Protection: What is covering your knees?

Went down the rabbit hole the other night looking for new knee protection. Everyone has an offering, all reviews vary from excellent to shit.

What are you guys wearing? Riding terrain: downhill/rock garden/ all mtn.

I’ve used a bunch over the years. I stuck with 7iDP for a while, but I’m currently happy with Fox Launch Pros. They fit me well and stay in place.

7iDP Sam Hills. Not the burliest but I love them and they're fine on climbs even in the heat.

this is going to be like asking for advice on tires but I've really liked the Leatt airflex pro. I wear them just about every ride, usually get a season out of them. For the most part they stay in place and don't slip down or move too much, breathe pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    this is going to be like asking for advice on tires.
    Completely agree, however I wanted to see what the collective group was happy with. My LBS has nothing in stock in my size, so I'll have to order from Jensen or an online retailer.

^This thread was helpful. I snagged some 7iDP Sam Hills and they were surprisingly comfy pedaling, secure and good coverage. Nothing is going to be as comfy as no pads.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I blew up my old ones and got a pair of these on Ebay: https://g-form.com/mountain-bike-knee-shin-guards
    Comfortable but a little hot to pedal in. My shins have taken a beating over the years and these help.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

I've been using the Pearl Izumi Summit this summer and loving them. Well ventilated, great fit and stays in place very well. Nice cut out behind the knee makes them super comfortable.
    Maybe a touch on the lighter side for full on DH, but anything enduro/all mtn/vast majority of bike park riding they have been great.

I run the ultralight POC ones Joint Knee for trail riding. They seem to be a little diff to what is on their site atm. Some old POC VPD air for bike park. Friends run Chromag and love them. That will be the next ones i buy.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    this is going to be like asking for advice on tires
    Or helmets. Everyone just fits differently.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    I've been using the Pearl Izumi Summit this summer and loving them. Well ventilated, great fit and stays in place very well. Nice cut out behind the knee makes them super comfortable.
    Maybe a touch on the lighter side for full on DH, but anything enduro/all mtn/vast majority of bike park riding they have been great.
    I picked these up earlier this year when they were on sale and I'm really happy with them. They're definitely a "trail" pad but anything heavier and I wouldn't wear them consistently.

IXS Flow for pedaling. IXS Dagger for lift served.

I just went through this with the issue being low stock to try them on.
    Ended up with Troy Lee designs speed knee sleeves.
    They fit ok. Several rides on them. No falls and they pedal fine.
    I wanted a bigger size, more comfy, but they guy at the store convinced me they would just move in a crash and need to be snug.
    I don't like the TLD branding "for the world fastest racers" but get along with the products so put up with it.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Hair. Normally I don't ride with any kind of knee protection. If I'm riding lift served or know a trail is going to be brushy then yes, I'll put on my G-Forms, but otherwise riding in Boise doesn't warrant knee armor.

I tried on 6 brands in 2 sizes of each, trying them on is pretty key IMO/IME, i ended up with the Dakine slayer for trail biking,

I'm pretty sure back in the days of King Arthur & the knights of the round table buddy didnt leave his armor back at the castle cuz he was just going down to the corner for a pack of smokes

SO just in case I always wear knee & wrist-to-elbow padz for enduro trail kind of riding
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My yes / no on wearing the pads has less to do with what the trail looks like and more to do with the temperature. Much over 80° and I'm not wearing pads unless the trail is really rowdy. Lift served is exempted on that - I pretty much always wear pads if I'm just running lifts.

I like the IXS flow but still typically pull them down when pedaling when at all possible.

I have found that any knee pads, regardless of how unrestrictive still cause knee pain (due to the compression) and accelerate cramping on longer epics. As soon as I pull them down it goes away. This obviously isn't your pedal up one lap and descent deal but have found it interesting and duplicated many, many times on longer rides with many different knee pads.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    My yes / no on wearing the pads has less to do with what the trail looks like and more to do with the temperature. Much over 80° and I'm not wearing pads unless the trail is really rowdy. Lift served is exempted on that - I pretty much always wear pads if I'm just running lifts.
    This is pretty much my bar as well. However this summer I’ve been really avoiding wearing any padding and it feels great. I guess I’ll see you all in the gimp room.

I would really like a super lightweight set of knee & elbow pads that were easy to carry and put on for the down with no hassle.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    I like the IXS flow but still typically pull them down when pedaling when at all possible.

I have found that any knee pads, regardless of how unrestrictive still cause knee pain (due to the compression) and accelerate cramping on longer epics. As soon as I pull them down it goes away. This obviously isn't your pedal up one lap and descent deal but have found it interesting and duplicated many, many times on longer rides with many different knee pads.
    If you get the ones that are not like sleeves, with straps only, on the up you loosen the knee strap and there's no pressure on the knee cap.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

otoh when you auger in and start ground surfing a sleeve & strap combo is whats going to keep the padz in place TO do their job

some people pull their padz down around the ankles and sideways for the up which gives some relief but I've alwasy thot of mtn biking as a hot dirty uncomfortabe game and then I'm not dissapointed

With the sleeve you do have to remember to put your padz on before your shoes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post

Interesting! My knee started to feel achy recently and I didn't think if the knee pads. I didn't even pull mine down for a road spin back to finish the loop. Next time I will.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    otoh when you auger in and start ground surfing a sleeve & strap combo is whats going to keep the padz in place TO do their job
    Maybe to an extent, but IME, the strap above the calf muscle makes the biggest difference. Sleeves also make things even hotter.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I've been happy with my Leatt Airflex Pros for trail riding. I wear them on my longest, hottest rides and they're mostly invisible. I bought them because they have mcl/lcl protection somewhat rare in a trail weight pad. Going on 2 seasons with them, they still stay up and do the job.