Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Zones near Driggs? Swan Valley?

Hey I have a short week before and after Pierre's Hole at Grand targhee to camp and ride. I could boogie up to Ketchum Stanley again but want to try something new. Ideally at least one ride from camp. One zone before (coming up from CO) and one after (planning on some wind river backpack so end up down there).
    Dispersed NF camper. Friend might come second week and says cell service needed.
    Looking at Trail forks. I like to ride like 25 miles with 3-6k vert a day. Wheels stay on ground. I really like Ketchum Stanley area.
    I see Northern Teton zone. Looks rad but not a ton of info.
    South Big holes?
    Caribou highlands look amazing also.
    I drove swan valley last winter when other passes were closed.
    I just drove from Jackson to rock springs on 191 and the hoback river valley seems really cool. Stopped at the granite hot springs.
    So much out there and I'm kind of overwhelmed with info so thought I would ask here.

Thanks for helping this wanderer out with some "beta" . I've been on the road for a month. Another month to go!

Photo for attention. Identify the location!
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Zones near Driggs? Swan Valley?

Taggart lake/Avalanche canyon.

Edited to say: I’ll let others chime in on beta for here, much more qualified people to answer that than me.

Lots to recommend. Dispersed camping in Horseshoe Canyon. South Fork Horseshoe to Mahogany, or to Garns out and back, some hike a bike going up, all rideable down. Post Pierres, Spooky to Corral to Red Creek, or pleasant loops in Southern Valley trails from Mike Harris. Find a friend to shuttle so you dont ride ultra busy highway and ride Mail Cabin to Mikesell. PM me for details and pins.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Phelps Lake/Death Canyon.

25mi rides:
    Grove/Teton Crest/Mahogany, about 5 miles of easy road back.
    Mail Cabin/Elbow Fork/N. Fork/Fogg Hill/Sheep Driveway/Tie Canyon (need a shuttle).
    S. Fork Horseshoe/Garns/Blacktail/S. Canyon/back to S. Fork.

Good but busy dispersed camping in Teton Canyon, good base for Pierre's. We'll see you there.

Edit to add the Lionhead, classic alpine ride. Mile Creek to Targhee Pass is just about 25mi/5000'. Shuttle needed unless you want to add 15 miles of road. About an hour and a half north of here.

Just to add to Pancho's dad and HMS's great advice:

North Teton area on trail forks is...ambitious. There's a lot of potential in there, and a lot of logging roads that are rideable, but most of what's on the map, beyond Decoster, is not traditional "good, fun single track" it's a lot of adventure riding on old road grades. Not like Stanley, where if it's on the map, it's probably sweet single track.

If you ride out of South Valley, I highly recommend Nemo, Hillbender, Pole Canyon, Mike Sell. Gets you the same sweet descent as Mail Cabin, but you get a full single track loop.

Up Phillips ridge, down Phillips canyon is always a nice ride. Same with up Old Pass Road and down Blacks

Heads up, Phillip’s Ridge is basically closed for fuel suppression work. But Canyon is open.
    JHyatt, if you know what dates you can ride, give a shout, I bet one of us could go for a spin with you. There are definitely ‘correct’ direction choices for given trails.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post

North Teton area on trail forks is...ambitious. There's a lot of potential in there, and a lot of logging roads that are rideable, but most of what's on the map, beyond Decoster, is not traditional "good, fun single track" it's a lot of adventure riding on old road grades. Not like Stanley, where if it's on the map, it's probably sweet single track.

If you ride out of South Valley, I highly recommend Nemo, Hillbender, Pole Canyon, Mike Sell. Gets you the same sweet descent as Mail Cabin, but you get a full single track loop.

Up Phillips ridge, down Phillips canyon is always a nice ride. Same with up Old Pass Road and down Blacks
    Spot on advice.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Damnit!

Likely as good a place as any to ask but sorry for a little thread drift.

Any comments on the Pierre’s hole course? I won’t really have time to pre ride. From the overview it Looks like mostly shortish climbs but beyond that I’m not sure what to expect I’ve only ridden a couple trails at targee. Mostly smooth sailing or anything to really be aware of? Any areas that are really worth spinning on Friday to get a look at?

Cascade Canyon...

The pic is Phelps lake where the famous swimmer gets the purest bing water.

Thanks I will look at all of these great suggestions.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Heads up, Phillip’s Ridge is basically closed for fuel suppression work. But Canyon is open.
    JHyatt, if you know what dates you can ride, give a shout, I bet one of us could go for a spin with you. There are definitely ‘correct’ direction choices for given trails.
    Probably August 2-5, week before Pierre's. And then a few days afterwards if I have camping with cell signal. Let's ride!
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post

Good to know about North tetons. Looks awesome on trailforks. Laps of riding up a dirt road, ride across and then choose a down
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Sounds good, maybe an ‘any and all’ maggot ride?
    Anyone else?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Thanks for all the tips! I plan on pre riding the course or parts of it at some point.
    I have an orange helmet, green shorts. Black Santa cruz.
    I might wear a white button down short sleeve shirt. No tie.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Likely as good a place as any to ask but sorry for a little thread drift.

Any comments on the Pierre’s hole course? I won’t really have time to pre ride. From the overview it Looks like mostly shortish climbs but beyond that I’m not sure what to expect I’ve only ridden a couple trails at targee. Mostly smooth sailing or anything to really be aware of? Any areas that are really worth spinning on Friday to get a look at?
    The race starts with a climb up Peaked, maybe 1200' climb, and then a long switchbacky descent down 38 Special. Most of the rest is shorter climbs. Nothing very technical, lots of cornering, almost all single track except for the start. If you're doing the 100 mile you climb up to the summit and descend Sidewinder, which is a little chunkier but still an intermediate trail.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Sounds good, maybe an ‘any and all’ maggot ride?
    Anyone else?
    I'm around and riding. Would love to find someone for shuttle.
    Will likely take Friday off.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    I'm around and riding. Would love to find someone for shuttle.
    Will likely take Friday off.
    Maybe @panchosdad wants to ride Thursday? I'm taking today off and just made a plan for tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post

25mi rides:
    Grove/Teton Crest/Mahogany, about 5 miles of easy road back.

S. Fork Horseshoe/Garns/Blacktail/S. Canyon/back to S. Fork.

2nd one looks great. But long if trail has slow speeds.
    1st, do you mean nickerson grove/TWIN CREEK/mahogany?

I will probably do that Nemo/pole canyon/mikesell. Looks straight forward and fun.

Rode Mill Creek out and back last night at sunset. Dirt is just so tacky after the rain. So good.

Do people carry bear spray on this side of the tetons? I didn't think so but saw some riders with it. I thought just black no brown here.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Maybe @panchosdad wants to ride Thursday? I'm taking today off and just made a plan for tomorrow.

Are you guys racing Saturday?

Do people carry bear spray on this side of the tetons? I didn't think so but saw some riders with it. I thought just black no brown here.
    Definitely grizz around the west side of the Tetons.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Are you guys racing Saturday?
    Dan is, but I just bailed. Was making me grumpy. Sold my entry. How's your back?

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Dan is, but I just bailed. Was making me grumpy. Sold my entry. How's your back?

Ha,grumpy. It’s good enough that I’m thinking of testing it on a short ride this weekend.

Shot in the dark but does anyone around here have a sram dub self extracting cap and bolt? Gx 12 speed
    I want to change chainring but can't because that piece is not on my bike and shop doesn't have one. So can't remove cranks.
    In other news riding here is awesome and you are lucky.
    Today south horseshoe to mahogany and then got lost on the ride back on the roads
    Yesterday the Nemo pole Creek mike sell loop. Then a shuttle on Phillips ridge.
    Ride Mill Creek up and down first evening.
    I should rest tomorrow.

This is part I think
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...ting-cap-black
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Shot in the dark but does anyone around here have a sram dub self extracting cap and bolt? Gx 12 speed
    I want to change chainring but can't because that piece is not on my bike and shop doesn't have one. So can't remove cranks.
    In other news riding here is awesome and you are lucky.
    Today south horseshoe to mahogany and then got lost on the ride back on the roads
    Yesterday the Nemo pole Creek mike sell loop. Then a shuttle on Phillips ridge.
    Ride Mill Creek up and down first evening.
    I should rest tomorrow.

This is part I think
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...ting-cap-black
    Which shop did you try? If you do some heavy beer bribing you should be able to convince one of the valley shops to lend you a bolt from a stock bike to do your chainring swap, and then give it back once you're snugged back up.

Those self extracting bolts are a PITA, I've lost three of the caps in the last two years, and found another three in various trails/parking lots to replace mine with.