Boot Question/Problem

Making this thread for a friend.. we live around SLC, so that's where we've both had bootfitting done. We both had good luck with Inkline, but I haven't seen anyone since they closed down and I believe he's been to both SportsDen and SportsLoft since they've closed.

The problem is his feet are two different sizes. His right foot fits very well in a 25.5, but his left foot should be in a 26.5. Even with punching out his left boot, his left foot is still too big to be in a 25.5. He's considering going up to a 26.5 boot, but then his right boot would be slightly too big for his right foot. He has a wide last, but relatively narrow heels, so finding a boot that fits throughout has also been an issue.

Just curious if anyone here has been in a similar situation and what they have done and have had luck with? He has seen 3 bootfitters in the SLC area that have all been recommended on this site, has fully custom footbeds, and is still having troubles.
    Last edited by bearcub69; 08-01-2021 at 03:39 PM.

What are his current boots? Low, med or high volume?

Where is he slipping in the boot that is too big?

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    What are his current boots? Low, med or high volume?

Where is he slipping in the boot that is too big?
    K2 Recons w/ medium volume
    He's not going K2 regardless of fit anymore in the future because he has broken 2 pairs of shells now within 2-3 seasons.. He's not slipping in his current boots because he's currently in a 25.5 which fits his right foot, but is too small for his left. The worry is that sizing up to a 26.5 will result in a well fitting left boot, but a right boot that is slightly too large.

I know it's usually a better idea to have a boot punched rather than put in inserts to take up space, but he has had multiple different boots (K2, Atomic, older "boaty" Roxa, FT) and the punch in the left boot is never enough.

Just purchase a set of 25.5 and another 26.0 or 26.5 depending on if they change the last on the even sizes or the half sizes. Then wear the boot that fits his foot and he ends up with 2 unused boots.

If a narrow heel is an issue, I'd look at Dalbello boots for fit. Has he done a foot scan (with the app on here posted by Greg from the shop: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ot-Scanner-App or Fischer also has an app for their boots that are foam fitting.

Has he tried any of the heat molding liners or boots that do foam injection on the liners?? A good boot fitter should be able to make both brand and boot series suggestions and get a size that works, may require punching and a bit of grinding also.

Buy two sets from backcountry.com, a 25.5 set and a 26.5 set. Return one 25.5 and one 26.5, swapping the size sticker before you do, and keep the other two. Backcountry.com won't notice the mistake in the returns department and will never figure out what happened and fuck them anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    If a narrow heel is an issue, I'd look at Dalbello boots for fit. Has he done a foot scan (with the app on here posted by Greg from the shop: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ot-Scanner-App or Fischer also has an app for their boots that are foam fitting.

Has he tried any of the heat molding liners or boots that do foam injection on the liners?? A good boot fitter should be able to make both brand and boot series suggestions and get a size that works, may require punching and a bit of grinding also.
    He has done the Fischer Scan App, if it would help I could post those numbers here. I'll tell him to keep Dalbello on his radar going forward.. It's just a shame that Dalbellos 130 flex boots are the narrow fits. Also kinda blows that a lot of boots are moving towards GW when we already have a quiver of pivots set up that arent GW compatible. He has had heat moldable liners, but I don't think he's done extra foam injection liners. If anyone here has had success with foam injection filling out space in a boot thats a size too big, maybe going 26.5 w/ foam injection is the move.

I think he's been in good boots recommended by the boot fitters he has seen, but the problem tends to be a left boot that is too small for his left foot, even after grinding/punching. He even had one shop punch too much and ruin a boot trying to make them work. I have no experience with SportsDen or SportsLoft in SLC, but I have seen them recommended on this site so I would assume they are somewhat reputable. Inkline was the shit, but they're closed down. I know Chris from Inklines prodigy works at Level Nine I believe, and while I've good heard things about Mandy, I'm not sure what she could do that Chris couldn't, but who knows.. maybe if she was aware of the specific problem she could address it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Buy two sets from backcountry.com, a 25.5 set and a 26.5 set. Return one 25.5 and one 26.5, swapping the size sticker before you do, and keep the other two. Backcountry.com won't notice the mistake in the returns department and will never figure out what happened and fuck them anyways.
    I know this is kind of a joke but I wonder if it would work lol.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    actually,
    What this is muted...
    Is
    this is theft.

( and whether they "catch it in Returns "
    is Not the point ( / a Bad point. )

( Maybe a troll - But - definitely theft. )

buying two pairs is a very reasonable option-

( he Should be able to turn a 25.5 into a serviceable 26.5 with stretching (and grinding ) )

SLC, you say (?)
    ... has he been to Daleboot ?

( there was a time when Daleboot specialized in situations like this ! !! )

( I would be interested If they still do
    ( split pairs without reservation ) )

note. last I heard ( and it is a while ago ), however, such Service does NOT come cheap(-ly)
    ( 800. a long time ago.
    cheaper to buy two pair ; split 'em - and sell the odd boots on her as spare for Cheap ! )

still. SLC ?
    Good reason to check with Daleboot -

Good luck... ! ! skiJ

I have heard of DaleBoot and told him to hit them up just to see what is good..

FWIW, per the Fischer scan app, his right foot is 265mm length, 105mm last, which should work in 25.5 with a fully custom footbed (which he has) and maybe a punch/grind/stretch if needed.
    His left foot is 272mm, 104mm last. Although I'm not a professional bootfitter, it doesn't seem too surprising that his left foot is still too big for a 25.5, but I did think with punch/grind/stretch in the left boot would be enough in combo with a custom footbed.

Will check out DaleBoot and hit up Mandy @ Level Nine with his foot info and see if either are confident in finding a solution. Only thing with DaleBoot is lack of tech inserts.. yes you could always CAST them, but would be nice to avoid.. although that may be the only option at this point.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Has he tried on size 26 boots? There is a good chance his arch length and or heel instep perimeter are the same on both feet and he only has short toes on the 25 side.
    Have someone who knows those measurements check his feet.

He should try a Atomic boot with the new "Professional Series". They are built around a new injection system with a PU based injectable. It is not the traditional rock hard foam injection. It sounds very promising. The new system will be in shops in the fall.
    Last edited by Quandary; 08-02-2021 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcub69 View Post
    I know this is kind of a joke but I wonder if it would work lol.
    I'm not really angry at BC.com, it's just a funny idea, but I bet $100 it would work.

SkiJ has it right---go to Daleboot, they are right above where Inkline used to be. They have a full line of boots. The higher end boots are not soft bedroom slippers and to a certain extent--can be rebuilt.
    Also, ask them about the tech inserts as they did actually purchase the bd boot molds for the Factors and we're working on it last time I was there

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Has he tried on size 26 boots? There is a good chance his arch length and or heel instep perimeter are the same on both feet and he only has short toes on the 25 side.
    Have someone who knows those measurements check his feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    He should try a Atomic boot with the new "Professional Series". They are built around a new injection system with a PU based injectable. It is not the traditional rock hard foam injection. It sounds very promising. The new system will be in shops in the fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    SkiJ has it right---go to Daleboot, they are right above where Inkline used to be. They have a full line of boots. The higher end boots are not soft bedroom slippers and to a certain extent--can be rebuilt.
    Also, ask them about the tech inserts as they did actually purchase the bd boot molds for the Factors and we're working on it last time I was there
    Thanks, will keep all of this in mind going forward.

@Tuco, you're saying Daleboot carries more than just DaleBoots? If so, I did not know that.

The Professional liners are great, but they won't make the interior of the shell longer and no foam goes into the toe of the liner.

Thanks, will keep all of this in mind going forward.

@Tuco, you're saying Daleboot carries more than just DaleBoots? If so, I did not know that.
    Last time I was there they had a Daleboot branded tech boot based off the Factor molds they bought from Black Diamond----whatever happened w/ this project I am not sure

FWIW, per the Fischer scan app, his right foot is 265mm length, 105mm last, which should work in 25.5 with a fully custom footbed (which he has) and maybe a punch/grind/stretch if needed. His left foot is 272mm, 104mm last.
    Can you post the Fischer images as well as the numbers? I used to put my 271mm foot in a 25.5, but it is a bit of a project. Whether you can make it work depends on the boot (some punch better than others for toe length), as well as the shape of the forefoot (big toe dominant shapes are worse, more rounded shapes distribute the pressure better among all the toes). Also at 104/105mm in the forefoot, a narrower last might reduce the pressure on the big toe. K2's 100mm is pretty roomy . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1267.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	381301

With the right boot and boot fitter, he should be able to get his left foot in a 25.5. I agree with above post that a low volume, 98mm boot might work better for foot hold than his k2 recons 100mm. Definitely consider a shell that is heat molded as a good starting point. His narrow heels make it even more important to be in a low volume shell.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Just purchase a set of 25.5 and another 26.0 or 26.5 depending on if they change the last on the even sizes or the half sizes. Then wear the boot that fits his foot and he ends up with 2 unused boots.

A mag did just this and his feet were the opposite of mine. He got Scarpa Mobes that fit his feet perfectly and so did I. Best boots I've ever owned. Wish I could remember his handle...had to douche my PMs and lost the communication thread when we did that transaction. He gave me a fantastic deal....

I have the exact same problem as your buddy. My right foot is much larger than the left. I have always sized down and then stretched/punched/ground length into the right boot.

Find a boot that fits his small foot well then find a decent boot fitter to work their magic.

Sounds like he is possibly looking for a touring boot. I would be cautious of ultra light boots where the manufacturer might be saving weight with a thinner shell.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1267.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	381301
    That's not terrible, at least the first and second toes are roughly the same length (it's worse when the big toe is longer than the rest, he actually has a slight Morton's toe shape). Your friend's midfoot and ankle are very narrow, look for the snuggest fit in those areas, punch the fifth met area for more width, and look for the best bootfitter you can find to do the toe length punch. In his case, the Atomic Pro liner might actually be a help to stabilize the midfoot and ankle beyond what the stock liner offers, but I don't know who has any yet.

Be aware that moving the toe more than 5-6 millimeters can interfere with toe release (I've had to retract a few when they didn't test out on the Wintersteiger), but it is very binding specific and punch location matters a lot.

If he has a lot of contour through the Achilles, you can sometimes also punch the heel out for a bit more length . . .

re: GripWalk in currrent freeride boots - It is here to stay even if your old bindings aren't compatible, but there are very few GripWalk boots that can't be retrofit with ISO 5355 alpine soles (Dalbello included).

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    That's not terrible, at least the first and second toes are roughly the same length (it's worse when the big toe is longer than the rest, he actually has a slight Morton's toe shape). Your friend's midfoot and ankle are very narrow, look for the snuggest fit in those areas, punch the fifth met area for more width, and look for the best bootfitter you can find to do the toe length punch. In his case, the Atomic Pro liner might actually be a help to stabilize the midfoot and ankle beyond what the stock liner offers, but I don't know who has any yet.

Be aware that moving the toe more than 5-6 millimeters can interfere with toe release (I've had to retract a few when they didn't test out on the Wintersteiger), but it is very binding specific and punch location matters a lot.

If he has a lot of contour through the Achilles, you can sometimes also punch the heel out for a bit more length . . .

re: GripWalk in currrent freeride boots - It is here to stay even if your old bindings aren't compatible, but there are very few GripWalk boots that can't be retrofit with ISO 5355 alpine soles (Dalbello included).
    Thanks for the response. If you know of any bootfitters in the SLC area.. could potentially even travel to Cental Idaho or Souther Montana.. Please let me know. No luck with Sports Den, Sports Loft, Inkline is closed down.. a few mags have recommended DaleBoot, will contact them.

And yeah I figured GW is here to stay.. not a bad thing unless you cant swap soles.. such a large collection of ole pivots.

I'll send all this info my friends way. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The Professional liners are great, but they won't make the interior of the shell longer and no foam goes into the toe of the liner.
    We hope they'll be great. I have my pair on order as my liners are packed out. I may be wrong but I would assume you would get the larger boots and the "under sized" liner would fill the space with injectable.

We hope they'll be great. I have my pair on order as my liners are packed out. I may be wrong but I would assume you would get the larger boots and the "under sized" liner would fill the space with injectable.
    Well, I haven't actually skied in them yet. I think you want to get the liner that comes closest to the actual length of your shell interior, as the foam doesn't go all the way to the toe and won't make the sewn part of the liner longer - it just fills space that the normal heat moldable foam isn't able to fill around the heel and ankle. Same thing with the Head wax system.