Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bluetooth receiver for home "entertainment" center?

I've decided that our phones are the center of our electronic entertainment universes right now, except for Netflix and cinema streaming, if you still have cable. So, instead of trying to get Spotify and radio stations through my receiver, I just want to do it through my phone.
    Anybody have a Bluetooth device plugged into their receiver that does this, like a Roku for music?

The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

Auris BlueMe HD. I have it hooked up to a Yamaha integrated amp and Elac speakers. Sounds pretty good IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I use a Chromecast Audio and it works great. The nice thing is that it handles the streaming so if I get a text or whatever it doesn't interrupt the music.

I don't think they make them anymore but maybe you could find a used one?

sonos
    it's not even close

Chromecast is pretty much exactly what you're describing, assuming you're satisfied with your current speakers and not some super nerdy audiophile. We use it at work all day everyday and it functions reliably.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    sonos
    it's not even close
    I think he is talking about a cheap BT device to play through existing receiver/speaker, not a whole wireless system.

This is what i use: https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Spe...75127969&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Auris BlueMe HD. I have it hooked up to a Yamaha integrated amp and Elac speakers. Sounds pretty good IMHO.
    2nd the Auris BlueMe. I have one plugged into the aux port on my old Marantz and it is very convenient. Pairs fast and sounds ok.

I use AppleTV for this - you can stream from your iPhone to the AppleTV via AirPlay. It's pretty seamless if you already have an iPhone or Mac.

Cool. Auris ordered.

I'd cancel. Bluetooth is not the right call. an airplay or Chromecast receiver, or Spotify connect is what you want.

Bluetooth cons:
    phone needs to be in range
    quality is trash
    all notifications go through system

if you go airplay, Chromecast or Spotify connect. none of those are issues. they go over wifi and even if you disconnect from wifi. it'll keep the same playlist going.

also. no pairing bullshit....

... man Bluetooth is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    I'd cancel. Bluetooth is not the right call. an airplay or Chromecast receiver, or Spotify connect is what you want.

Bluetooth cons:
    phone needs to be in range
    quality is trash
    all notifications go through system

if you go airplay, Chromecast or Spotify connect. none of those are issues. they go over wifi and even if you disconnect from wifi. it'll keep the same playlist going.
    ^ This. Here’s what I have. Very, very happy with it.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...rch_asin_title

The Amazon Echo Input also looks like it would work. Though it's currently unavailable.

They don't make the Echo Input any more AFAIK, but it works like you'd think. You can also use it as a castable device for Spotify Connect.

Spotify Connect can be its own can of worms sometimes though. It's temperamental.

I've had good success with Spotify connect assuming the device using it has a solid internet connection. I've had some using wifi in poor areas of the house and they have been definitely temperamental. blaming the wifi though.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    2nd the Auris BlueMe. I have one plugged into the aux port on my old Marantz and it is very convenient. Pairs fast and sounds ok.
    3rd this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Valid points, thanks.

If you’ve got iPhones, you can use an Apple Airport Express, it’s got an audio out which you can plug into a receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

I dunno, I have an older high end system with an Audioengine B1 streaming aptx from the phone, and it sounds as good as CD's to me. I'd bet Bun Buns isn't trying to stream into a Mark Levinson preamp with B&W Nautilus speakers. He'll be fine with the Auris.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I dunno, I have an older high end system with an Audioengine B1 streaming aptx from the phone, and it sounds as good as CD's to me. I'd bet Bun Buns isn't trying to stream into a Mark Levinson preamp with B&W Nautilus speakers. He'll be fine with the Auris.
    aptx is better, but comparability is still surpringly hit and miss.

I've always just found compression to be terrible. headphones is not too bad, but on actual speakers it's noticably poor.

FWIW, The Auris BluMe HD is aptX HD. $119 for the convenience was worth it for me to control music from my pocket, especially hosting a BBQ or evening get together when people are talking anyways.

Yeah, old school audiophile here with tube amps and Quad speakers. Chucked that over the side a long time ago. Now, all you need is a phone and bluetooth to access like anything ever recorded. Mostly I listen to high end garage rock, so, whatever. I mean, I first heard the Beatles and Stones through a five inch speaker in a dashboard. It was great.

aptx is better, but comparability is still surpringly hit and miss.

I've always just found compression to be terrible. headphones is not too bad, but on actual speakers it's noticably poor.
    It depends on the source files too? If you use Spotify, my understanding is the files are compressed, and even more so when streamed from the phone which it sounds like Benny wants to do. I saw Spotify came out with a new Hifi version but I haven't heard it.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

It depends on the source files too? If you use Spotify, my understanding is the files are compressed, and even more so when streamed from the phone which it sounds like Benny wants to do. I saw Spotify came out with a new Hifi version but I haven't heard it.
    Yeah absolutely does. 'highest' setting on spotify for ages was ~320 kbps which is pretty damn high (apparently they've been testing lossless). At 320 though, even my parents can hear the difference between bluetooth and something like Spotify connect (where they probably can't hear the difference between 320 and lossless). I don't nerd out SUPER hard over audio quality, but when there's these huge jumps, I generally try to avoid the lesser tech.

Also wandering around the house with my phone in my pocket and having the audio cutting in and out because of range just sounds annoying.

That said, I have friends who play everything over shitty bluetooth speakers, so I realize for some people all of this stuff does NOT matter.

Yeah absolutely does. 'highest' setting on spotify for ages was ~320 kbps which is pretty damn high (apparently they've been testing lossless). At 320 though, even my parents can hear the difference between bluetooth and something like Spotify connect (where they probably can't hear the difference between 320 and lossless). I don't nerd out SUPER hard over audio quality, but when there's these huge jumps, I generally try to avoid the lesser tech.

Also wandering around the house with my phone in my pocket and having the audio cutting in and out because of range just sounds annoying.

That said, I have friends who play everything over shitty bluetooth speakers, so I realize for some people all of this stuff does NOT matter.
    Have you tried Amazon Ultra HD?

IMO kicks Sonos ass with either the Auris, an Echo dongle or the set-up that I use in the office (rarely these days) a DAC and good headphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........