Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    48,773

    Bluetooth receiver for home "entertainment" center?

    I've decided that our phones are the center of our electronic entertainment universes right now, except for Netflix and cinema streaming, if you still have cable. So, instead of trying to get Spotify and radio stations through my receiver, I just want to do it through my phone.
    Anybody have a Bluetooth device plugged into their receiver that does this, like a Roku for music?

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,904
    Auris BlueMe HD. I have it hooked up to a Yamaha integrated amp and Elac speakers. Sounds pretty good IMHO.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,483
    I use a Chromecast Audio and it works great. The nice thing is that it handles the streaming so if I get a text or whatever it doesn't interrupt the music.

    I don't think they make them anymore but maybe you could find a used one?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    15,840
    sonos
    it's not even close

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fraggle Rock, CO
    Posts
    6,569
    Chromecast is pretty much exactly what you're describing, assuming you're satisfied with your current speakers and not some super nerdy audiophile. We use it at work all day everyday and it functions reliably.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    sonos
    it's not even close
    I think he is talking about a cheap BT device to play through existing receiver/speaker, not a whole wireless system.

    This is what i use: https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Spe...75127969&psc=1

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    DownEast
    Posts
    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Auris BlueMe HD. I have it hooked up to a Yamaha integrated amp and Elac speakers. Sounds pretty good IMHO.
    2nd the Auris BlueMe. I have one plugged into the aux port on my old Marantz and it is very convenient. Pairs fast and sounds ok.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    188
    I use AppleTV for this - you can stream from your iPhone to the AppleTV via AirPlay. It's pretty seamless if you already have an iPhone or Mac.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    48,773
    Cool. Auris ordered.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    [a] Van [down by the river]
    Posts
    1,455
    I'd cancel. Bluetooth is not the right call. an airplay or Chromecast receiver, or Spotify connect is what you want.

    Bluetooth cons:
    phone needs to be in range
    quality is trash
    all notifications go through system

    if you go airplay, Chromecast or Spotify connect. none of those are issues. they go over wifi and even if you disconnect from wifi. it'll keep the same playlist going.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    [a] Van [down by the river]
    Posts
    1,455
    also. no pairing bullshit....

    ... man Bluetooth is crap.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    13,669
    Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    I'd cancel. Bluetooth is not the right call. an airplay or Chromecast receiver, or Spotify connect is what you want.

    Bluetooth cons:
    phone needs to be in range
    quality is trash
    all notifications go through system

    if you go airplay, Chromecast or Spotify connect. none of those are issues. they go over wifi and even if you disconnect from wifi. it'll keep the same playlist going.
    ^ This. Here’s what I have. Very, very happy with it.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...rch_asin_title

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,483
    The Amazon Echo Input also looks like it would work. Though it's currently unavailable.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    167
    They don't make the Echo Input any more AFAIK, but it works like you'd think. You can also use it as a castable device for Spotify Connect.

    Spotify Connect can be its own can of worms sometimes though. It's temperamental.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    [a] Van [down by the river]
    Posts
    1,455
    I've had good success with Spotify connect assuming the device using it has a solid internet connection. I've had some using wifi in poor areas of the house and they have been definitely temperamental. blaming the wifi though.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    32,503
    Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    2nd the Auris BlueMe. I have one plugged into the aux port on my old Marantz and it is very convenient. Pairs fast and sounds ok.
    3rd this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    also. no pairing bullshit....

    ... man Bluetooth is crap.
    Valid points, thanks.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    517
    If you’ve got iPhones, you can use an Apple Airport Express, it’s got an audio out which you can plug into a receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,943
    Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    also. no pairing bullshit....

    ... man Bluetooth is crap.
    I dunno, I have an older high end system with an Audioengine B1 streaming aptx from the phone, and it sounds as good as CD's to me. I'd bet Bun Buns isn't trying to stream into a Mark Levinson preamp with B&W Nautilus speakers. He'll be fine with the Auris.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    [a] Van [down by the river]
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I dunno, I have an older high end system with an Audioengine B1 streaming aptx from the phone, and it sounds as good as CD's to me. I'd bet Bun Buns isn't trying to stream into a Mark Levinson preamp with B&W Nautilus speakers. He'll be fine with the Auris.
    aptx is better, but comparability is still surpringly hit and miss.

    I've always just found compression to be terrible. headphones is not too bad, but on actual speakers it's noticably poor.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    DownEast
    Posts
    1,647
    FWIW, The Auris BluMe HD is aptX HD. $119 for the convenience was worth it for me to control music from my pocket, especially hosting a BBQ or evening get together when people are talking anyways.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    48,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I dunno, I have an older high end system with an Audioengine B1 streaming aptx from the phone, and it sounds as good as CD's to me. I'd bet Bun Buns isn't trying to stream into a Mark Levinson preamp with B&W Nautilus speakers. He'll be fine with the Auris.
    Yeah, old school audiophile here with tube amps and Quad speakers. Chucked that over the side a long time ago. Now, all you need is a phone and bluetooth to access like anything ever recorded. Mostly I listen to high end garage rock, so, whatever. I mean, I first heard the Beatles and Stones through a five inch speaker in a dashboard. It was great.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,943
    Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    aptx is better, but comparability is still surpringly hit and miss.

    I've always just found compression to be terrible. headphones is not too bad, but on actual speakers it's noticably poor.
    It depends on the source files too? If you use Spotify, my understanding is the files are compressed, and even more so when streamed from the phone which it sounds like Benny wants to do. I saw Spotify came out with a new Hifi version but I haven't heard it.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    [a] Van [down by the river]
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    It depends on the source files too? If you use Spotify, my understanding is the files are compressed, and even more so when streamed from the phone which it sounds like Benny wants to do. I saw Spotify came out with a new Hifi version but I haven't heard it.
    Yeah absolutely does. 'highest' setting on spotify for ages was ~320 kbps which is pretty damn high (apparently they've been testing lossless). At 320 though, even my parents can hear the difference between bluetooth and something like Spotify connect (where they probably can't hear the difference between 320 and lossless). I don't nerd out SUPER hard over audio quality, but when there's these huge jumps, I generally try to avoid the lesser tech.

    Also wandering around the house with my phone in my pocket and having the audio cutting in and out because of range just sounds annoying.

    That said, I have friends who play everything over shitty bluetooth speakers, so I realize for some people all of this stuff does NOT matter.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    32,503
    Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    Yeah absolutely does. 'highest' setting on spotify for ages was ~320 kbps which is pretty damn high (apparently they've been testing lossless). At 320 though, even my parents can hear the difference between bluetooth and something like Spotify connect (where they probably can't hear the difference between 320 and lossless). I don't nerd out SUPER hard over audio quality, but when there's these huge jumps, I generally try to avoid the lesser tech.

    Also wandering around the house with my phone in my pocket and having the audio cutting in and out because of range just sounds annoying.

    That said, I have friends who play everything over shitty bluetooth speakers, so I realize for some people all of this stuff does NOT matter.
    Have you tried Amazon Ultra HD?

    IMO kicks Sonos ass with either the Auris, an Echo dongle or the set-up that I use in the office (rarely these days) a DAC and good headphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •