Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Dirtlej and just pack the zip-offs.

I used a Marmot precip for a few seasons. Seldom get caught in the rain, but when I did that jacket didn't keep me dry. Seepage through arms and shoulders. Packed down nice, though. Liner starting to flake off in places.

I decided to replace it before starting the colorado trail as friends had mentioned heavy monsoon rains in the San Juans. I went home with an OR Helium, but after talking to a couple friends who had them took it back and got an REI XeroDry GTX gore tex jacket. No more messing around with ultra light packable jackets...well I can still use the precip for that. Very happy with the REI jacket. Kept me dry except where the rain rolled down off my face. Has a hood that fits over my bike helmet. And breathes enough that I could wear it while climbing without excessive sweat.

My Precip is doing the same flaking liner.
    So now it lives with my tool kit, under the water bottle compartment, on my Trek.

Showers Pass is tops for cycling rain gear IMHO - pick one of these that fits your weight and packability criteria: https://www.showerspass.com/collecti...rproof-jackets Designed for riding with a long tail and good vents that let out heat and condensation but still protect from weather. IMHO miracle fabrics only do so much, vents do the rest. I use my hardshell version (Showers Passs Elite) for road / gravel riding (and it's pretty good for skiing in a downpour as well).
    Last edited by ts01; 08-06-2021 at 04:15 PM.

If anyone is "all in" on Shakedry gore I have a womans Med C7 available. I bought it on Poshmark taking a chance that it was mislabeled as a womans but was actually a mens (tags are non-gender). It's definitely a womans. it's super cool. Basically brand new. Mag deal.

https://www.gorewear.com/us/en-us/c7...et-100258.html

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    If anyone is "all in" on Shakedry gore I have a womans Med C7 available. I bought it on Poshmark taking a chance that it was mislabeled as a womans but was actually a mens (tags are non-gender). It's definitely a womans. it's super cool. Basically brand new. Mag deal.

How's the sizing on that thing? Doubt a ladies M would fit a 5'11" 165 lbs guy but I might as well ask...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    How's the sizing on that thing? Doubt a ladies M would fit a 5'11" 165 lbs guy but I might as well ask...
    If it fit 5'11" and 165 I would have kept it. This one is for the womenz or maybe a dude who wears a small (funkendrenchman?)

If it fit 5'11" and 165 I would have kept it. This one is for the womenz or maybe a dude who wears a small (funkendrenchman?)
    5'8" 145?

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    FWIW, the Men's fits in a very "trim / aero / roadie" manner. The Men's Medium will barely fit 5'11" 165.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    5'8" 145?
    Not sure Funken ... up to you if you are in the market and want to gamble. I'd let it go for a hunsky which is what I paid. You could probably resell for that amount without too much trouble.

Endura Pakajak
    What does a Scottish company know about rain, right?
    Priced in the $50-$70 neighborhood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Bump. Any updates on the options suggested in this thread? Looking for the same thing as OP: Packable waterproof layer for those short but strong downpours during longer rides in/around the alpine. Currently leaning towards lighter, less featured options (Rab Phantom, EE Visp, etc.)

I just got a 7mesh Oro, it’s amazing. Gore Shakedry, 90 grams, packs to like 1/2 a water bottle. However, I had to exchange it for an XL, the L was seriously roadie-slim.
    I found them on sale for a little over $200.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

The discontinued Arcteryx Zeta FL is one of my favorite pieces of gear. It weighs 7oz but is much more wind resistant than lighter shells while still being breathable enough. When I don't expect any weather I have been using the Marmot Bantamweight which is like a more refined version of the OR Helium, same Pertex Shield material but better fit and finish. Its only an ounce or so lighter but packs down smaller. I've been curious about superlite shells from small manufacturers like EE and Lightheart Gear but I like the warranty support from the big companies on jackets when zippers break or the material delaminates.

Arc’teryx NorVan.

I can’t stand hoods on a cycling jacket. They don’t work under a helmet. They don’t work over a helmet. They collect water behind you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The discontinued Arcteryx Zeta FL
    Zeta was Paclite Plus? I had an Arc Paclite jacket that I absolutely despised. $150 plastic bag. Typically next to skin feel isn't super important, but this will be worn over a short sleeve t most often. Is Paclite Plus any better?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Arc’teryx NorVan.
    Got sidetracked thinking your older version was an SL. Damn Arcteryx naming system. I'll check it out.

The ShakeDry stuff is interesting - seems almost universally loved. Probably ideal for a bikepack scenario, but not sure how long it'd last for MTB where I'm more likely to hit the deck.

Pack lite plus is definitely a lot better than regular packlite. I only suggest it because you may be able to find a good deal on a used one or new old stock like i did. I think the Bantamweight has some of the best (least bad) next to skin feel I’ve used.

I've always heard great things about the Shakedry stuff. Only downside I've heard is that it can be a touch delicate and they don't recommend wearing backpacks or hip packs with it. But if someone is an XL this Mavic number designed by Arcteryx looks like it could be a deal.
    https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...x-jacket-black

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    The ShakeDry stuff is interesting - seems almost universally loved. Probably ideal for a bikepack scenario, but not sure how long it'd last for MTB where I'm more likely to hit the deck.
    Honestly, I hadn’t thought of that. It’s a very fair point.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Did you ever sell this jacket? I'd be interested.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk