Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Clubbing seal pups? Real heroic stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    This thread is a shit show.Ha. Was this too on the nose for an angry response?
    No joke. It actually happened. Just didn't feel that frumdee's witless post merited a reply.

https://rusticgoatak.com/
    https://rusticgoatak.com/menu/#Pizza

Bike Loud PDX is a Portland-focused cycling and traffic safety advocacy group. Our goal is to empower and support active transportation and create safer streets via grassroots advocacy campaigns. We make Portland better through bikes!

https://bikeloudpdx.org/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    I suspect I would, since I built my home, fed and educated my family, and started my professional practice and real estate empire with the proceeds from my successful commercial fishing operation.
    I pay more taxes than a thousand of you, and if it ever came down to it, I could make it as a fucking seal hunter or street busker or novelist or goddamn bond trader or Fuller brush salesman.

But that's not why I'm a leading citizen in a town full of amazing and awesome people. No, the real reason is because I ride on the fucking bike paths whenever possible.
    All of those things don’t happen in a vacuum. There’s tons of public infrastructure that allow the trade in goods and transportation of said goods. Those we paid for in large part by the government. You wouldn’t have accomplished any of those things without subsidies even if they aren’t direct to you.

I’m sure you’re industrious and ambitious but you seem to lack understanding of how a society works. I don’t think that is the case though, you just like playing an asshole here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I knew someone who was truly independent of government--she and her husband lived off the grid in Wyoming and were subsistence hunters/poachers. She ditched the husband after a year and went to med school. Of course they weren't truly independent--they had to buy ammunition which means an infrastructure dependent supply chain. Can't remember if they had a gas-using vehicle of some sort.

When I can't make the little hills going around Donner Lake I guess I'll have to get an ebike. Or stop my blood pressure med so I can get my heart rate over 80. I still have a gear to give so maybe I can hold it off a year or two more.

Bike Loud PDX is a Portland-focused cycling and traffic safety advocacy group. Our goal is to empower and support active transportation and create safer streets via grassroots advocacy campaigns. We make Portland better through bikes!

https://bikeloudpdx.org/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Clubbing seal pups? Real heroic stuff there.
    Oh I'm sorry, you must have confused me for a Canadian?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    All of those things don’t happen in a vacuum. There’s tons of public infrastructure that allow the trade in goods and transportation of said goods. Those we paid for in large part by the government. You wouldn’t have accomplished any of those things without subsidies even if they aren’t direct to you.

I’m sure you’re industrious and ambitious but you seem to lack understanding of how a society works. I don’t think that is the case though, you just like playing an asshole here.

Did I not tell you I pay more taxes than a thousand of you? Yes I did.
    You don't let facts like that get in the way of your insipid little troll rants, do you? Enjoy your loaf of government cheese food product, and stop prating.

You don't let facts like that get in the way of your insipid little troll rants, do you? Enjoy your loaf of government cheese food product, and stop prating.
    Anything's possible, but more taxes than a thousand dentists is a lot of scratch. Have you ever considered throwing a tiny percentage of your wealth at subsidizing rock star bike lanes to get all those anorexic roadies off the highway? I'd like about an 8 foot lane on each side of the highway, with clearly delineated areas for peds and cyclists, happy to come on board as a design consultant for a very reasonable fee.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    US has spent 100 years catering to cars instead of pedestrians and cyclist. Even if we try, it won't change quickly. Tokyo is one of the most bicycle friendly cities on earth and has a high population density. It has an advantage over NYC in that it was mostly built after WWII. Japanese are ok being crammed on top of one another and walking, biking, and taking transit everywhere. Americans, not so much.
    Hmm, have you been to Tokyo? Aside from some of the parks and paths along the rivers there's almost no infrastructure for cyclists. Cycling in Tokyo is (relatively) safe because Japanese drivers are polite and accept that bikes belong on the road, not because it's particularly well designed for it. (It probably helps that traffic is so terrible in the city center that people are usually driving slow.) Also, as in much of the world outside the US, bikes are primarily viewed as a practical means of transportation - you'll see kids, grandmas, and men in business suits all riding on the road mixed in with cars (no bike lanes).

I have a very clear memory of being in a taxi in Japan that was behind a sarariman on a bike. I expected the cabbie to be impatient, maybe honk, etc. but he just acted like he was behind a car in traffic - mind boggling.

https://medium.com/vision-zero-citie...o-b3b8eded727e

The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy estimates that cycling mode share in Japan is around 16 percent, somewhere between the two percent in the U.S., and 25 percent in the Netherlands.[1]

For a country of 130 million people, that 16 percent is a serious number of people on bikes and, for them, cycling is a normal, everyday means of transportation. According to Japan’s latest Nationwide Person-Trip Survey, most bike trips are under five kilometers (three miles). The Japan Bicycle Promotion Institute recently reported that people’s top reason for using their bicycle was shopping, followed by social activities, and then by commuting. Bicycle ownership is accessible in cost, with 65 percent of bicycles in Japan sold for no more than 30,000 yen (under $300). It is also accessible in physicality, with 60 percent of bikes being step-through cruisers, known as city cycles or mamachari (literally “mothers’ bikes”).

But for all this bike culture, and in sharp opposition to places with both smaller and larger mode shares like New York City or the Netherlands, protected bike lanes are virtually nonexistent in Tokyo and across Japan. What is introduced as cycling infrastructure are sharrows or shared paths on the sidewalk. Former New York City Department of Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan pointed out this lack of dedicated, protected infrastructure while visiting Japan in 2019, and as other global cities build more and more protected infrastructure, Tokyo’s lack of such infrastructure moved the city from 9th to 16th in the 2019 Copenhagenize Index.

Yet, despite the lack of infrastructure, cycling in Japan is fairly safe. An International Transport Forum discussion paper from 2018 shows that cyclist fatalities per 100 million kilometers cycled were around 0.8 in the Netherlands between 2011 to 2015.[2] Calculated in the same manner, the figures would be around 5.3 for the U.S. (2009),[3] and around 2.3 for Japan (2011–2015).[4] Risk for cyclists in Japan is right in the middle, just like its mode-share, even though the country has less infrastructure for cycling in its cities than either locale.

You paid for all the roads, seaports and airports by yourself?

54-46 can you please disclose your boner for this subject?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    54-46 can you please disclose your boner for this subject?

I was initially ranting about the news coverage and didn’t think it would lead to much.

Once people started replying it seemed like fun to share cycling resources and torque Hangnail, er HighAngle. (HA - You on roids, Boy?)

Funny, I’m 80/20 MTB/roadie ratio and see lots of people here make huge assumptions and have prejudices about roadies. It’s pretty amusing.

IMO, bike is bike.

You paid for all the roads, seaports and airports by yourself?

Yes

Q: What do you call a person from Wisconsin who always has a lot to say?

A: A Milwaukee-Talkie

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    HA - You on roids, Boy?
    Live Strong

Yes

Q: What do you call a person from Wisconsin who always has a lot to say?

A: A Milwaukee-Talkie
    Ha! Now I know you’re just trolling, we discussed this detail. Apologies if you’re in the early throes is dementia

I pay more taxes than a thousand of you, and if it ever came down to it, I could make it as a fucking seal hunter oe.
    You pay takes? I thought you are a rugged individual living in the Land of the free and not some communist pansy in a nanny state?

And I thought you hunted road bikers and sold their gore TeX to the dentist crowd?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    You pay takes? I thought you are a rugged individual living in the Land of the free and not some communist pansy in a nanny state?

And I thought you hunted road bikers and sold their gore TeX to the dentist crowd?

You're a kook and a nictating goofball though. One who found and joined this forum based on a Jet Plane on a Treadmill or Paleo Diet thread. It's only natural you would misapprehend and become confused in your Naruto rush to be the goofiest bastard in any given room - pretty sure you can't even ride a bike.

I like bike paths. It's just a shame road bikers can't seem to use bike paths yet they always seem to have these great ideas to level entire city blocks and destroy entire municipal tax bases to build more bike paths which, again and at the risk of belaboring the point, they won't ride on anyway.

It's Not a Bike Accident When a Car Hits a Rider

You're a kook and a nictating goofball though. One who found and joined this forum based on a Jet Plane on a Treadmill or Paleo Diet thread. It's only natural you would misapprehend and become confused in your Naruto rush to be the goofiest bastard in any given room - pretty sure you can't even ride a bike.

I like bike paths. It's just a shame road bikers can't seem to use bike paths yet they always seem to have these great ideas to level entire city blocks and destroy entire municipal tax bases to build more bike paths which, again and at the risk of belaboring the point, they won't ride on anyway.
    We’ve got one bike path in Wenatchee WA, not WI, it’s great, I use it sometimes to get around town. The problem is that it has no practical use otherwise than recreational riding. I try and use quieter side streets when I’m commuting or running errands. I don’t understand the riders who insist on riding the main thoroughfares when a safer more pleasant alternative is just a block away. I’m not surprised when we have the occasional cyclist hit on the main roads but I don’t wish them harm.

I’m always surprised how selfish and clueless the average motorist is too. It’s too bad there’s so many assholes in the world, cyclists and motorists, people need to slow down and look out for others.

I don’t really want any special concessions made for cyclists, I just want both groups to be safe and respectful.

In case anyone wonders if bikes really have a “right” to the road, here’s some interesting history

https://www.bikeleague.org/content/mission-and-history

The irony of highangle complaining about bike paths destroying entire towns and tax bases is getting pretty thick considering the history of how the motor vehicle system was built.

In case anyone wonders if bikes really have a “right” to the road, here’s some interesting history

https://www.bikeleague.org/content/mission-and-history

So what you're saying is that if we didn't have bikes we wouldn't have paved roads and everyone would slow down and stay close to home and we wouldn't have global warming. Thanks Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    The irony of highangle complaining about bike paths destroying entire towns and tax bases is getting pretty thick considering the history of how the motor vehicle system was built.
    I'm not talking about bike paths destroying entire towns and tax bases, only some of the hare-brained ideas some of you road bikers have pooped out - falcon3's nifty plan for removing the buildings on every 10th block of Manhattan comes to mind...Even bike boxes require traffic calming, something only feasible in residential and light commercial areas with plenty of RoW on roads that aren't thoroughfares...

What is a motor vehicle system? If you mean "The way the roads are!", you're talking about a thing that has evolved over several generations undertaken by thousands of unrelated entities for lots of different reasons. Kind of dumb to consider it as a single easily changeable thing built by a couple old guys with a shovel.
    Last edited by highangle; 08-03-2021 at 04:03 PM.