Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    I'm in! I got the green light from the better half and work, STOKED!

Thanks everyone helping this happen for me, I can't wait. It's always been a dream to ski the Alps for me but life has had it's way with me and it has always seemed like something
    I'd have to put off until my daughter has moved out and on her own.

Andermatt looks insane. Fingers crossed for pow!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

So stoked for you dude. Only problem is that you might want to figure out moving there after a week stay.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    So stoked for you dude. Only problem is that you might want to figure out moving there after a week stay.
    Thanks man and yes, that may indeed be a "problem"
    dirtbag, not a dentist

A little Gemsstock stoke with that legendary ex-pat Dan "Birdo" Loutrel of Andermatt-Guides hitting some of the gnarlier Giraffe variants.

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    A little Gemsstock stoke with that legendary ex-pat Dan "Birdo" Loutrel of Andermatt-Guides hitting some of the gnarlier Giraffe variants.

Is Dan still making Birdo skis? Stopped by his shop last time I was there and checked out a few of his skis and had a short chat with him. It was a long time ago so I don't remember many details but I still have a few Birdo stickers on random things.

Geil! Erstaunlich!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I'm pretty sure "Short skin and a lot of skiing" is Dan's personal mantra.

For anyone considering doing the Urner Haute Route as part of this trip, Dan's the dude you want to do it with. He now has dates up for the '22 outing -- March 21-25. Amazing, costs is still the same as it was 3 years back at 1240CF (1340USD) for 5 days, 4 nights, everything but your lunches and beer. Helluva a way to send out the BBIEuro trip. Plus you finish in Engleberg which makes transport back to Zurich even quicker. (But do ski a day in Engelberg first). https://www.andermatt-guides.ch/copy-of-freeride-2

I sent a PM to the other 3 skilarship grantees about lodging, etc.
    Haven't heard back from Scottski yet, so if ya see this mag, give us a holler and chime in please.

EUROBBI2022 MARCH 1-20 2022 MOUNTAIN LODGE SEDRUN, SWITZERLAND

Fuck I think I might have to go. Will anyone ski with me 🥺

I speak German if it helps, would be a worthy asset

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forum
    Last edited by old mexico; 11-18-2021 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by old mexico View Post
    Fuck I think I might have to go. Will anyone ski with me 🥺

I speak German if it helps, would be a worthy asset

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forum
    More concerning to me is why you think anyone wouldn’t ski with you? What are you hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    More concern: What are you hiding?
    A smelly hat?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Haha I’m just a young blood and don’t know anyone here. I know people here are generally really cool but if there’s touring and avy risk involved I know people aren’t as open.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

don't worry. You'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    A smelly hat?
    That's my purvey.

om: just don't be a dick or an idiot and if you're not keeping up with a group or have a shitty dynamic, just be aware, drop out and ski with someone else. This is why cell coverage is important. There will be faster groups off in the gnar and slower groups that will stick closer to the lifts. A couple of us know the areas pretty well and if the hotel is filled, vendul will ski with us. It has worked out really well in the last few years with folks sifting into preferred partners as well as cramming 2 vans with miscreants and rolling off to awesome days for each where some people just skied the groomers and stopped for lunch and drinks and others went off to ski some amazing sidecountry.

I'm generally slow and ski the old style skinny ski loopy stoner pow turns out on the sidecountry. Some others rage fast. It all works great as long as people are reasonable.

More data on trains from ZRH (Zurich Flughafen) to Rueras (MountaiLodge):

from Zürich Flughafen to Rueras and from Rueras to Zürich Flughafen
    via Zürich HB – Göschenen – Andermatt
    2nd class
    Saver Day Pass - This is what you want to choose.

CHF 61.00

Note: There are 2 routes from Zurich to Rueras, either though Chur or Göschenen. The above example uses Göschenen, but that's not required.

Just be sure to choose the Saver Day Pass.

See https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Are they still doing snow'n'rail this year? That's also an option that saves money on a combi ski ticket and train ticket. I use that for day trips, but I think it could work out on thenhead and tail end of a longer trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Are they still doing snow'n'rail this year? That's also an option that saves money on a combi ski ticket and train ticket. I use that for day trips, but I think it could work out on thenhead and tail end of a longer trip?
    Can you help us figure that out? SBB has some weird options and it seems to have gotten a lot more expensive.

Buster can you select that train option in person or is it an ahead of time thing?

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Buster can you select that train option in person or is it an ahead of time thing?
    Good question. Has to be in advance.
    Here's what I just found:

Saver Day Pass – book earlier, travel cheaper.
    The Saver Day Pass means that it is now even cheaper to spend a day travelling. And you can benefit from this offer even without a Half-Fare travelcard. The earlier you book, the lower the price. Saver Day Passes can easily be bought using the smartphone app or at SBB.ch.

With the Saver Day Pass you can travel throughout Switzerland for a day on all routes in the GA area from as little as CHF 29 with a Half-Fare travelcard and from CHF 52 without a Half-Fare travelcard. Whether on SBB trains or trains of other rail companies, on boats, buses, trams or postbuses, the Saver Day Pass opens up a wide range of routes for you. Furthermore, the Saver Day Pass is available for both 1st and 2nd class. Buy your Saver Day Pass today via the smartphone app or online at SBB.ch.

are only available when booking in advance: from 60 days in advance up to the day before travel. They cannot be purchased on the day of travel;

https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-an...-day-pass.html

Hopefully the sagacious subtle plague or CDS or Leo or Lindahl will chime in.

I know SBB has an app and presumably one could load the tickets on the app.

Right now, though, they haven't yet released pricing on train tickets ZRH<->Rueras for March 1, 2022.

FYI (didn't see any info on it), apparently you need to register here to get your vaccine passport "converted" to a Swiss Vaccine Certificate here (fee = 30 CHF; processing takes a few days):https://covidcertificate-form.admin.ch/form

Website with some more FAQs etc: https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...eltigkeit.html

Fingers crossed they're not going the way Austria is going (just announced ski resort closures until Christmas week I believe). Should hopefully fine by the time the BBI shenanigans roll around (I already made commitments to go in January; otherwise this BBI gathering would be seriously tempting even for this lurker!)

The Swiss kept everything open last year. No way they'll close this year.

And I have no clue about the train thing. Sorry.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by GKWood View Post

Fingers crossed they're not going the way Austria is going (just announced ski resort closures until Christmas week I believe). Should hopefully fine by the time the BBI shenanigans roll around (I already made commitments to go in January; otherwise this BBI gathering would be seriously tempting even for this lurker!)
    update from austria... we are doing lockdown light.
    ski resorts can stay open
    ski resorts can open or close on their own agenda.
    nothing official : ) but just read it in the local newspaper print version (online it is behind the paywall)
    so i guess the glacier resorts and big resorts will run on low capacity and the small ones will wait until christmas.
    and btw if i look out of the window there is nothing to ski on the mountains yet.... of course high up and in the south it is different

https://www.tt.com/artikel/30806518/...uerfen-oeffnen

OK for the trains, best option is saver day pass.

The day pass is good for all public transport country wide. Can be bought day of for full price or in advanced with a discount. With it you can hope on off any transport.

If you plan to spend a day on the front end in Zurich, or wherever, you could opt for a supersaver ticket. These are tickets at quite a substantial discount but you need to take the exact train, so you can't be late. If you miss a connection in transit because of delay or something it's not a problem. Would probably make sense to take this type of ticket for the return trip.

These "saver" tickets are only sold online and in advanced. SBB app is the easiest.

"Snow'n'rail" as mentioned above is only an option if you have a railcard. With that you get a modest discount for both the train and lift ticket and they load it onto the train card. You can also use the service to send your gear and luggage to the hotel, but this only makes sense for families traveling domestically.

So, in conclusion, wait until 60 days out from your arrival and buy the saver day pass. It should be between 30 and 50 depending on the day of the week.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Curious how people are feeling about the trip with the new variant now. I'm cautiously optimistic, but early reports and studies are....concerning. I'm hesitant to book anything else that isn't fully refundable.

It definAtely throws another indeterminate into the mix, so my level of concern has gone up a little.

But I bought a train pass anyway and I'm hopeful that much of the omicron concern, despite being cloned by the d33p state, is a little overblown by the media who promotes and profits from hysteria. Of the reports I've read, the omicron symptoms are light yet there does appear to be some breakthrough cases, vax unknown.