Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

North Conway Recs?

so heading to NH in a couple weeks for 2 nights in north conway, staying at red jacket mtn resort (water park there was the sell for 13 year old son). doing the mtn washington cog 1 day (never been), and possibly cannon mtn tram the other; figured hiking down. Any other recommendations for quick activities......or better yet good grub spots? a few days later will be beaching in ogunquit - always up for info there too. thanks much!

1. Diana's Baths are always fun (or similar swimming hole, there's a bunch on the rivers nearby) for some good water time - it's a natural water park.
    2. Flour and salt is decent food (or whatever it is, it's the out of place gastropub looking thing by the outlets). Bagels Plus for morning bagels. Flatbread for pizza.
    3. There's plenty of good hikes in the area that there's likely no reason to take the trip to Cannon unless you want the views from the Kanc.
    4. Depending on your preference, there's a bunch of good mountain biking in the area as well.
    5. If you climb at all, a guided ascent up beginners route would be pretty cool. You get a few hundred feet off the deck or so, and it's mostly easy climbing.

We always eat breakfast at Yesterday's in Jackson center. Just make sure to check what days they are open - they do close 1-2 days a week.

MOAT Mtn Brewing and restaurant for decent Bar-B-Q and draft beers - it gets packed and the wait can get long so may not be worth it.

If you go to Cannon, stop at Flume Gorge as well - very neat place right on 93

Fayben's Station in Carroll NH had decent food and is close to the end of the access road for the Cog.

Tuckerman's Inn in Intervale is good for mom and pop fare - nothing special but good value for what you get. They usually have a great beer list too.

More hiking than you can possibly accomplish in a year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Skip NH and go to Maine or VT?

Wildcat in the summer is great, and a much shorter drive than Cannon. Perfect views of Tuckerman and Hunnington ravines, with the usual summer mountain activities and a lift accessed downhill disc golf course. If the kid is into it that's a really fun afternoon.

Second the Moat and Tuckermans, love both. Mae Kelly's is a local favorite as well as the Shannon Door in Jackson.

Some other great summer activities not mentioned yet are swimming on the Swift: https://kancamagushighway.com/lower-...wimming-holes/

or tubing the Saco:
    https://sacorivertubing.com/

Enjoy the trip!

(And fwiw, fuck the Cog. But that's a whole different thread..)

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Skip NH and go to Maine or VT?
    No teenager wants to go to VT for vacation, fucking boring as shit over there. Take them to farmers market in Stowe? Lame. There’s not enough mini-golf/go cart/bumper car places. Plus fireworks are legal over here.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Hike Mt. Washington. No brainer. Why take a cog railroad or lift up a mountain when you have legs. There's good food and beer in the city, why worry about seeking it out in the mountains.
    (Disclaimer--I've only climbed Washington in the winter. For all I know hiking up in the summer sucks.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Why go up to Cannon. Hike Mt. Washington. No brainer.
    You make it sound like it’s something you can just get off the couch and do, it’s not.
    Take a lap
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    You make it sound like it’s something you can just get off the couch and do, it’s not.
    Take a lap
    It's a hike that anyone who's a regular on a ski forum should be able to handle. It's not a suggestion I would make in Travel+Leisure. (Does that magazine still exist? My dentist doesn't have magazines in the office since Covid.) Although judging by the OP's original plans, you're probably right. And it's definitely not a hike to do without the means to stay warm and dry.

Take a lap
    Like I said. Skip Cannon (and fuck the cog). Just go to Wildcat and get the best of both worlds.

No teenager wants to go to VT for vacation
    Are you forgetting the Joseph Smith birth place over in Sharon, VT? Most teens love taking a break from gaming to tour religous historical sites.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Like I said. Skip Cannon (and fuck the cog). Just go to Wildcat and get the best of both worlds.
    Bride bought tickets already....Wildcat hiking and stream swimming could happen though. Thanks all.

Peaches for breakfast

Valley Girl lived in North Conway...cute town.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

2nd on Flume Gorge

Shannon Door in Jackson

In N Conway?
    Horsefeathers, but dont say my name

Breakfast upstairs down the street

Drive the Kancamagus hwy when you go to Cannon. Also go to The Flume after Cannon. There’s a book on waterfalls of the area, there are a ton of cool falls within a mile of the road. This site isn’t bad - https://newenglandwaterfalls.com/top...emountains.php

Frontside Coffee is definitely the best place in town for coffee.
    Have a cocktail at the Mt Washington Hotel.
    Lots of good food that tastes great after a day in the mountains, but few that will compete with a city.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

On Ogunquit....

Just be aware that Ogunquit has been a popular spot with the gay community for decades. It's not quite like Provincetown but it's out front and prevalent everywhere. It's cool and there's no issues but it surprises some people.

Go to Footbridge rather than the main beach if you're driving/parking. The estuary there is way cooler for a 13 year old. Let me know dates and I'll see about free parking 1 block from the parking lot. Be aware of the tides. When it's all the way in, especially with a full moon, there's a lot less beach. Running on the beach at low tide is phenomenal and you can run from the estuary outlet at the main beach to the end of Moody Beach and back (it's a touch over 5 miles).

Got to the Maine Diner up in Wells (right on Rte 1). Yeah, it's gotten more crowded since Guy Fieri outed it but there's a reason it was always crowded before he did. Go on a weekday (not a rainy day) for lunch.

For upscale dining 5-0 Shore Rd is fantastic and The Front Porch also. For breakfast, Greenery Cafe and Congdon's Donuts in Wells. Cornerstone for wood-fired pizza and craft beer.

Best to walk the Marginal Way on a stormy day. The ocean is way cooler and you won't have to fight your way through fat tourists who have to stop and rest every 100 yards. I don't get why Perkins Cove is so popular but it is. The Playhouse brings in serious talent and is always crowded. Try to get tix in advance if you can.

PM me if you want more beta...

Trolley to the beach beats parking there, if you are not in walking distance. Last time I went during high season they had done away with cheap/free evening parking, which sucks because that's a great time to be at the beach.

Thanks again...great info.

Whoa. Horsefeathers. Now that's a place I haven't heard or thought about in I guess 40+ years.

Summer of 1981 / rising senior in high school I worked/lived here

https://thelodgeatpleasantpoint.com/the-lodge/

When it was way more of a "resort" called Farringtons. NC was the town. I remember hitch-hiking to a (volvo?) tennis tournament there seeing terry tulane / france play, which I remember only because I was madly in love with a french girl that summer who was a fan. Had a very nice friend/date in which we went to Horsefeathers then to the first indie-anna jones movie.

Lordy though. From the deep south, that a different language up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    In N Conway?
    Horsefeathers
    "Can't you see..."

Trolley to the beach beats parking there, if you are not in walking distance. Last time I went during high season they had done away with cheap/free evening parking, which sucks because that's a great time to be at the beach.
    I have access to property one block from the beach.

So I am a retaliative newcomer to NH geography having only been going there for 15ish years, but as my wife is from Chocorrua and her family lives all over New Hampshire I have been there a fair amount.
    I never realized that North Conway was part of NH's 18.57 miles of coastline

I believe he was giving me ogunquit info...

Which we just changed actually...had to drive from our hotel to beach in ogunquit (meadowmere resort). We just booked north to York Beach (anchorage inn)...can walk across road to beach, more convenient, looks like a nice place too. I remember York being a cool little town, drove through once.

York is cool too. Smaller version of Hampton Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I have access to property one block from the beach.
    Nice. My dad and his family are buried in the cemetery overlooking the river and the dunes. It doesn't work for me to say I'm visiting family and go to the beach though. However, when my grandmother died, my aunt put one of my cousins and I in charge of digging the hole the night before burying the ashes. So when we were done she and her husband took us for cocktails at Splash on the beach. We didn't get towed.