Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    I'm looking at the Antero II (I like the hood design.)
    Mostly the jacket is for inbounds. (Like 99.99%. I'm getting way too lazy to hike much for turns.)

I don't usually use a beacon inbounds, and if I do, it's usually stashed in my pack - so I'm not terribly worried about interference. (Yeah, I know that's problematic for a variety of reasons - but I'll live with it.)

The phone and radio I like to have easy access to, checking email/texts on a "I'm skipping work today" days and adjust volume/channel on the radio.
    The radio is less important for routine access. And, I always use a hand-mic. (I don't care for the earphone, and I usually resort ski with BT headphones so that's a conflict too.)

So, I see a few options:

Radio in internal pocket and phone in external chest pocket.
    I could run the coiled hand-mic out the neck, though that's kind of janky. Depending on how low the internal pocket is, out the hem and up. (Also janky.) And most of my hand-mic cords are pretty short. They work great from out the chest pocket and clipped to the sternum strap on my pack. I'm not at all sure how they'll work elsewhere. I'll have to do some tinkering/testing to see.

Phone in an internal pocket, radio in external chest pocket: Must unzip to get to the phone. Very not ideal.

If I move the phone to a pants pocket, it's way more difficult to get out on the lift up. (Than the ext. chest pocket.)

And both phone and radio in the same chest pocket probably greatly increases damage to the phone when I crash and burn hard. (Which isn't rare. Often enough.) I think the pants pocket is also more likely to take impact on a crash (IME), so I'm not thrilled with a phone in there, really.

So, yeah, I just really like the double chest pockets. I can probably adapt, but I don't think it's as handy. (But there are a lot of shells with only one, so not everyone thinks like me, obviously.)

Oh, one other question - sleeve pocket on left side? I assume no.
    That's one thing I thought was a gimmick, but which I've really liked. RFID pass, lip balm and goggle wipe are HANDY there. (Even a zippered pocket one could aquaseal on there, XXXer style, would work, I suppose.)
    hmmm ok, more details to consider

no arm pocket , have had pass on retractable cord attached to beltloop or sometimes to the end of one of my external waist pockets with the pass in the pocket and zipped up....was always read properly without any weird body manipulation.

so, maybe phone in outside chest pocket, radio down to the external waist pocket with antenna sticking out of zipper, unless you have a nub antenna..then all in and you can run the mic cord up to the chest pack strap. understand about the fallz. u not supposed to be doing that ! jk
    it happens, best to have the accessories properly stowed. if you put radio in inside open waist pocket, its not that difficult to unzip main front zipper from bottom which should be done on a chairlift anyway to vent and not bunch up...should be able to reach in there pretty easilty to grab but then yep you would have a long mic cord run up inside jacket over collar and down to pack chest strap....so i'd just keep that at the waist level and only span up from there...measure that...just have to reconfigure a few things but the collar hood design you will pick up with our A2/2+ is going to more than make up for all that other stuff...imagine what a front of hood truck valece plastic piece and how it move bugs over the windshield...thats what our collar will do with wind and snow for your face....you can hide behind it on storm days....the hood will span the helmet without having to mess with zippers ....which on storm days on many jackets get pretty iced up. so there are some give and takes
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Will half a D.O.G. breakfast burrito fit in the pocket?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Will half a D.O.G. breakfast burrito fit in the pocket?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    holds 4
    www.freeridesystems.com

Thanks for the garage sale hookup. Grabbed a fleece jacket for the wife
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

you're welcome! thanks for your support of our made in colorado tech gear
    www.freeridesystems.com

First off MiCol is the man, 3 days to the right coast is crazy fast. The garage sale was tits as is the casual get-around jacket. Exactly what I was looking for. Wife and dtr love their polartec shirts too.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

^thanks, glad u guys like the gear, i can’t take credit on shipping speed tho, that’s fulfillment picking and shipping and usps!
    www.freeridesystems.com

Dammit, missed it, g sale still on?

^on
    www.freeridesystems.com

In case you all needed another reason to support Micol and FRS...

I purchased an A2+ in 2015? It is was my primary backcountry shell which means 40+ days/season touring and 5-10 snowmobiling. It was color faded in the high wear areas (shoulders) and I had the cuff velcro replaced once but overall it was in excellent shape, like 8/10 after hundreds of days.

When my gear burned in a wildfire ~1.5 months ago I reached out to FRS to ask if they had any remaining stock. They immediately offered to replace my shell - just asked for a shipping address and told me to pick a size/model. I didn't mention TGR or anything like that, they just wanted to help one of their customers. In short it takes fire to kill one of these jackets, and FRS has your back. Thanks so much guys, it means a lot right now.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post

I purchased an A2+ in 2015? It is was my primary backcountry shell which means 40+ days/season touring and 5-10 snowmobiling. It was color faded in the high wear areas (shoulders) and I had the cuff velcro replaced once but overall it was in excellent shape, like 8/10 after hundreds of days.

When my gear burned in a wildfire ~1.5 months ago I reached out to FRS to ask if they had any remaining stock. They immediately offered to replace my shell - just asked for a shipping address and told me to pick a size/model. I didn't mention TGR or anything like that, they just wanted to help one of their customers. In short it takes fire to kill one of these jackets, and FRS has your back. Thanks so much guys, it means a lot right now.
    Yep. He's a very special man. And I am proud to hold him as a friend. Karma is the antibitch.

I do want to edit this post that I am completely biased because I own a 1st generation seat belt webbing belt that he gave me a couple decades ago. Honestly, my dead bird shit keeps warrantying itself since I hiked the AT in 96, and I haven't paid a dime since then for a shell or I would go to Michael, but I give him my old ones for charity and the dead bird people keep sending me new ones to absolutely shred to shit every 5 years. I also do dearly love him as a friend. I cannot stand higher for a person on my scale of humility and humanity than Michael. That's enough for me. It is actually an honor, a privilege, and a really fun ride to know and love and watch what happens to a truly great person. Do you guys know that FRS only exists to help mags out? He does this just for us. No one else. His business accounts are crushing him. But he just makes these just for us. For serious. It's fucking stupid. He employs and trains old women in their homes with sewing machines to teach them how to sew new fabrics to spec. He inspects this. He teaches everyone about how to do correct seam taping. Everyone. It's fucking unreal. Someone needs to write a radio episode of his life and how many people he has helped, including us users. It's absolutely fucking unreal. A mag, through and through. Beyond. And he fucking cares. And he lives out of a truck chasing pow before all the vanlifers.

I can not tell you over the years how many times he's come to my home and sit across the table with me and yammered on really fast. And I'm like, "whohhh". And he just motors, but it always boils down to one thing, no matter what it is.

He always says, "How can I do it better?".

That speaks a lot of a man.

I should probably wear some of his shit after this point. But I wouldn't have anything to donate.
    Last edited by MakersTeleMark; 02-15-2022 at 01:00 AM.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post

He did something equally giving and awesome for me. I was shocked. I insisted on shipping him a big box of fish. He’s got my business forever. The gear is top notch and the people are the absolute best.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

thanks for the heartfelt accolades...it is our whole team and not just me that exemplifies and deserves the praise and good karma...ftr we are trying to migrate production from homes and back yard tents to a rumbling circus train criss crossing America....so there's that for an update....
    www.freeridesystems.com

chilling in one of my FRS hoodies right now, this thing is awesome. i have... two zip hoodies and two pullovers, and they're my favorite layers. micol and crew put out a great product.

I have the same as you…2grey zips, 2 purple pullovers. My faves

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

FS: 12TH ANNUAL 21-22 FREERIDE SYSTEMS THREADS FOR SHREDS JACKET TRADE in UP to $200

Micol and FRS crew, I applaud your generosity and support of the community, and hope you’ll take this suggestion as an honest suggestion to help improve the product going forward.

I took advantage of the program this fall, trading in a well used Beta AR for a very fair credit. I am impressed with the quality and fit of the jacket I bought https://www.freeridesystems.com/prod...er-jacket-lime. I’ll continue to use it until a better neoshell option comes along. It’s the best shell material in existence for ski touring. The hood design is great. The collar is roomy enough and the double zipper is another clutch feature the big brands frequently overlook.

My honest feedback is that the pockets (maybe just the openings) are simply too small and the main pockets are too low. First, it’s a real struggle to stow a skin in each of the large pockets, and neither my phone nor a small camera will fit in the chest or inside pockets. Second, the main pockets interfere with the waist strap on my pack. If I have anything in the pockets, it forces me to push the strap down low so the whole pack has a tendency to ride down. This is tolerable since I usually keep them empty to stuff skins for the descent, but it’s still kind of inconvenient.

https://youtube.com/shorts/5ruMhiAfrQM?feature=share
    Last edited by jackattack; 02-15-2022 at 08:39 PM.

I’ll be looking for a new thread around July and treat myself to a nice birthday present. I like what I see.

^^^ thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Micol and FRS crew, I applaud your generosity and support of the community, and hope you’ll take this suggestion as an honest suggestion to help improve the product going forward.

I took advantage of the program this fall, trading in a well used Beta AR for a very fair credit. I am impressed with the quality and fit of the jacket I bought https://www.freeridesystems.com/prod...er-jacket-lime. I’ll continue to use it until a better neoshell option comes along. It’s the best shell material in existence for ski touring. The hood design is great. The collar is roomy enough and the double zipper is another clutch feature the big brands frequently overlook.

My honest feedback is that the pockets are simply too small and the main pockets are too low. First, it’s a real struggle to stow a skin in each of the large pockets, and neither my phone nor a small camera will fit in the chest or inside pockets. Second, the main pockets interfere with the waist strap on my pack. If I have anything in the pockets, it forces me to push the strap down low so the whole pack has a tendency to ride down. This is tolerable since I usually keep them empty to stuff skins for the descent, but it’s still kind of inconvenient.
    warning: tl/dr follows:

so lets work with this a bit. we are always open and listening to feedback

first i will say that this is not the first time people have mentioned the hindrance of our pockets being underneath hip belts. my question is always. "what are you carrying in there?" u must admit that the zippers flow pretty easily to work around the pack strap, but my guess is trying to wedge skins into a 6.5" zipper opening is pretty tough. in a momment i will tell you why they are there. but, first if skins are what you are using those outside front pockets for, it is a bit of a "stretch" to get them in as that pocket zipper is a 6.5" ykk and after subtracting a bit for the edges of the pocket openings where the zipper stop and slider/pull reside at opposite ends you have about 150mm to work before reducing that further with the thickness/bulk of skins. This means that there is a a lot of skin material trying to ingress a small opening and the pack straps would def complicate that maneuver unless u are skiing like 80mm waist skis (which obviously not many of us are..), so what is the answer. (besides moving the pockets up)....

remedies

1) the second product we ever made was the "skin pouch" , this is an extremely low profile waterproof holder made for skins. this thing can fit under your jacket in front or back or over jacket and under a pack. it is super easy to pull it around from front to back and back to front to access the contents. this will eliminate the bulk in the front of your jacket trying to hold wet skins. the skin pouch also is waterproof so does not leak. i will see that you are sent one and you can play around with it...its nice for storing a few other things as well....this is not a fat traditional fanny pack... i say again thin, low profile and it was made just for skins.. https://www.freeridesystems.com/prod...e-skin-carrier

Name:  sp1.png
Views: 191
Size:  50.9 KB

2) if you have to use front pockets for skins, i would go to our flagship antero 2 or 2+ and gain inside open pockets (2+ would be the thinner neoshell (in correct weight versions) similar to the a3 you have ).. we do not try to upsell people while we used to try to figure out where and how people will be using our jackets (not sure if our current Cust Svc is doing so) and make recommendations when the customer is receptive. anyway, the 2 and 2+ has the handy open interior pockets which you can access with the 2 way zip pretty easily (see pic w fat pair of OR snow booties and a glove). these are located on both sides of the jacket and are made from neoshell so any contents that is not sticking up and above will be pretty watertight while in there and not bleed water into your outside waist pockets...

all of our outside zipping waist and chest pockets are 6.5" . here are things i store in those pockets...top outside chest, ski pass (inbounds) , lip balm/doubles for nose sunscreen, a backup personal nose spreader thingy - for better breathing, slope meter. / front outside waist pockets, compass on a cord, hangs outside jacket when trekking, phone in a softshell insulated case, two OR P100 glove liners, one in each pocket, maps (if multiple in skin pouch), some tool to clear ice out of tour boot pin slots , i think thats it, sunglasses mayb. all of these things are easily retrievable around a pack hip strap. / inside is where i will carry skins (but i prefer the skin pouch) used to keep an extra google lens, but have used a water bladder with hose going up towards top of collar (inbounds hike to). inside zip chest pocket, car key, house key, i.d., money.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inside.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	406136

so as promised the reason the pockets reside at the bottom of the waist and not higher is that i believe in having the bottom of pockets sewn into the bottom hem of the jacket for strength. This is a matter of designing for strength and reduction of interior linings and layers within a jacket that 100% will affect the performance of the neoshell fabric. The a3 for the record does utilize two layers of neoshell upfront from neckline to base hem which costs us an extra half yard of fabric ($$$) but is far superior to some sort of micromesh in many ways. not to mention this piece is there not only to serve as part of pocket construction but also as a shield facing forward to elements. ( the a 2+ only has one layer, but has dbl layered interior the lower pocket bags) most of the 2+ jackets are sewn from a thicker denier neoshell and do not need 2 layers. to continue, the only pockets that rely on a single stitch (or could b a dbl stitch if needed) is the a3 chest pockets which we know carry less bulk and weight ( or at least they should be). the a2 and a2+ chest use pocket bag design (stronger). So, again a3, a2, a2+ all have the waist pockets terminate into the bottom hem of the jackets for strength. Could we put pockets up higher, yes we could, maybe we will for a specific jacket use design jacket...but for now we have not. could we use bigger zippers for the waist pockets, yes, but there are internal manufacturing reasons we do not as well as that it promotes overloading the front pockets....everyone may not agree with these decisions, but they are ours for now.

so to sum it up, thanks for feedback, we do pay attention and try to balance with our manufacturing insight/warranty knowledge/ and design for strength and performance....if we were to introduce a new true tour specific jacket, we might incorporate higher waist pockets, and some other things here and there...
    www.freeridesystems.com