Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favorite packable rain jacket?

Looking for something to keep me dry(ish) when caught in monsoonal downpours. Hood is a bonus.

Love my Arc'teryx Zeta FL. Weighs around 8oz, super packable, somewhat trim fit for a shell so it doesn't flap around like crazy, and the best part is it somehow breathes a lot better than any other shell I've used. Downside is no pit zips. It is discontinued but can be found on sale. Extremely similar to the current Zeta SL but uses a much thinner fabric so its lighter and smaller.

I’m going to tagalong here. I’m waffling between the OR Helium and Patty Rainshadow.

I understand the OR is “hyper light” but i’m concerned about durability. My wife has a rainshadow and it appears better for cycling and more everyday use.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    These are extremely light weight and pack down pretty small. I keep one in my pack for long alpine rides when an afternoon storm might roll in.

https://www.freeridesystems.com/product/men-s

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I’m going to tagalong here. I’m waffling between the OR Helium and Patty Rainshadow.

I understand the OR is “hyper light” but i’m concerned about durability. My wife has a rainshadow and it appears better for cycling and more everyday use.
    The Helium is a great piece for climbing but terrible for biking for 2 reasons. First is that it has poor breathability so unless you're only wearing it for downhills you will sweat like crazy unless its completely unzipped. Second is the cut is short so it leaves your lower back exposed when you're in riding position.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    These are extremely light weight and pack down pretty small. I keep one in my pack for long alpine rides when an afternoon storm might roll in.

Is that the blue Neoshell that has the tiny grid?

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Is that the blue Neoshell that has the tiny grid?
    No tiny grid and sold out of Blue.

Also see this link:

https://www.freeridesystems.com/prod...tem-collection

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

Is there a tag on FRS jackets to confirm the fabric? I think I have an Antero II+ but don’t know if it’s the lightweight version.

Is there a tag on FRS jackets to confirm the fabric? I think I have an Antero II+ but don’t know if it’s the lightweight version.
    There are no tags marking which weight fabric, but if you PM me or email help@freeridesystems.com with your name we can look up your old order and figure out exactly which jacket you have.

My packable hardshell is a patagonia houdini though it doesn't breathe great. My packable softshell is a Rab Borealis, which breathes great but just has a DWR coating so it's going to start getting wet in about 30 minutes.

I like the helium, old and new version. Not very breathable but keep me dry in everything but a downpour. My older version had a delam around the zipper and they sent me the new version which is more packable but still waterproof.
    No issues for me on the fit but I ride mostly mtb/gravel so more upright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Patagonia M10 if you can find it (discontinued) or the new Storm10. Arc'teryx Alpha SL Pullover is also a good option. Those are the lightest true waterproof shells that are "durable". Alpha FL Jacket is another option.

Zpacks vertice https://zpacks.com/products/vertice-rain-jacket and EE visp https://enlightenedequipment.com/men...-jacket-stock/ are popular with the backpacking crew.

In my experience the OR helium is neither waterproof nor breathable.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    My packable hardshell is a patagonia houdini though it doesn't breathe great. My packable softshell is a Rab Borealis, which breathes great but just has a DWR coating so it's going to start getting wet in about 30 minutes.
    I have the Houdini and it is waterproof for about 3 seconds. Great wind shell though.

I have a shake-dry. Doesn't wet out, packs down to the size of a beer can, looks ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by springsproject View Post
    I have a shake-dry. Doesn't wet out, packs down to the size of a beer can, looks ridiculous.
    Tighter fitting? Looks rediculous good or bad? Shake dry is a technology and not a brand? Looking for a cycling option. Shake dry cycling jackets are $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Tighter fitting? Looks rediculous good or bad? Shake dry is a technology and not a brand? Looking for a cycling option. Shake dry cycling jackets are $$$$
    I ordered a Gore Shake Dry jacket in the spring. It looked like it was made from a contractor trash bag and the fit was very Euro/athletic. I didn’t realize the model I ordered had a light insulating layer on the inside and wouldn’t have worked for summertime rides, so I returned it.

Favorite packable rain jacket?

I ordered a Gore Shake Dry jacket in the spring. It looked like it was made from a contractor trash bag and the fit was very Euro/athletic. I didn’t realize the model I ordered had a light insulating layer on the inside and wouldn’t have worked for summertime rides, so I returned it.
    Rainshadow is totally fine. Waterproof, packable and light. I wore one for like 200+ days before the inner lining started to deteriorate. I used it as my spring skiing shell too and took some good spills in it without tears. I still have it. Yours for free if it doesn’t have to be fully waterproof any more
    UPS brown.
    Uno mas

Did the instructions say to only be worn with shaved legs?

Frankly, I don't mind getting wet in the summer. It's the shoulder season that can suck. So maybe a little insulation would be good although I guarantee that jacket you mention was stupid expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I got mine as a gift from a friend, it was second-hand so the sizing is a little weird. It's a roadie/euro fit but it works for me, maybe a tad too big but I can't complain. It's Gore that makes it, but mine is branded as Castelli. The logos are long since torn off - they were basically just a sticker anyway - so now I look slightly less roadie, slightly.

Looking ridiculous is in reference to it looking like a garbage bag. It functions so well though and packs down to nothing that I could care less about how dumb I look. I don't imagine I'll go back to a multi-layered gore-tex type jacket when the time comes to replace this one.

I ended up getting a similar one for the better half that is isn't cycling specific and has a hood. Spendy but worth it imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Rainshadow is totally fine. Waterproof, packable and light. I wore one for like 200+ days before the inner lining started to deteriorate. I used it as my spring skiing shell too and took some good spills in it without tears. I still have it. Yours for free if it doesn’t have to be fully waterproof any more
    UPS brown.
    Thanks for the offer, but a I’ve got several “not quite waterproof” rain jackets hanging in the closet already.

Since you said dry(ish), I'll throw the OR Tantrum II into the mix. I haven't worn it in anything heavy, but it's been fine in light rain and wet conditions. It's definitely more windbreaker than rain jacket, though. It breathes well, and it's stretchy which I really like cause I could go with the smaller without feeling like fat guy in a little coat.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I wear the arc’teryx zeta SL and while not the smallest package or lightest, it is very waterproof, very breathable and has good coverage on back. Plus the excellent hood that dead bird is known for.

Arcteryx Norvan LT.
    Only 190g (6.7oz). Packs super small, fits in my hip pack if needed.
    Hood does not fit over my helmet, but its a tighter hood and fits under my helmet fit is really coming down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Arcteryx Norvan LT.
    Only 190g (6.7oz). Packs super small, fits in my hip pack if needed.
    Hood does not fit over my helmet, but its a tighter hood and fits under my helmet fit is really coming down.
    How long have you had it? Any comments on durability or sizing (compared to Zeta or Beta series)

Slim fitting. I'm 5'11" 190lbs, I'm a large in everything Arcteryx.
    If I have to wear a thick hoody under this piece its slim/tight.
    Bike jersey, short sleeve under it it perfect.
    Had it for 4-5 years, no wear, no signs of abuse. It get packed into my bike bag for any long rides, and alway in my travel suitcase.