DIY Stump Grinding?

Long story short, we had to remove a tree last year that is near the street on the strip of land between me and the neighbor. Our tree was dying and we (my father and I) successfully took it down without clipping any power lines, hitting houses or killing any of the big bushes along the property line.

Score!

Just planted a birch to replace it which likely will fill in the space in the next 10 years or so.

I left about 2.5' of stump thinking I'd carve it into a chair for the kids to hang out in, but am now thinking I'd rather have it gone.

Stump is about 78" diameter.

I can take it down to ground level with the saw, but then what?

Would really like to avoid hiring a tree company to come in and grind it if I can figure it out. Goal is to plant grass over it that will blend in with the rest.

Roots definitely extend under both my and the neighbors driveway.

Is there something I can do to get it low enough to put in soil and sod and get grass growing there?

Tree poking through on the left for scale, couldn't find a better picture:

Name:  lb3563d45-m29xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpeg
Views: 570
Size:  44.5 KB

Stump:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210803_170513.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	381419

rent a stump grinder from sunbelt or if you have access to a skid steer, rent an attachment. grinder rental will run you about $300 for the day but you should be able to knock that out in less than an hour. to get your money's worth, ask neighbors if they have any stumps and tell em you'll take care of them for $50 a pop.

burning the stump is a much cheaper option but my success has varied. the best way i have found is to get a 55 gallon metal drum. cut off the top and bottom and make a hole in the side near the bottom. feed a section of aluminum dryer vent duct into the hole. you will attach the other end of the duct to a leafblower to stoke the flames.

before you start to burn, drill a shit ton of holes at least 1/2" in diameter and as deep as your bit will allow all over the top and sides of the stump. pour gasoline into these holes. put drum around stump. fill bottom of drum with charcoal. ignite. let burn. replenish charcoal as needed. it will take awhile.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    rent a stump grinder from sunbelt or if you have access to a skid steer, rent an attachment. grinder rental will run you about $300 for the day but you should be able to knock that out in less than an hour. to get your money's worth, ask neighbors if they have any stumps and tell em you'll take care of them for $50 a pop.

burning the stump is a much cheaper option but my success has varied. the best way i have found is to get a 55 gallon metal drum. cut off the top and bottom and make a hole in the side near the bottom. feed a section of aluminum dryer vent duct into the hole. you will attach the other end of the duct to a leafblower to stoke the flames.

before you start to burn, drill a shit ton of holes at least 1/2" in diameter and as deep as your bit will allow all over the top and sides of the stump. pour gasoline into these holes. put drum around stump. fill bottom of drum with charcoal. ignite. let burn. replenish charcoal as needed. it will take awhile.
    This is all spot on. When asking the neighbors about grinding their stumps, mention you're considering burning it out over the course of several days as an alternative.

ANFO

Call a grinding service. I had a bunch of stumps and it wound up being cheaper to have someone come take care of it instead of renting. The grinder the guy brought was not like anything you can rent around here. He ground them below grade to 18”. Get them as close to the ground as you can before they show up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Call a grinding service. I had a bunch of stumps and it wound up being cheaper to have someone come take care of it instead of renting. The grinder the guy brought was not like anything you can rent around here. He ground them below grade to 18”. Get them as close to the ground as you can before they show up.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Got a truck and a chain? Dig, chop, pull. Seriously, hiring a pro is the right call for stumps. Bring out a chair and a cooler and watch the show.

And ear plugs

That stump is calling you a pussy. You took its head, but its foot is taunting you. 78" across? Seriously? That needs a D8 or 300 series excavator to pull out. Or get funky with the pyrotechnics.

Get a professional grinder and go deep. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    ....get funky with the pyrotechnics.
    ^^my vote!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Drill holes in the stump & wait for rain.

After 3 months, hit it with a propane torch ($30 frame thrower from Harbor Tools) ; best a night.

Local FD is less than 1/4 mile away, and I have a feeling they would frown on a long burn in a residential neighborhood.

I said 78" diameter. Meant circumference... #facepalm

Sounds like I need to price rentals vs a pro.

The amount of digging and root cutting I'd have to do is probably not feasible to yank it with a chain.

I know a few people in town who run tree companies, will probably have to go that route. Oh well..

Thanks guys, probably gonna have to bite the bullet on this one I guess. Just hate paying "pros" to do things I can manage myself. I guess in this case it's a matter of the right equipment for the job, and I just don't have it.

Why you need grass on it?? Grass sucks - you'll just have to mow it. Just cut the stump flush with a chainsaw and forget about it!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I know a few people in town who run tree companies, will probably have to go that route.
    Obvious answer was obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    ANFO
    He’s not wrong

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by beeeom View Post
    Why you need grass on it?? Grass sucks - you'll just have to mow it. Just cut the stump flush with a chainsaw and forget about it!
    this ^^ or you could leave it higher to be a planter

also if you drilll holes in it, fill them with fertilizer the wood will rot out faster
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

+1 for just hiring a local tree guy to do it.
    +1 for reaching out to all the neighbors, economy of scale and all….

The cheap HD rentals are only good for smaller stumps.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I had a tree guy take care of one for me when he was here doing some other tree work and it was super reasonable, way less than renting a grinder from HD. He may have charged a bit more if he wasn't already here, but it still would have probably come in cheaper.

just rented a stump grinder for $135 in MT and took care of two medium size stumps in less than two hours. Super simple and cool machine. Impossible to get the trees guys over here lately so we dealt with it all on our own.
    People who live in Grass houses shouldn't get stoned ~Michner

The affordable tree guys here don’t grind stumps. They hand out cards for the stump grinders.

My grinder is a fire fighter that grinds for extra money. And it’s not much. Ask around and find the one man operation. Might be the same price as the rental.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    My grinder is a fire fighter that grinds for extra money. And it’s not much. Ask around and find the one man operation. Might be the same price as the rental.
    a lap dance is a grinder rental.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    a GAY lap dance is a grinder rental.
    FIFY
    And lulz
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    FIFY
    And lulz
    oh, i didn't realize you were of that persuasion. nttawwt.