Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RIP Dusty Hill

ZZ Top introduced me to the Texas sound...

and for that, I thank you.

RIP Dusty...

Saw them in Boston during college, went with a buddy of mine who played bass. I looked over at my buddy, who was looking at Dusty with his jaw dropped wide open. Such a solid wide sound for a trio. Hell of a show.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

…..

RIP Dusty Hill

I just enjoy the whole thing
    The riffs just rock you in the gut
    The performances are joyful & funny and all the time cool, even when they’re sporting sequined jackets & other over-the-top showy things
    The little coordinated dance steps
    It’s clear they love(d) playing
    & oozed style

The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

First saw ZZ Top in 1974 in Port Chester at the Capital Theater .........

With T Rex.

That was a contrast in style, but they both had it.

RIP Dusty and Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That's from the ZZ documentary I mentioned earlier. Anyone who likes them should really watch it--has some good stuff (like that Jimi story) in it. That story reminds me of the night Jimi opened with Sgt. Pepper's the day after it had been released--with McCartney in the crowd, who was of course blown away (Jimi's minute-long feedback intro was a pretty big departure from the song 'as written'). [2nd part of what Benny posted is from some other thing]
    [quote][//quote]

Music Forum you NY JONG
    Fuck you Padded Room redditors for ruining this place.

ZZ top was a monster
    see That Little Ol’ Band From Texas if you get a chance
    was on Netflix.

Right, that's the name of it. Definitely worth watching. [Hey, MD! You holding it down in your Nutmeg State?]
    [quote][//quote]

This sucks. Really sad. What a legend. RIP, Dusty.
    That doc is great.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post

…..
    I just dialed up that album on Spotify. Pretty damn awesome, and I never heard it before. Lots of good radio stuff, but, radio only wants to play their old stuff.

Over You is such a goof.

Rick Rubin produced. That guy got around.

Wow, this obit on WIKI already:

Joseph Michael "Dusty" Hill (May 19, 1949 – July 27, 2021) was an American musician who was the bassist of the rock band ZZ Top. He also sang lead and backing vocals, and played keyboards. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of ZZ Top in 2004. Hill played with ZZ Top for over 50 years; after his death, he was replaced by the band's longtime guitar tech Elwood Francis, in line with Hill's wishes.

So, the show goes on. Damn. Daltrey and Townsend did the same when Entwistle kicked it doing hookers and blow.

Well, given that that's what Hill and presumably the other two guys wanted, sounds like they're doing it right.

Years ago I wrote music reviews for a newspaper (that can remain nameless), and I wrote an extremely negative review of a ZZ Top album--believe it was called Antenna. As soon as it was printed I kind of regretted taking some of the shots that I did. Anyone familiar with that album? Was it just me being an ass, or did the album kind of suck?
    [quote][//quote]

Say what you will about Zep, but they had the decency to quit when they lost an important member. Does Billy need the money that bad at his age?

What else is he gonna do? Besides there's plenty of precedent for bands continuing when members have died. The Who kept going when Moon died, Skynyrd and Little Feat tour under those names to this day, etc.

I think we're over a line when a guy who's been with you in a trio for fifty years kicks it. I mean, I wouldn't pay good money to see that.

And the Who died with Moon, but, they still fill arenas, so, what do I know.

Loudest show i've ever seen that sounded great was ZZ Top...louder than Slayer

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I think we're over a line when a guy who's been with you in a trio for fifty years kicks it. I mean, I wouldn't pay good money to see that.

And the Who died with Moon, but, they still fill arenas, so, what do I know.
    I'll go back to what I said earlier--if the band wants it, and supposedly he dictated this is how it should go, well...and I mean, the guy's been their tech for forever, so even though fans didn't see him to the band he was already kind of a member anyway. I'm not going to be in line for tix to a show, but it seems like they want to do this and I think you can still count on ZZ Top fans buying tix, so why not?
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    What else is he gonna do? Besides there's plenty of precedent for bands continuing when members have died. The Who kept going when Moon died, Skynyrd and Little Feat tour under those names to this day, etc.
    It only bothers me when the name is bullshit--like I think there was a version of Styx that only had Dennis DeYoung, and I kind of feel like Journey without Steve Perry is basically false advertising. Chicago--I think they're still around, and from a photo I saw it looked like a bunch of guys under 40 and probably one remaining 'original' band member (no idea if it's true) who coulda been 80. I mean, I wouldn't be paying to see any of those bands regardless, but to me that's where they're definitely crossing a line.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Loudest show i've ever seen that sounded great was ZZ Top...louder than Slayer

RIP
    Heh. For bands like Slayer and Metallica I'd go listen to them from the back loading dock of the library. Going inside Memorial Auditorium for a band like that was sofa king crazy. Most bands sounded like shit in that place. Turn it down.

Now that some live music is coming back, it seems that Corona didn't kill the tribute band scene, so I guess 2/3 of the real thing is money.

I was at that first WTT stop they played with Skynyrd. Road trip with some school buds - Waffle House on way home afterwards. Good times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldw...our#Tour_dates

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    ZZ top was a monster
    see That Little Ol’ Band From Texas if you get a chance
    was on Netflix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Right, that's the name of it. Definitely worth watching.
    Still on Netflix, and definitely still worth watching!

RE that Van Halen connection, Billy Gibbons did some minimal (but very tasty) tapping early on. EVH obviously took that shit to whole other technical levels, and I don't know who was the first to tap, but the first time I ever recall hearing it was on Tres Hombres.

Tres Hombres - that whole album is a masterpiece in every sense!
    Last edited by fomofo; 07-30-2021 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post

…..
    Good lord, this is a cover.