Opinions Needed: 24" BMX or 26" DJ for Skills

A bit of analysis paralysis here.

I can't always make it out to the trails, but I always want to ride my bike.

I'm looking for something that I can practice with:
    1. Around the neighborhood: Manuals, Hoping onto things, 180's, etc.
    2. At the Bike Park: Small / Medium dirt jumps and slope style, pump track, etc.

Price is a factor. I want to stay under $1000 and frankly the sub $1k dirt jumps seem "cheap" and used isn't much discounted from new (currently)

Which Direction do I go?

26" DJ.

Going from any sort of modern trail bike to a dirt jumper already feels really weird. There was a time when a dirt jumper and trail bike geometry wasn't that different, but that time has long passed. But a 24" bmx is even differenter. You'll spend so much time trying to figure out how to feel comfortable on the bike that you won't really ever get around to the fun stuff.

Buy a used DJ. Even if it's kinda trashed, it's not like there's a lot to fix on it. Pretty much the only thing that warrants attention is whether the fork tops out (which a lot of crappy dj forks do). Everything else is easy / cheap to fix.

Unless you have a prior BMX background riding a BMX after 30 is asking for trouble. Some years ago I was looking for a DJ and bought a 20" BMX instead because it was so much cheaper and I thought it would be a great way to skill-build. Still have the clavicle hardware that decision bought me. That's less likely to happen on a 24" BMX, but still way more likely than the DJ.

unless tricks are your goal i agree 26in dj is a hell of a lot closer to a mtb than 24 bmx, and a hell of a lot of fun

the market is tough right now, 1200 new gets you a solid bike, used is great if you can find a deal that isnt overpriced

good frame, circus expert, decent wheels, upgrade the rest as you go

i heart my dj bikes
    Name:  IMG_2754.JPG
Views: 351
Size:  89.9 KB

Glad everyone has consensus.
    I picked up a used P3 in great shape for less than my goal price. Probably more than I would have paid at a different time, but so it goes.

Thanks all.

nice score!
    what fork did it come with, circus sport by chance?
    if so grab a damper from the comp model for cheap and its a huge improvement
    more info here
    https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...1481&pagenum=1

also the stock p series wheels are often not tensioned very high so maybe worth going over them with a spoke wrench, and if it is the more recent frame with built in tensioners add some locktite to the threads and grab some spare hardware for when they fall out eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Unless you have a prior BMX background riding a BMX after 30 is asking for trouble. Some years ago I was looking for a DJ and bought a 20" BMX instead because it was so much cheaper and I thought it would be a great way to skill-build. Still have the clavicle hardware that decision bought me. That's less likely to happen on a 24" BMX, but still way more likely than the DJ.
    https://youtu.be/7kecW5p0b5I
    Just replace 20s with 30s and skateboard with bmx and you have this song.

Hah, totally!

I bought this a couple days ago this at a pawn shop
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartSelect_20210731-180257_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	914.6 KB 
ID:	381232

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Glad everyone has consensus.
    I picked up a used P3 in great shape for less than my goal price. Probably more than I would have paid at a different time, but so it goes.

Thanks all.
    You can put that money saved towards your deductible later this year or maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    You can put that money saved towards your deductible later this year or maybe next year.
    I meet that by Feb every year. Basically like having free healthcare