Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Okay, I laughed

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I read it in Jeremy Clarkson’s voice. Worked a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Shit dude, I paid more taxes on my bike purchases than 1000 billionaires paid last year.
    You neglect all the taxes on literally millions of gallons of general aviation Jet A in your computations.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    You neglect all the taxes on literally millions of gallons of general aviation Jet A in your computations.
    Aren’t those paid with Dark Money campaign donations or Re-Steal the Vote Go Fund Me $?

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Aren’t those paid with Dark Money campaign donations or Re-Steal the Vote Go Fund Me $?
    All billionaires are not Russian.

Wait, I think I've outed highangle, and he doesn't actually live in Alaska, but is Ed Orcutt, a GOP state rep from Kalama, WA. In an email proposing a bike tax to pay for the roads, highangle/Orcutt said:

you claim it is environmentally friendly to ride a bike. But if I am not mistaken, a cyclist has an increased heart rate and respiration, Than means the act of riding a bike results in greater emissions of carbon dioxide from the rider. Since CO2 is deemed to be a greenhouse gas and a pollutant, bicyclist are actually polluting when they ride
    https://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2013...ould-be-taxed/

https://cascade.org/2013/03/legislat...he-environment

All billionaires are not Russian.
    Or owned by Russians…

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Wait, I think I've outed highangle, and he doesn't actually live in Alaska, but is Ed Orcutt, a GOP state rep from Kalama, WA. In an email proposing a bike tax to pay for the roads, highangle/Orcutt said:

Whatever petroleum product that hairpiece is made from can't be good for the environment either.

I hate to mansplain here but automobiles make ppl money.
    States counties cities use your tax dollars to buy or otherwise secure RoW from other land owners to facilitate commerce. Commerce creates everything else, including nice things like paved bike paths and municipal golf links.
    Omg, thanks for the enlightenment, no one here knows how this works. You are truly omniscient

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Omg, thanks for the enlightenment, no one here knows how this works. You are truly omniscient

And I thought taxes come trickling down from the billionaire bookshelves filled with Aryn Rand first editions?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Aryan Rand? Is that the special Alaska compound edition?

The Oregon bicycle excise tax is a flat tax of $15, to be collected at the point of sale. Revenue from the bicycle excise tax goes into the Connect Oregon Fund to provide grants for bicycle and pedestrian transportation projects.
    Any other states have this?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post

German superior autocorrect. It's in our blood. And I thought you knew everything about Germans?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Any other states have this?
    Not that I've heard of. I'm really not sure what the point is, the state estimates it was going to raise $1.2 million/year, with $100k administrative costs. The initial proposal was for 4%-5% of the purchase price, which would have been catastrophic for Oregon bike shops...or maybe not, considering that the adjacent states have sales taxes higher than that, but at the least it would have put a damper on the accessories you might typically buy with a new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I'm really not sure what the point is
    To pay for things like this, the US's first (and only) bridge that is only open to bikes, pedestrians, and transit, and not cars.

I don't like those bike taxes though, because they kill local bike shops and force us to buy everything on Jenson.

To pay for things like this, the US's first (and only) bridge that is only open to bikes, pedestrians, and transit, and not cars.

I don't like those bike taxes though, because they kill local bike shops and force us to buy everything on Jenson.
    Yeah, I'm just saying that bridge cost north of $100m; the bike sales tax revenue isn't enough to make much of a dent in big capital projects. Given that the vast majority of cyclists also own / operate motor vehicles and pay gas tax, property tax, etc. etc., the idea of a separate funding stream from bike sales just seems kind of beside the point. Everyone benefits from good bike infrastructure, just like schools and roads, no need to have a performative bike sales tax that doesn't raise a meaningful amount of revenue.

I think the bike sales tax is to appease the “we are building bike infrastructure and they don’t pay for it!” crowd.

That level of funding is really only good for funding small projects or adding bike specific elements to larger projects. But, you can buy a lot of paint and glue/bolt down bollards for 1.5 million a year. See: tactical urbanism.

you claim it is environmentally friendly to ride a bike. But if I am not mistaken, a cyclist has an increased heart rate and respiration, Than means the act of riding a bike results in greater emissions of carbon dioxide from the rider. Since CO2 is deemed to be a greenhouse gas and a pollutant, bicyclist are actually polluting when they ride

This is FANTASTIC!!!! Just when you think you reached the limits of shit people can think up, you see stuff like this. Simply AMAZING!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    This is FANTASTIC!!!! Just when you think you reached the limits of shit people can think up, you see stuff like this. Simply AMAZING!

The story about the 100+ Pitkin County road bikers who couldn't be arsed to move out of the way of an ambulance with flashing lights on a callout to a bicycle wreck had the same effect on a lot of ppl.

In other news, my new 150db train horns should arrive from Amazon today or tomorrow. Pretty sure I got the loudest ones.

What started here as an in depth look at the semantics of bike/car collisions has certainly turned dark.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What started here as an in depth look at the semantics of bike/car collisions has certainly turned dark.
    Luckily it's all totally academic, though. I'm sure if this community ever lost one of its own to car on bike collisions we'd all be super reasonable from then on. Definitely.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Luckily it's all totally academic, though. I'm sure if this community ever lost one of its own to car on bike collisions we'd all be super reasonable from then on. Definitely.
    A Mag's son, a competitive bike racer, was killed in a auto/bike collision not that long ago. I've avoided bring it up out of respect, but evidently some here were not aware?

And since we're on that subject, my complaints about dumbass haughty self-centered road bikers misusing their privilege have been about road bikers engaging in patently unsafe practices when far safer alternatives are available. Use the fucking bike paths, assholes.

The story about the 100+ Pitkin County road bikers who couldn't be arsed to move out of the way of an ambulance with flashing lights on a callout to a bicycle wreck had the same effect on a lot of ppl.

In other news, my new 150db train horns should arrive from Amazon today or tomorrow. Pretty sure I got the loudest ones.
    I actually called those involved and discussed the situation. Out of respect of some of my friends I'm deleting what I had said.
    Last edited by grskier; 08-05-2021 at 03:07 PM.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

A Mag's son, a competitive bike racer, was killed in a auto/bike collision not that long ago. I've avoided bring it up out of respect, but evidently some here were not aware?

And since we're on that subject, my complaints about dumbass haughty self-centered road bikers misusing their privilege have been about road bikers engaging in patently unsafe practices when far safer alternatives are available. Use the fucking bike paths, assholes.
    I wouldn't necessarily have characterized the tenor of your comments as respectful, but you do you. As far as the fucking bike paths, didn't you just say there aren't bike paths on many of your roads?

Also, you're still foaming at the mouth over seeing one dipshit doing something ill considered weeks ago; do you really want to let the guy live rent free in your head like that?

A long time and well respected member of this forum was also killed not that long ago. I guess the word didn't make it to all of the asshats. Vibes.