Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    A long time and well respected member of this forum was also killed not that long ago. I guess the word didn't make it to all of the asshats. Vibes.
    Maybe the asshats were all Boy Scouts.

Name:  Image1628513963.471503.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  170.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    A Mag's son, a competitive bike racer, was killed in a auto/bike collision not that long ago. I've avoided bring it up out of respect, but evidently some here were not aware?

And since we're on that subject, my complaints about dumbass haughty self-centered road bikers misusing their privilege have been about road bikers engaging in patently unsafe practices when far safer alternatives are available. Use the fucking bike paths, assholes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily have characterized the tenor of your comments as respectful, but you do you. As far as the fucking bike paths, didn't you just say there aren't bike paths on many of your roads?

Also, you're still foaming at the mouth over seeing one dipshit doing something ill considered weeks ago; do you really want to let the guy live rent free in your head like that?
    Also, States should just have laws. That would solve all the problems. Like, if the law said, "cyclists must use the path..." then I would eat crow. Or "cyclist are allowed on roadway..." then highangle could STFU already.

I wonder why no one has ever thought of that.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Also, States should just have laws. That would solve all the problems. Like, if the law said, "cyclists must use the path..." then I would eat crow. Or "cyclist are allowed on roadway..." then highangle could STFU already.

I wonder why no one has ever thought of that.
    https://bikeleague.org/StateBikeLaws

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    WAIT.JUST.A.GODDAMN.MINUTE...are you telling me that there are actual laws...on the books...that allow bicycles on a road????? Even in Alaska????

WAIT.JUST.A.GODDAMN.MINUTE...are you telling me that there are actual laws...on the books...that allow bicycles on a road????? Even in Alaska????
    You may want to read the AK bike laws first. They are not exactly progressive when it comes to cyclists.

Of course there are state laws and of course cars could brake or slow down and of course the occasional douchebag roadie could smarten up and stop triggering road rage. But I doubt it's going to change driver behavior. Whenever I'm on two wheels I assume I'm invisible to all the drivers except the ones who want to kill me.

One thing that frightens me is the difference in driver behavior when I ride with a safety message jersey - e.g., "DON'T RUN ME OVER" or "THREE FEET, IT'S THE LAW." Those get me a half-lane or full lane of clearance from 9 out of 10 passing cars. It's not like I'm invisible otherwise - bright jerseys and blinkies galore. But if I don't literally spell it out, drivers don't get it, and only 1 out of 10 would give me that clearance.

PS - Garmin Varia rear radar system = best bike $$ ever spent.

I don't care how dorky my bar end mirror looks, it gives a massive amount of presence of mind when riding on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    You may want to read the AK bike laws first. They are not exactly progressive when it comes to cyclists.
    I did....and, no, they're not. But they also don't allow GIANT DAMN AIRHORNS just b/c a driver is annoyed that they have to wait an entire 30seconds to get by someone.

I wrote, way earlier in the thread, that I understand...cyclists can be GIANT dicks and waiting behind them can be frustrating. But the idea that it's OK to fuck with them, run them off the road, or whatever is crazy to me.

That jerk on a bike could, at the same time, be a loving father to a 3yr old...or maybe a surgeon at a children's hospital...or a nurse who spent the last year doing COVID shifts at the hospital.

Many drivers should lighten up. As an added bonus, it's prolly good for their mental health to not get worked up over something so trivial as a cyclist slowing their progress.

But what if the cyclist is a local republican council member, telemarketer, used car salesman or cat lover?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    But what if the cyclist is a local republican council member, telemarketer, used car salesman or cat lover?
    Well, fuck that guy

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

"and"..."or"?

Yes
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I did....and, no, they're not. But they also don't allow GIANT DAMN AIRHORNS just b/c a driver is annoyed that they have to wait an entire 30seconds to get by someone.

I wrote, way earlier in the thread, that I understand...cyclists can be GIANT dicks and waiting behind them can be frustrating. But the idea that it's OK to fuck with them, run them off the road, or whatever is crazy to me.

That jerk on a bike could, at the same time, be a loving father to a 3yr old...or maybe a surgeon at a children's hospital...or a nurse who spent the last year doing COVID shifts at the hospital.

Many drivers should lighten up. As an added bonus, it's prolly good for their mental health to not get worked up over something so trivial as a cyclist slowing their progress.

Unless you happen to be an ambulance in Pitkin County, Colorado... you know as well as I that it very rarely has anything to do with "a cyclist slowing their progress"...

It's road bikers "having to" play in the fucking highway and increasing the anxiety and consternation of every driver who has to crowd the centerline and oncoming traffic to avoid turning you into a spandex grease spot...just like unsafe drivers increase anxiety and consternation. You're demanding little fuckers. You make the road more hazardous.

Last edited by highangle; 08-09-2021 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    To pay for things like this, the US's first (and only) bridge that is only open to bikes, pedestrians, and transit, and not cars.

I don't like those bike taxes though, because they kill local bike shops and force us to buy everything on Jenson.

So a $15 bridge tax on a $6000 road bike drives you road bikers to fuck your local bike shop and buy online?
    You really do suck on so many levels.

It doesn't have a damn thing to do with your "cyclist slowing their progress" strawman, road biker.
    It's road bikers "having to" play in the fucking highway and increasing the anxiety and consternation of every driver who has to crowd the centerline and oncoming traffic to avoid turning you into black jelly and tooth fragments...just like unsafe drivers. You're demanding little fuckers. You make the road more hazardous.
    I'm sorry...It has to do with "following the rules of the road." My point was: if you don't like the rules...change them. Lobby your legislature to change it to "bikes must use the bike lane."

Until you do, if you can't share the road with law abiding citizens without "anxiety and consternation" then perhaps you don't have the appropriate disposition to pilot a several thousand pound vehicle. I mean, not that you've shown this disposition at all in the 20 pages of this thread.

Whoever said "it should be much, much harder to get a driver's license" was spot on.

riding along in the bike lane, driver pulls up next to me and slows down, then speeds up enough to cut in front of me without signaling and stops. i hit the brakes and start to pass them on the left whereupon they make a uturn without signaling and I hit the brakes again. Just another day. I don't know that drivers are any worse to bikes than they are to other drivers, or get triggered more by bikes than other drivers--it's just human beings being entitled and/or paying attention to 3 other things besides driving.
    I would like to see a function in the car that follows your eyes and if they aren't constantly checking the mirrors and looking ahead or if they look anywhere else for more than 1/2 second the gradually slows a very powerful buzzer in the car seat is set off.

Buzzer = electric jolt to the genitals, right??

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Don't forget, that Republican bike rider owns a gun and will shoot at the first sign that you are infringing on their freedumbs.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Buzzer = electric jolt to the genitals, right??
    "Honey, your eyes are darting everywhere and what's that noise coming from the seat?"

"Don't bother me right now I'm driving."
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

It's Not a Bike Accident When a Car Hits a Rider

It's road bikers "having to" play in the fucking highway and increasing the anxiety and consternation of every driver
    You poor delicate snowflake.

God forbid you ever visit the Amish country, your heart might explode.

Hopefully its rising, but if the sun is setting here, I wouldn't be dilly dallying just watching it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	381891

I'm sorry...It has to do with "following the rules of the road." My point was: if you don't like the rules...change them. Lobby your legislature to change it to "bikes must use the bike lane."

Until you do, if you can't share the road with law abiding citizens without "anxiety and consternation" then perhaps you don't have the appropriate disposition to pilot a several thousand pound vehicle. I mean, not that you've shown this disposition at all in the 20 pages of this thread.

Whoever said "it should be much, much harder to get a driver's license" was spot on.
    Meanwhile, all I need to legally haul muh $400,000 36' long 12' wide Duckworth recreational offshore fishing penis with 3x250 Hondas is a OVERSIZE banner on my 40' $220,000 diesel pusher motorhome. And that section of road along the Lake is horribly substandard, lacking shoulders, sight distance, extra width in curves, and access limits...and it hasn't had a new coat of asphalt in 22 years...

Of course I realize the solution to this inherently dangerous bicycling environment is a cycling-only suspension causeway down the middle of Kenai Lake [with a monorail bullet train], but that's the headwaters of the Kenai River, and it's over 100 fathoms deep in places, calling for long spans between cable towers and lots of extra environmental bullshit "to protect the wittle salmon" which really adds cost to the job, if you know what I mean... But it's a nonissue because a large component of road bikers will find some way the Trillion Dollar Bridge is inconvenient, or a half mile out of their way, or they're just over it and would rather ride the roads with the amateur RVers and boaters...

Name:  hpm_0000_0005_0_img0168.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  30.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    You poor delicate snowflake.

God forbid you ever visit the Amish country, your heart might explode.
    God forbid you ever move to Mishawaka and give up the feel carbon fiber next to your ass... Amish buggies and wagons get waylaid on a regular basis, usually when the corn's tall and there's not enough sight distance at intersections, or there's an ice storm and they can't keep their shit any straighter than the trucks. Moreover, you should have to mount a 9" hard plastic reflective triangle facing aft on your rig too.

I spent a year in Boston commuting from Fenway to Beacon Hill via bike with no issues.

Now in my small metro west suburb I regularly bike the 1/2 mile between my house and the schools where I work.

I don't know what everyone is bitching about...

People just like to bitch and argue about stuff.