Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Oye! Well it was a good run until Anderson went down. ain't gonna beat Tampa with awful power play and more awful kill.

Thanks for decent run Canes. Jumping ship to Rangers now...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

So you all hate the Leafs because the media keeps putting out Leafs garbage stories to generate clicks.

Really you hate the media. And here's something that'll blow your mind: we (Leafs lovers) hate the constant media coverage too.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    There was a time when the Leafs were majority owned by the Ont Teachers Pension Fund. The team was designed to generate revenue, and somehow it was decided that playoff was good, but winning a cup was not so good for business - fan expectations and buying tickets and fan memorabilia shit and all of that over the long term. This from a guy on the board. But about 20yo talk, no idea what or who controls their purse strings and playoff strategy now. So ya, winning was not the goal, maximizing revenue was. Which is so purely Torontarian
    This is a pretty dumb take. Didn't think this still needed to be debunked. During that time of OTP ownership, the Leafs were spending to the max salary cap, they were burying shitty contracts in the minors (so they could spend more), they built a new practice facility to have the best in the league, they moved the farm team from out east to Toronto. They also spent the most on scouting, and (I think) coaching staff. If I'm trying to maximize revenue, why do any of these things?

If making the playoffs is good for revenue, then wouldn't MORE playoff games be even better for revenue? Especially when you're already spending as much as you can on players and staff and facilities. And it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to understand just how much merch would zoom off the shelves if they ever won the damn thing.

They certainly cared about winning, they were just shit at doing it. The teacher's pension ownership was hands-off, instead letting Larry Tanenbaum make the hockey decisions from an ownership perspective. Once Bell and Rogers bought MLSE, they made the right moves to hire Tim Liewicke who then revamped all of the franchises which have since seen much greater success (Raptors, TFC, Leafs, Argos but who cares about CFL).

The only time the Leafs ever didn't give a fuck about actually doing what it takes to win is the Ballard years and the Stavro management debacle of the early-mid 90's.

Av’s putting on a clinic so far. Edmonton lucky to get out of the 1st only down 2-1

2-2. Now 3-2 Av’s….maybe an offsides.

7-6 games here we come.

At the in-laws so can’t watch too closely. What was the reasoning for that being onside?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    At the in-laws so can’t watch too closely. What was the reasoning for that being onside?
    Delayed offside. Puck was over but didn't matter until it was touched.

Avs owned that period but only up by one.

Speed looks about 22x faster than what the Canes/Rangers showed last night.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

NHL 2021-2022 Season

Makar didn’t have the puck on his stick when he came in. The puck was offside but Makar was still onside by the time the guy tagged up. When he touched it, they were checked up at that time so no offsides. If it was on is stick the entire time, offsides, no goal, or if Makar was offside before the guy tagged up.

Serious not just hockey related question. Is it fair to say that the drought of cup championships in Canada can be attributed to the exodus of the best Canada born players to take up permanent residence in the US because of the tax differences?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Not much defense here so far

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    2-2. Now 3-2 Av’s….maybe an offsides.

7-6 games here we come.
    I will take the over

Other Canadian fans hate media coverage of leafs during playoffs after they lose, then leafs fan goes off on rant about leafs during playoffs after they lose...

Anyways this game is fantastic if you love offense. Playoffs fucking rule.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

damn, that was a fun game

Insane game. Go avs

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Serious not just hockey related question. Is it fair to say that the drought of cup championships in Canada can be attributed to the exodus of the best Canada born players to take up permanent residence in the US because of the tax differences?
    I don’t think permanent residency matters when it comes to what team you can play on. Maybe some players choose to play for an American team because of the tax rates while they’re on that team but it could also be that some would prefer not to live under the microscope of media and fans, and enjoy warm temps and golfing. Maybe you’re on to something though. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around all that stuff because I prefer single digit numbers when doing math.

I’m guessing it’s also just bad luck. Canadian teams have been in the finals six times during the drought but have lost each of those six times. That’s every team this side of the border except for the Leafs (and Winnipeg but they weren’t around for that whole time)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crank View Post
    some would prefer not to live under the microscope of media and fans, and enjoy warm temps and golfing.)
    This. Lifestyle, relative anonymity, and living somewhere warm goes a long way. Players are celebrities in Canada. Whereas I get the feeling that in Florida, or California, they’re just another guy with muscles. Walk down the street, and no one recognizes you. With respect to US fans, for many American cities, Hockey isn’t the primary sport. Whereas in Canada, it’s THE sport. Imagine McDavid trying to go out for a beer in Edmonton vs. LA.

NHL 2021-2022 Season

Pro athletes pay taxes in every state/Provence they play games in

Yes, 1/2 of those are where you’re home team is, but still it’s not like you’re hiding all your income in some tax haven

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    Makar didn’t have the puck on his stick when he came in. The puck was offside but Makar was still onside by the time the guy tagged up. When he touched it, they were checked up at that time so no offsides. If it was on is stick the entire time, offsides, no goal, or if Makar was offside before the guy tagged up.
    This was a new one for me. Same for the TV commentators, it seems.

Just proves how silly the video review of offsides is. IMO If a play is so close that video review is needed then there is no way it being slightly offside had a material affect on the play. Just let the goal count. NHL wants more goals, don't they?

Tonight's case was a new level of stupid. Nichuskin was just as offside whether Makar's stick was touching the puck or not, as it crossed the line. Neither that nor Nichuskin being slightly offside had any affect on how the play ended. So it was a goal, until it wasn't a goal, but due to another technicality it was a goal.

Has there been an exodus? Don't think so. Maybe there are a few players that want to play in the US for tax reasons and sign there as free agents, but the salary cap should help keep that from getting out of hand. Teams keep control of players they drafted for quite a few years. Don't see much of a trend in the list below.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/...a18rawb5mrsqh7

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Other Canadian fans hate media coverage of leafs during playoffs after they lose, then leafs fan goes off on rant about leafs during playoffs after they lose...

Anyways this game is fantastic if you love offense. Playoffs fucking rule.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Not quite. Someone mentioned wanting to see the Leafs lose. I asked why. A discussion sort of evolved, on a..... discussion forum. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway go Avs - Nazem Kadri, a TORONTO boy (well, London - close enough), and one of the most dedicated MAPLE LEAFS players in recent memory. Didn't like to see him traded, but it was time to move on I suppose. Glad to see he is finding success and hope he gets that ring. We don't care he grew up a Habs fan - we know where is heart really is.

GO NAZEM!!

...haters can eat a bag of dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Has there been an exodus? Don't think so. Maybe there are a few players that want to play in the US for tax reasons and sign there as free agents, but the salary cap should help keep that from getting out of hand. Teams keep control of players they drafted for quite a few years. Don't see much of a trend in the list below.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/...a18rawb5mrsqh7
    The most likely reason is that 31 teams fail to win a Stanley Cup every year, and there are only 7 of them in Canada.

There could be a bunch of reasons why a player wouldn't want to play on a Canadian team, but most of them also have a flip-side. I'd like to know how the tax thing actually works - I read somewhere that they're paid per-game, and that pay is taxed based on where the game actually takes place. How big of a factor does that really work out to for someone making ~$2M a season if they are based out of Canada vs. somewhere like Florida? I don't know.

It would be these lower-salary impact players that teams would likely be able to sell the tax advantage to, imo. There's only so much room in the cap for the big stars.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    This was a new one for me. Same for the TV commentators, it seems.

Just proves how silly the video review of offsides is. IMO If a play is so close that video review is needed then there is no way it being slightly offside had a material affect on the play. Just let the goal count. NHL wants more goals, don't they?

Tonight's case was a new level of stupid. Nichuskin was just as offside whether Makar's stick was touching the puck or not, as it crossed the line. Neither that nor Nichuskin being slightly offside had any affect on how the play ended. So it was a goal, until it wasn't a goal, but due to another technicality it was a goal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6fDnyC...ature=youtu.be

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7uSA0T...ature=youtu.be

https://streamable.com/zak4s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePov14LxKVY

it’s been ruled a good goal multiple times over the past few years; one of which was against the Avalanche… it’s a weird rule but at least they’ve been consistent with it..

Defense? We don't need no stinking defense! Now tonight, one would expect a 1-0 in overtime score with these two goalies. With any of these 4 remaining teams, the Cup finals seem to be setting up as a great test of the adage that defense wins championships.

As to the Canadian exodus - why does the NHL have teams in Florida and Arizona? Because of all the northerners (Minnesotans, Canadians, New Yorker's, etc) that are retired or are snowbirds there and still want to see hockey.

Can confirm, went to a Bruins vs Panthers game in Miami and there were more Boston fans than Panthers, that's for sure.

That off sides review makes sense to me. If puck isn't on his stick, nichusken still has time to tag up before Makar goes completely in, which appears to be what happened. Looking at the still from the last video clip posted, same deal, guy tags up, other guy is not completely in, puck not on stick, now onsides.
    sigless.

If it were up to me the only reviewable plays would be whether a goal was scored -- did it cross the line, goaltender interference (maybe), puck struck above the crossbar, was it kicked in (with a revised rule to better define kicking motion). Not offsides, puck out of play.

My kid in LV claims the people at GK games are mostly tourists. Especially since the rink is on the strip. I don't know if this is true. I do know that at the one game I went to (as a tourist) the crowd was very quiet in a winning game--near end of season, GK playing for last playoff spot.

^^^ agreed on the review bit.
    sigless.