Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    When the play by play said McKinnon was on the ice I told myself he was going end to end and score. And he did. Avs let up on the gas way too soon. It's the oldest story in sports. (Except in baseball, where there is no gas pedal.)
    Ha. I actually told my wife right before it happened that if MacKinnon gets the puck he's going to do it all himself and then Bam! They def let off the gas and payed the price. Maybe it acts as a wake up call for the defense.

Also Carolina cant pull out an away game to save their life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

The bipolar home vs away performance continues..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Intense game tonight. Flames were robbed on the goal review. As much as I hate to admit it, the Oilers were the better team for the whole series. Markstrom played like garbage, but didn't get a lot of help from the Flames defense.

Agreed on all that. Not sure how you kick a puck in when you are airborne with your other leg being swept out from under you. And that's ignoring that the fact that the puck was going in anyways even if you didn't "kick" it in.

Oilers definitely played well. Their top players were impressive and punished the Flames for every mistake. Flames didn't have an answer and couldn't contain them. Long bomb in game 4 aside, Smith's ability to play the puck really handcuffed the Flames as well. Flames top line was invisible half of each game. Johnny is exciting to watch but shy's away from puck battles and gets pushed off the puck way to easy to be successful in the playoffs. Markstrom definitely let the team down with some bad goals and inability to handle rebounds.

Avs have fewer players I despise than the Oilers so I guess I'm an Avs fan now. Next round should be awesome.

As a Flames fan, I can't bring myself to ever cheer for the Oilers, so Go Avs! Be interested to see what happens with Johnny in free agency. I like him, but need him to step up in series like this one and not disappear. I don't love McDavid and hate Kane, but they were exactly who the Oilers needed them to be the entire series.

I'm hoping for a repeat of the 2006 Edmonton vs Carolina finals... with the same outcome. Rangers are my 2nd choice.. Aves 3rd. Fuck Tampa, USA over Canada., but nothing personal there..

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Agreed on all that. Not sure how you kick a puck in when you are airborne with your other leg being swept out from under you. And that's ignoring that the fact that the puck was going in anyways even if you didn't "kick" it in.
    If I'm not mistaken, it's the same refs who called back that Tavares goal against the Lightning for a soft-as-shit-in-October-never-mind-May call.

Absolute garbage call - I don't even know how they came to the conclusion that the puck was kicked in - AND IT WAS GOING IN NO MATTER WHAT. That's the worst part. It's like 2 bullshit calls all wrapped up in to one, that effectively ends the season for a team. Pathetic.

We should not really notice the referees in these games, and yet they are there right in the headlines and highlights. I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I'm hoping for a repeat of the 2006 Edmonton vs Carolina finals... with the same outcome. Rangers are my 2nd choice.. Aves 3rd. Fuck Tampa, USA over Canada., but nothing personal there..
    After 29 years of American teams winning, including a few sunbelt teams that nobody really cares about, I’d be down for a change! If I followed hockey more closely, I could see myself getting sucked into the rivalries and the “anybody but Leafs”, etc mindset but it is exciting to see a Canadian team go deep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crank View Post
    the “anybody but Leafs”, etc mindset
    I really don't get why we're hated so much. Haven't won in forever, in fact known as the perennial shit team, and yet the city and much of Canada would be rockin' if they made a run to the Finals. Like, when the Rangers finally won, I was happy for them. St. Louis - good for them! The Cubs after a million years? Great! Boston? I mean, fuck Boston but whatever, their fans deserve a break!

The Leafs are often compared to the Yankees since both teams are the richest in the league, but there's one glaring difference - the Yankees win. A lot. The Leafs? Ha!!

"Oh Leafs fans ALWAYS think they're gonna win the cup" - We may make jokes about this to fit the stereotype, but I can assure you we do not ever expect this to happen. Nobody is more familiar with a team snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and self sabotage than us. Nobody. Something bad always happens. ALWAYS.

Haters are just lame I guess is all I'm sayin'. So fuck 'em.

Leafs finally winning? One day maybe, when we least expect of course....

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    came to the conclusion that the puck was kicked in - AND IT WAS GOING IN NO MATTER WHAT. That's the worst part. It's like 2 bullshit calls all wrapped up in to one, that effectively ends the season for a team. Pathetic.

We should not really notice the referees in these games, and yet they are there right in the headlines and highlights. I hate it.
    My son was watching that game. He told me all about it this morning.. "They got screwed" is the summary version of what he said about that..

I really don't get why we're hated so much. Haven't won in forever, in fact known as the perennial shit team, and yet the city and much of Canada would be rockin' if they made a run to the Finals. Like, when the Rangers finally won, I was happy for them. St. Louis - good for them! The Cubs after a million years? Great! Boston? I mean, fuck Boston but whatever, their fans deserve a break!

The Leafs are often compared to the Yankees since both teams are the richest in the league, but there's one glaring difference - the Yankees win. A lot. The Leafs? Ha!!

"Oh Leafs fans ALWAYS think they're gonna win the cup" - We may make jokes about this to fit the stereotype, but I can assure you we do not ever expect this to happen. Nobody is more familiar with a team snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and self sabotage than us. Nobody. Something bad always happens. ALWAYS.

I don't think much of Canada would be 'rocking' if the Leafs made a run. The issue the rest of us take with the Leafs are multi-faceted:

- media focuses most attention on them. No one wants to listen to pontification about a team that isn't playing while the playoffs are happening.
    - media is constantly trying to justify why they are going to make a run this season, next season, some season... no one cares.
    - fans and media try to make ridiculous comparisons between McJesus and Matthews for best player. Is Matthews good? Yeah. Best player in the league? No. By a country mile, no.
    - did i mention the media?

Regarding last nights game - meh. Flames were outplayed most of the series. Mostly by McJesus. Was it a bad call? Yeah. Would the Flames have won if it had counted? I wouldn't bet on it. Both teams decided that playing terrible defense in front of sub-standard goaltending was the way to go in this series and the team with the better offensive talent won. As an Oilers fan, I expect St Louis or Avs to crush them, though I will hope for a good outcome.

How the NHL and NFL haven't adopted a system similar to VAR in soccer where an outside referee is making most decisions is beyond me. Oh, lets try to make a call using these really small tablets. We don't want to have someone with multiple, large, screens making more informed decisions.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Yeah fuck we got screwed. Fucking NHL... Anyway, oilers were the better team but, you count that goal and Flames get some momentum back. You never know. Gotta say the Oilers acquisition of Kane was good work, and fucking Drieseitl was insanely good, never mind mcjesus. Just shitty that one of the most entertaining series I've watched in a coons age is decided by a fucking ridiculous call by an officiating squad who don't know their own fucking rules...

And, breaking all of my own silly fan rules - I'm going to cheer for the greasies, uh I mean oilers.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

I've seen too many of these kicking reviews. Either get rid of the rule--if soccer players can kick it in why can't hockey players, seems like discrimination--or clarify the rule--for example a kicking motion requires that the kicking foot is completely off the ice at some point in the kicking motion. Preferably get rid of the rule. Given the rule, the most convincing view is the one from behind Coleman from the right. But it's certainly not cut and dried.

I've always thought that reviews in any sport should be require that the decision be obvious enough to reverse in 30 seconds of review. Cue up all the available shots, let a tech show them quickly, if the call hasn't been reversed by then it automatically stands.

Getting rid of the kicking rule will never happen if only because kicking at a puck in the crease with sharp skates on seems like a really bad idea for the goalie and anyone else piled up in there.

Agree with singlecross. Directed goals with skate’s isn’t happening.

They do need to get rid of the automatic delay of game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass in your own end. 99% of those calls are absolutely unintentional. It’s not the old days where goalies drew whistles when their teams were tired. Worst case, leave it up to the referee’s discretion.

And the Blues find themselves up 1-0 after getting pretty dominated in the first. F the Blues. Go Av’s.

Man the Avs defense better wake up. Sloppy passes, giveaways, and just giving up on pucks at the end of the period. MacKinnon, again, looks like the only guy who wants it.

There was a time when the Leafs were majority owned by the Ont Teachers Pension Fund. The team was designed to generate revenue, and somehow it was decided that playoff was good, but winning a cup was not so good for business - fan expectations and buying tickets and fan memorabilia shit and all of that over the long term. This from a guy on the board. But about 20yo talk, no idea what or who controls their purse strings and playoff strategy now. So ya, winning was not the goal, maximizing revenue was. Which is so purely Torontarian

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Yeah fuck we got screwed. Fucking NHL... Anyway, oilers were the better team but, you count that goal and Flames get some momentum back. You never know. Gotta say the Oilers acquisition of Kane was good work, and fucking Drieseitl was insanely good, never mind mcjesus. Just shitty that one of the most entertaining series I've watched in a coons age is decided by a fucking ridiculous call by an officiating squad who don't know their own fucking rules...

And, breaking all of my own silly fan rules - I'm going to cheer for the greasies, uh I mean oilers.
    TL;DR

The wind in Edmonton blows cause …..

Calgary sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    TL;DR
    Edmonton blows
    Fixed it for you..

Avs to the WCF!!!

Macjesus vs Mcjesus. Could be an all time series.

That Zibanejad has some great flowing locks.

Rangers need a road win Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Rangers need a road win Monday.
    I'm too lazy to look but has any team made it through 2 series without winning an away game?

Looking forward to Avs/Oilers.

And again, Fuck Tampa Bay...

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    My son was watching that game. He told me all about it this morning.. "They got screwed" is the summary version of what he said about that..
    This article seemed timely for this conversation. Leafs out almost 2 rounds ago? Time to discuss ad nauseum why they're going to make a run soon! Front page article on SN today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	317.3 KB 
ID:	417662
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Heck of a start for the Rangers. 2-0 10 minutes in.