Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Blown Head Gasket Just out of Warranty (Ram 1500)--any recourse?

Spare me with the "you bought a dodge" comments. I'm absolutely feeling like an idiot. I was lured by a 2016 Ram 1500. It's actually been a super nice vehicle...until now. 50k miles, warranty expired march of 2021, and it has a blown head gasket (or cracked head---currently diagnosing). Repair bill is sounding in the $3-6k range depending.

Question is; Does anyone know if there is manufacturer recourse I can take? Local dealer is responding exactly as I expect (nothing I can do, you didn't buy it here). Dealer I bought it from is being douchey and putting their foot down saying there is nothing they can do.

Does a guy like me have any paths to try and get some warranty funds? Or am I suckin' this one up and chalking it off as bad luck?

Someone has to have gone down this path before...

Vibes man...thats kinda bullshit and I would try to call RAM direct...Maybe we have a RAM service manager here somewhere? Can't imagine thats not a defect? Any other recalls on the vehicle?

Good luck.

Sounds like it's going exactly the way Dodge intended. Still cheaper to fix than replace at this point, IMO. Vibes.

oof that HEMI is a piece of shit. it's got a HEMI, right?

How have you not gotten one of those extended warranty phone calls!

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    oof that HEMI is a piece of shit. it's got a HEMI, right?
    actually no. It's the pentastar v6, which supposedly is very reliable. My guess is "reliable" for Chrysler is basically garbage everywhere else.

Couldn't handle the power of the V8?

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Couldn't handle the power of the V8?
    nope. was wanting to pay for a $5k head gasket ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    How have you not gotten one of those extended warranty phone calls!
    Maybe it’s not too late. Get warranty, drive to different dealer, profit. Easy.

Srsly though, get your documentation on all factory recommended service history and call Lee Iococca directly. Also make noise on their Twitter.

Shoulda bought a Subaru !

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

OP have you tried calling a dentist?

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    Spare me with the "you bought a dodge" comments. I'm absolutely feeling like an idiot. I was lured by a 2016 Ram 1500. It's actually been a super nice vehicle...until now. 50k miles, warranty expired march of 2021, and it has a blown head gasket (or cracked head---currently diagnosing). Repair bill is sounding in the $3-6k range depending.

Question is; Does anyone know if there is manufacturer recourse I can take? Local dealer is responding exactly as I expect (nothing I can do, you didn't buy it here). Dealer I bought it from is being douchey and putting their foot down saying there is nothing they can do.

Does a guy like me have any paths to try and get some warranty funds? Or am I suckin' this one up and chalking it off as bad luck?

Someone has to have gone down this path before...
    I think your only real shot at getting Ram to cover any (or part) of the repair is if you had issues you reported to the dealer during warranty, and they weren't able to diagnose or fix it then. Example: if, before your warranty expired, you had brought it to the dealer complaining of losing coolant, or some other symptom that could have been related to the current failure.
    Last edited by El Chupacabra; 08-03-2021 at 01:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Shoulda bought a Subaru !

I heard their head gaskets are bullet proof

Chup is probably right, but I’d still contact Dodge and see if they’ll help out.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

It doesn't matter what dealer you go to--it's Dodge's call if a repair is covered by warranty. If the dealer were to be a nice guy and do it for free they'd be eating the cost themselves. No harm in contacting Dodge.

On the subject of extended warranties my son had one on his Audi that paid for itself many times over. So he's hooked. Now my DIL's Outback with 90K had a wheel bearing go bad. Covered by the extended warranty except towing it to Reno will cost more than the repair--we checked. Quality Auto says not to drive it there; I trust them. Maybe I can convince Subaru to pay her what they would have had to pay the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    What are your symptoms?
    Coolant in oil? Rule out oil coolers and oil filter header/adapter.
    Coolant loss? Rule out leaks.
    Bubbling in coolant jar? Aluminum heads warp and cavitate and wallow valve guides and otherwise self-fukker - Be sure to look at your heads if diagnosis confirms blown gasket. Rebuild if slightest doubt, as it's very rarely "just" a head gasket.
    Overheating? Hmmm Lots of reasons for that...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    On the subject of extended warranties my son had one on his Audi that paid for itself many times over. So he's hooked. Now my DIL's Outback with 90K had a wheel bearing go bad. Covered by the extended warranty except towing it to Reno will cost more than the repair--we checked. Quality Auto says not to drive it there; I trust them. Maybe I can convince Subaru to pay her what they would have had to pay the dealer.
    You're talking about manufacturer extended warranty, because no 3rd party extended warranty ever paid for itself ever.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    You're talking about manufacturer extended warranty, because no 3rd party extended warranty ever paid for itself ever.
    I disagree, but it's likely an outlier. My sister got one on a used dodge Magnum wagon. Was bought used. 3rd party bumper to bumper. No clue on company or cost but has covered every damned thing on that car. Suspension, tranny work, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    I heard their head gaskets are bullet proof
    They are "now"...

Maybe.

Allegedly.

I had a third party warranty save my ass on a car. I probably won't ever buy a VW again though.

I bought a Chevy S-10 Blazer in the early 2000's and had an issue just out of warranty. I worked with the Chevy dealership and Chevrolet and they agreed to help offset the costs. Before that vehicle I had a Dodge Dakota that had an issue just out of warranty and the dealership and Dodge wouldn't help. Like you I didn't have an issue with my Dakota until the warranty expired and from that point on it was a lemon. The last straw was I was in a local bar with friends when the Dodge Service Manager came up to me like we were old friends. Apparently I has visited the service center so often that I was on a first name basis with him. It was the last dodge I've owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I disagree, but it's likely an outlier. My sister got one on a used dodge Magnum wagon. Was bought used. 3rd party bumper to bumper. No clue on company or cost but has covered every damned thing on that car. Suspension, tranny work, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Hahahaha!

Blown Head Gasket Just out of Warranty (Ram 1500)--any recourse?

What are your symptoms?
    Bubbling in coolant jar? Aluminum heads warp and cavitate and wallow valve guides and otherwise self-fukker - Be sure to look at your heads if diagnosis confirms blown gasket. Rebuild if slightest doubt, as it's very rarely "just" a head gasket.
    Overheating? Hmmm Lots of reasons for that...
    Unfortunately bubbling coolant. Overheating not an issue. It’s bubbling…

They did some sort of hydrocarbon test to determine something…I’m not a mechanic and clearly it’s gonna cost me. But 100% the symptom is bubbling coolant. I’m hearing alu head issue and bleeding money.

Last edited by justcuz; 08-03-2021 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I bought a Chevy S-10 Blazer in the early 2000's and had an issue just out of warranty. I worked with the Chevy dealership and Chevrolet and they agreed to help offset the costs. Before that vehicle I had a Dodge Dakota that had an issue just out of warranty and the dealership and Dodge wouldn't help. Like you I didn't have an issue with my Dakota until the warranty expired and from that point on it was a lemon. The last straw was I was in a local bar with friends when the Dodge Service Manager came up to me like we were old friends. Apparently I has visited the service center so often that I was on a first name basis with him. It was the last dodge I've owned.
    Those dakotas were the worst driving trucks ive ever been in.

The example i used was also in ski bum shape.