I need to speak to the manager, damn it

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...htmare/619650/ articulates better than I could something that has bugged me for a while.

For generations, American shoppers have been trained to be nightmares. The pandemic has shown just how desperately the consumer class clings to the feeling of being served.
    …..

Customers might not have been able to afford a household staff to do their bidding like the era’s truly wealthy, but corporate stores offered them a little taste of what that would be like. The middle class began to see itself as the small-time beneficiaries of industrialization’s barons.

As department stores rose in cities across the country, another enduring facet of service work was gaining ground in other types of businesses: tipping. Previously confined to a few lavish European-owned hotels in America, tipping “aristocratized consumption,” Leach writes, offering the middle class another glimpse of upper-class comfort and power. Tipping ratcheted up the level of control that members of the middle class could exercise over the service workers beneath them: Consumers could deny payment—effectively, deny workers their wages—for anything less than complete submission.
    Article also discusses the intensely hierarchical Frequent Flyer system, which benefitted me for many years but kinda bugged me.

Insightful, thanks for the link.

I like to lead with " don't you know who I am ? "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Unfortunately the Atlantic is paywalled for me.

More than any where else I have benefited from free replacements in the ski industry. Most times it is the retailer sparking me up and not a direct ask on my part. Felt weird a few times. Rationalized it as my own unique pro deal. Companies always start off with my money then I get sponsored

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Popped up in the junk thread, seemed relevant:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...ght-attendant/

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post

More than any where else I have benefited from free replacements in the ski industry. Most times it is the retailer sparking me up and not a direct ask on my part. Felt weird a few times. Rationalized it as my own unique pro deal. Companies always start off with my money then I get sponsored
    Incognito mode will allow you to view a few articles per month free.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post

Type outline.com/ in front of the url and ta fucking da, paywall defeated.

Outline.com/https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/08/pandemic-american-shoppers-nightmare/619650/

The Atlantic is worth $40/year, don't be a cheapskate.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3pumps-toffee-nut-syr-3-pumps-vanilla-ipup-raspberry-syru-purds-sf-cinn-dolce-2-pumps-sf-vanill.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	381504  

Dayum.

But they just call it a "Splat".

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    The Atlantic is worth $40/year, don't be a cheapskate.
    And don’t forget to tip your journalist.