Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The rotation feature doesn't even do that. It provides an "outlet" for lateral elasticity, but in decades of Dynafit use I never pre-released in the lateral plane, only upward at the heel. If you like 13mm of ramp, there's nothing wrong with using your Dynafits again; after about a day on the MTN @ 8.5mm, I decided I skied better there.
    Yeah I don't like 13mm of ramp either so I have 5mm shims under the toes of my dynafits. So I'm right near that 8.5mm ramp right now.

Did you ever try the 2.0 or rotation... or the beast?

I think a lot of those heel pre release issues were felxing deep into the ski and there being no elasticity in the heel... which the rotation now has.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Did you ever try the 2.0 or rotation... or the beast?
    No Beasts in my past. Skied the 2.0 a bit, then nothing but Speed Radicals for a couple years, then on to the MTN/Backland. The only Dynafit I find interesting now is the Speed Superlight 150. No pre-releases with the MTN, but I use the Expert spring.

No Beasts in my past. Skied the 2.0 a bit, then nothing but Speed Radicals for a couple years, then on to the MTN/Backland. The only Dynafit I find interesting now is the Speed Superlight 150. No pre-releases with the MTN, but I use the Expert spring.
    Yeah I don't find the rotation super interesting either but I already own it. And I honestly don't have any problems with it other than the weight.

This discussion is basically because if I want to change to something else eventually I should probably do it now before I have hole conflicts in the skis.

Plus I have a buying problem and it's fun to buy new ski gear, apparently.

Woe is me.

If you’re really looking to drop weight I have a pair of Dynafit speed 12 with very light use, I’m looking to unload. I was going to build a light weight pow set up with them, but things changed. I ended up scoring a set of 4frnt hoji skis that are quiver killed for Dynafit radicals at my bsl. If you’re interested in a straight up trade let me know.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    If you’re really looking to drop weight I have a pair of Dynafit speed 12 with very light use, I’m looking to unload. I was going to build a light weight pow set up with them, but things changed. I ended up scoring a set of 4frnt hoji skis that are quiver killed for Dynafit radicals at my bsl. If you’re interested in a straight up trade let me know.

I don't know a lot about that binding but will research and get back to you.

But I also think the radical 2.0 has a different mount pattern than the original radical and we should confirm that before making any deals.

Didn’t realize that you have the radical 2.0 which is a different mount pattern. I should probably post in gear swap to see if anyone else would be interested in such a trade.

The rotation feature doesn't even do that. It provides an "outlet" for lateral elasticity, but in decades of Dynafit use I never pre-released in the lateral plane, only upward at the heel.
    Yeah, that was what I was trying to convey, but my specifics weren't that eh.. specific. Thanks for clearing it up

I am not a fan of Dynafit, so I am biased against em to begin with. I am sure that they ski and tour well, but feel that other brands serve this part of the market better.

And yes, in case you have not seen it, this segment of bindings have been debated at length in the 3oogr binding thread. There is so just much good info in these forums

Since we're kinda bashing on dynafit... I use them and (knock-on-wood) they've generally worked fine. But aspects of dyna are maddening. 1, all of their bindings are some permutation of like 3-4 words and names aren't even consistent between their website and retailers. 2, mount patterns are all over the place, even between bindings that (based on the naming) you may think are the same. 3, how do you not have info like riser heights in the prod descriptions on the website? I mean a binding only has a few true numerical facts associated with it! 4, on their skis, how do you not have a profile pic to show the rocker/camber profile? (Although this is true for other manuf's as well)
    I'll stop there, rant over

Weight is the primary concern.

I'll look into that but i often use the high risers on the skin tracks around here.

If you like high risers and are looking at ATK be sure to check the heights on the various models, a lot of them aren't particularly high. I think risers and price are the most common complaints there.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

i have skied my zeds three years now. if i could do it again i might have preferred some crazy light u spring binding because i don’t ski the g3’s with brakes anyway. but, as the cheapest and lightest semi full featured binding they have done ok. they’re holding up fine and g3 upgraded my heels no problem after the breakage issues (which i had never suffered). all in all it was a good purchase at the cheapest tech price point but some of the other stories people share about g3 still rattle my confidence.

i have no idea what i’d replace them with but since they don’t want to die it’s not really a problem worth thinking about. definitely not the rotations though given their weight iirc. the zed risers and step in are also both better than various dynafits i’ve had as well.

i guess for me it would mostly comes down to whether you’d want to give a local shop coin (always nice if they’re competitive) vs some faceless outfit in euroland.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I’ve had lots of days on Zeds, and ski with partners on various Dynafit, ATKs, Marker and Salomons. For touring use in soft snow, (but for ramp angle) I don’t know anyone who can discern the difference in how any of them feel while skiing. Likewise regarding durability, unless you’re subjecting them to abuse outside normal parameters, they’re all mature products that work for a long time for most users (I have had minor issues with the brakes on the Zeds). For me, I appreciate the relatively light weight of the Zeds, but it’s the ease of use that keeps me on them. Ease of step in, adjusting risers, changing modes, activating the brakes, and lack of icing. These are the things I notice multiple times a day, day after day, and where the Zeds shine. ATKs feel and are anecdotally more durable, but are noticeably less refined in ease of operation, and more expensive. The Rotation seems unnecessarily complex, heavy, and less functional (more difficult to step in and more prone to icing) than the Zeds.

^^^ good feedback... thanks.

Piggybacking off of the above posters I wouldn't hesitate to go with the zeds. I unintentionally ended up with zeds on two different sets of skis and have been pleasantly surprised with how well they perform. Both sets are first gens with the updated spring, spacer, and no brakes. I've skiid them hard in a variety of different environments and they simply just work.
    Last edited by beowulf122; 07-30-2021 at 10:00 AM.

^^^ thanks.

You guys running zeds with brakes or without?

I'm leaning without and the new fix is supposed to not require their spacer... but I'm thinking of using it anyway if i go with this binding.

^^^ thanks.

You guys running zeds with brakes or without?

I'm leaning without and the new fix is supposed to not require their spacer... but I'm thinking of using it anyway if i go with this binding.

I’m using the brakes, as they seem a little safer, and simplify transitions and carrying. They’re easy to remove, and I thought I would do so on big days where weight’s a concern, but in practice I don’t bother. I did break a small non-critical plastic part (the housing which holds the pin under the stomp pad) and replaced them on warranty, but can’t tell if it’s a design flaw or a one time thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I’m using the brakes, as they seem a little safer, and simplify transitions and carrying. They’re easy to remove, and I thought I would do so on big days where weight’s a concern, but in practice I don’t bother. I did break a small non-critical plastic part (the housing which holds the pin under the stomp pad) and replaced them on warranty, but can’t tell if it’s a design flaw or a one time thing.
    Thanks for the input.

I'm thinking no brakes and stomp pad for 2 reasons...
    1. I'm struggling to think of a time in the backcountry where the brakes felt like they were doing anything to keep my ski in place while I click in (but I don't tour a tonne so maybe that's why).
    2. I feel like a hard surface instead of a spring loaded platform might feel a bit more solid. But that's just conjecture.

I guess the potential 3rd reason is that they don't come with brakes anymore... I'd need to add that on.

Thanks for the input.

I'm thinking no brakes and stomp pad for 2 reasons...
    1. I'm struggling to think of a time in the backcountry where the brakes felt like they were doing anything to keep my ski in place while I click in (but I don't tour a tonne so maybe that's why).
    2. I feel like a hard surface instead of a spring loaded platform might feel a bit more solid. But that's just conjecture.

I guess the potential 3rd reason is that they don't come with brakes anymore... I'd need to add that on.

Yeah, no brakes on any of my touring setups (except for 1 pair of Shifts) for years now. If there is any soft snow, I stick the tail of the ski in while I step in, or put ski #1 uphill from both feet, then cross my downhill foot over to step in to it, then use that ski to hold the other one while I step into ski #2. Or just don't take them off to transition if possible.

I think the Zeds with stronger spring are fine, but you could go lighter without sacrificing performance IMO.

I think the Zeds with stronger spring are fine, but you could go lighter without sacrificing performance IMO.
    Heel elasticity is a deal breaker for me, which removes a.few candidates, and I like the price point and delta on the zed.

No high climbing riser is also a deal breaker for me... so the alpinist is no longer on the list.

The Zed and the Salomon MTN are tops on my list right now. ATK would be awesome but I won't spend that much for how little I tour.

At this point I should probably explain that I don't consider the rotation in the same category as the zed or any other ~300g binding... I was just trying to justify buying new bindings I don't need.