Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Temperature, what's your number?

I was out of town when it got up to 116 here, so I didn't have to make any hard decisions, but this week it's supposed to get up to 107 on Thursday, which is the day I connect with some other riders for a high-effort road ride. I did a hard workout in the mid-90s a few weeks ago and felt OK, but I'm thinking 107 is too much, I don't even want to do a mellow ride in those temps.

What's the hottest temp in which you'll still do hard rides?

I’m generally out at about 88/90, I can tolerate more on the road. Used to be 85, but I had to toughen up. That said, on those days, I rarely ride after 10:00 am or before 6 or 7 pm. This seems to work with the available daylight well.
    We are closer to the sun, FWIW.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

After the 45C heat dome experience, 35C is almost temperate, whereas previously if it was over about 32C I wouldn't get out for hardcore recreation that wasn't river-based. I was out riding at 37C during a clear spell in the smoke 3wks ago, and I felt alright. It's all relative I suppose.

Max temp 100 in heat of the day on gravel or mixed surface, less if it's singletrack with big climbs. I try to get out early to ride when I can.

Minimum temp 20 on mixed/gravel, can go lower if there's lots of climbing involved.

What gets me is the wind, I get tossed around quite regularly. It's hard to motivate if the forecast is for 20+ mph or higher sustained or gusts.

During the heat dome in Portland I got out for a sunrise road ride on the hottest day. I think it was almost in the 90s when I got home at like 8 am. Really just did it to see what it would feel like to be out in such extreme heat so early. 90 is usually my limit for outdoor rec other than swimming. Can handle hotter but don’t enjoy it so why bother.

I’m better with heat than cold. I can trail ride into the upper 20s but if it’s super windy and wet I tap out at like 45 on the road/gravel.

I reschedule for morning if it's going to be >95 [evenings never really offer the same respite]
    esp if it's supposed to be a challenging ride
    or really any exercise that may last longer than an hour

i have a neighbor who went out for a 6mi run @4.30p on our 116 day...just to do it
    i think it was an opportunity for type ii fun for him
    i hid inside that day & bailed on even a morning ride

Yeah, I don't mind being miserable, but I'm worried about getting heatstroke or otherwise screwing myself up by exercising on a really hot day. In my salad days, I cycle toured from Singapore to Hong Kong, with just one day when I probably got a touch of heatstroke, but I have to keep on reminding myself that where young guys get a little hot and need to cool down, old guys fall off their damn bikes and need an ambulance.

It's not the heat it's the humidity. I'm ok in high 80s low 90s if it is a dry heat but once the dewpoint starts getting into the upper 60s or over 70 I cant cool myself down enough with sweat since it just sits there and doesn't evaporate.

90+ and high humidity isn’t unusual especially if I get into a cycle where I’m having to do lunchtime rides. There’s a pretty significant difference between 95 and 100 as far as feeling. Anything 100+ and I’m figuring out ways to get out early, mostly due to safety concerns. I’m a little more flexible if the dew point is lower, but that’s not often the case here (excepting this summer).

I handle heat pretty well, but I know plenty of folks that have no business riding in the heat. Scary shit like pale, clammy skin, slurred speech, and dizziness. It’s one of those things you have to get a feel for to determine what you can handle.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I try to keep my rides early or late - less crowded, the dirt's better, easier to work in around kids, etc. If I'm going during the day, I try to ride when it's 75 or under. Lucky to live in the high country where this is possible. It blows my mind how many people go and ride at 1:00 in the middle of the summer.

I lived in Tucson for a year and a half. When I was really acclimated to the heat I could go ride after work when it was 106 degrees. It wasn’t a problem for me because I sweat a lot and the humidity was 5 to 7 percent. You have to be really careful in heat like that because things go south really quickly if you run out of water.

I have now lived in Seattle for over 5 years. Anything over 90 degrees makes me feel like I’m gonna die.
    U.P.: up

I try to make sure To be off the trail when it’s 80.
    I’m not into Type II fun anymore
    Around here it’s pretty easy to get out early, ride for 90 min and it’s 70 when we finish.
    It used to be easy to get out after 5pm and it was 75 & cooling. Not this year…

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    90+ and high humidity isn’t unusual especially if I get into a cycle where I’m having to do lunchtime rides. There’s a pretty significant difference between 95 and 100 as far as feeling. Anything 100+ and I’m figuring out ways to get out early, mostly due to safety concerns. I’m a little more flexible if the dew point is lower, but that’s not often the case here (excepting this summer).

I handle heat pretty well, but I know plenty of folks that have no business riding in the heat. Scary shit like pale, clammy skin, slurred speech, and dizziness. It’s one of those things you have to get a feel for to determine what you can handle.
    Wet bulb temps matter. Anything over 88 makes exercise all but impossible and 95 basically means you are slowly dieing even without exercise.

The 116 30% humidity Portland experienced is 88 wet bulb.

A dry heat... I can tolerate mid-80's.

Any humidity and high 70's is my limit.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I was out of town when it got up to 116 here, so I didn't have to make any hard decisions, but this week it's supposed to get up to 107 on Thursday, which is the day I connect with some other riders for a high-effort road ride. I did a hard workout in the mid-90s a few weeks ago and felt OK, but I'm thinking 107 is too much, I don't even want to do a mellow ride in those temps.

What's the hottest temp in which you'll still do hard rides?
    Why don't you just find something on the coast where it is supposed to be sunny and not break 70?

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Why don't you just find something on the coast where it is supposed to be sunny and not break 70?
    Well yeah, that would be nice. TBH, I'm pretty jealous of all the cool alpine photos people are posting in the "ride & take pictures" thread. But I'm grinding it out in the anarchist jurisdiction for awhile longer, so I don't have a lot of options for after work rides - suck up the high temps, ride in the basement (not gonna happen in the summer), or take a day off. Besides, it's hard to find bike lanes on the coast, and I have it on excellent authority that some drivers get peevish when asked to share the road.

Above 95 and i wont ride. Above 90 and i wont ride for more than an hour. 85 is the limit for a hard ride. Above 75 i wont take my dog on a ride. 65 is the perfect temp for me on a ride. 55 is the perfect temp for my dog on a ride.

It was 95 today…the east coast humid 95. …and around 90 when I finished 2hrs later. That was about all I could muster.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

One thing I was thinking about today is that we’re almost always riding in the shade of the trees here in the summer. Shade isn’t quite as effective when it’s humid but it still makes a huge difference.

99 today, but lower than normal humidity (70 degree dew point). A little breeze made things tolerable. That and the empty parking lot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1628707619.401059.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	382044
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Planned 5:30pm ride today is going to push my limits at 92* w/ 100% humidity, real feel around 106.

Expecting to feel pretty rough and definitely going full roadie spandex kit even on my trail bike.

It’s truly gnarly right now, 88 degrees with a 76 degree dewpoint. Heat index of 99 degrees. Longer shadows and cruising along at 18mph makes it tolerable. I’m heading out around 5:00 for a 40+ mile ride. I’m lean right now, heat feels good!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Planned 5:30pm ride today is going to push my limits at 92* w/ 100% humidity, real feel around 106.

Expecting to feel pretty rough and definitely going full roadie spandex kit even on my trail bike.
    To quote the lean Buttahflake
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    How many summers like this can y’all endure out there? Do kids play outside when it’s above 100?
    Gonna be 92 here, with RH ~25%. Was dying last week when RH=45%

Nice grab from the AQI thread, um yeah, kinda weird, you are.
    crab in my shoe mouth

moab in september was the hotest i have ever rode whatever that was, it was warm but we kept our knee padz on

it was 23 and the mosquitos are gone today which was a really nice temp
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know