop that appeared to offer the K2 line, mindbenders, etc., but can't seem to find it again.

Does anyone know if there are 98-108mm underfoot skis available, relatively close to the Mtn. Lodge?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Question for the locals: It occurs to me that I could forego hauling skis if there is a rental place that carries proper top shelf freeride skis.
    My search has really only shown that the few ski shops in the area only offer 'on piste' models, usually narrow waisted.
    I stumbled across one shop that appeared to offer the K2 line, mindbenders, etc., but can't seem to find it again.

Does anyone know if there are 98-108mm underfoot skis available, relatively close to the Mtn. Lodge?

Thanks...
    ^^^^and if so, daily cost?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That is all a bit dramatic...

There is of course a ski patrol, avalanche control, first aid and rescue. It's just to a different level and liability.

As for rope ducking - you should ask or at least know exactly why it is there. I can think of plenty of ropes used to block off cliff bands or put up when there is uphill avalanche control.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

Thanks...
    I'm pretty sure there is.

Worst case, I know for sure in Andermatt, a 50 minute train ride away, there's Imholz Sport:
    https://imholzsport-andermatt.ch/mie...SAAEgI4q_D_BwE .

It looks like you'd have to email them about exactly what widths they offer. They do offer "freeride"skis. Cost is spelled out. Looks like 129 chf for 5 days.

ping vendul for something closer to mtnlodge_sedrun.

As for schlepping multiple skis, if you're only going to mtnlodge_sedrun, the roller bag is key and you won't die, but the extra weight gets old fast.

It's snowing there, high winds for now, but the fresh is great news.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I’ve also been known to switch bindings for a specific trip.
    I had my Hojis remounted with a set of barons for a trip.
    then just remounted them back with my alpine bindings after the trip in the same old holes. If you can do it yourself (or have a boyfriend 🤣 like I do) it’s basically free.
    I like DJ’s idea of renting too. even easier and I like checking out local shops.
    see already living vicariously thru this trip lol
    skid luxury

Covid rules for passing through Schipol (Amsterdam) : https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/welcome-back-transfers/

For CDG Paris:
    https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/pass...correspondance

Integrated transfer (one single booking reference)
    Your luggage will be transferred automatically by your airline from check-in until final destination.

Your are entitled to remain airside to transfer. Follow the yellow transfer signs indicating your next departure terminal. You must possess and be able to show all necessary travel documents for your entry for your final destination (including a possible RT-PCR or antigenic test, if required by your final destination, as you will not be able to carry your test out during the transfer at Paris Aéroport).

So for CDG, one has to show the Swiss Covid Cert and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 02-16-2022 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    I’m not a technically strong enough skier to go hard in my touring boots.
    Slow pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Another thing: phone chargers.
    Euro/Swiss electrical sockets are different than US electrical sockets.

Buy a Euro/US electrical socket adapter into which you can plug your phone charger. They're just a couple of bucks.
    Yep, and what is cool is that phone chargers adapt from 110 to 240 automatically. Just have to plug them in.

We bought these for Spain/Portugal and they were great. I think the dual plug still works fine in Switzerland where they often have a third prong for ground (just like the US but not everything we plug in uses the ground.)

European Travel Plug Adapter, TESSAN International Power Plug with 2 USB, Type C Outlet Adaptor Charger for US to Most of Europe EU Iceland Spain Italy France Germany https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FJWLLDB...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Great discussion on what skis/tech vs bindings to bring. If my family could have pulled this off this year (we can't) that was a big question.

As well as the possibility of jumping in for a day with the guided group.

Goldmine here. /eurobbiwannabe

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Fyi all swiss covid restrictions are lifted tonight at midnight except for masks on public transport.

-no vax pass/certs
    -no masks in restaurants or shops
    -no 3g,2g+,2g rules for gatherings or events
    -no restrictions on private gatherings

Have fun!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Anyone else want to do a guided day?

Based on my experience last time, I would bring one pair of skis between 105 - 110 underfoot, with frame/cast/burly tech (tecton/shift) bindings and a crossover boot (xt3/cochise).

I would make sure the boots have plenty toe room when walking.

I wonder if Piz Maler will be in play.

Reports are of instabilities that make it sound like less of a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Hmmm, these posts have me rethinking strategy. I was going to bring two pairs of skis, one touring setup and one DH setup. My touring setup isn’t ideal for lifts with MTN’s with no brakes.

You guys just think schlepping two pairs in a roller bag is too big a hassle?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I've only travelled the other way to ak, but I thought two pairs is easily doable in a decent Bag.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    Fyi all swiss covid restrictions are lifted tonight at midnight except for masks on public transport.

-no vax pass/certs
    -no masks in restaurants or shops
    -no 3g,2g+,2g rules for gatherings or events
    -no restrictions on private gatherings

Have fun!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
    Wait, so I no longer need to do the online vax requirement? That would save me a step.

Useful summary of covid restrictions (thanks carvehard)

https://www.traveldoc.aero/

My one and only regret from last trip was not doing Piz Maler. Looking like a lack of proper stability may keep you guys off of it this trip.
    Cravehard put down some knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Useful summary of covid restrictions (thanks carvehard)

https://www.traveldoc.aero/
    Looks like that link may change tomorrow: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...line-1.5783692

Getting freakin stoked!

And remounting my mfree108's with tectons, that'll make me pine a little less for not bringing the loti. Kids have cast and shifts, but my Mrs doesn't tour. She may take a day trip to Italy to see her exchange sister or just skip a ski day if Piz Maler (oh please) or guided is in play.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

The US has not yet changed the requirement for a covid test within 24 hours of take off for return to the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
    vendul says there's a test center in Sedrun that's open at convenient times.

Re: skis and Europe

I think one of the biggest challenges to wrap your brain around is that the look and feel of the trip can vary drastically based on what conditions you are presented with. Stateside a day of skiing is more of less the same old same old.

Across the pond, your day could look like a regular day blasting lift accessed run or it could look like some giant itinerary into another valley returning my bus or train. This will vary based on what the snow conditions, weather and stability are. In order to enjoy yourself to the fullest, be prepared to take advantage of whatever the best option is.

I've had trips where I did not skin once but got the rope out on every run. I've had storm skiing trips where is was just Le Freeride. I've had trips where we took one run a day and went on massive tours.

If you try and force it is one direction or the other you are setting yourself up for frustration.