Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    God dammit, don’t you make me use my fucking brake pads!

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Sort of related is how people in cars react in this situation when the bike is going roughly the same speed as traffic: a car will often pull alongside the rider and then brake or slow down to match the bikes speed before passing. It should happen just like passing a car where you wait for an opening and then make the pass but instead there's this weird parallel sequence before making the pass.
    Those are the same people who ride your ass in the left lane (as you're passing people of course!) and when you change into the right lane to let them pass will pull up next to you and the subconsciously match your speed until you get stuck behind a truck. The same people who will pull up next to a semi or sit off its left rear corner, terrified to pass it. When they finally get around it they floor it until they get to the next truck, so you can't pass them.

Bla bla...Use the fkn BIKE PATH.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Good eye! It's 15th and Belmont - you must know the neighborhood well, I wouldn't have been able to ID Belmont from this pic. Apparently the car was stolen and the perp got away, so don't know for sure, but seems likely substances were involved.
    Heh - I lived in metro PDX for 55 years - graduate of Madison HS
    Had friends who lived in the Dairy Lofts up the street from there

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post

Bro you don't want automobiles having to brake for you on your bike. Srsly.

We get it. You once saw a bike rider not use a bike path. Therefore they are all morons. Nothing about your story is an issue if the drivers are able to maintain their lane.

In other news, I watched 10+ vehicles speed through a residential neighborhood, fail to signal and fail to stop at a stop sign with kids and bike riders around. Therefore all car drivers are morons.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    I mean . He can do 276k miles on a used pad from the scrap yard. It's all technique.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    We get it. You once saw a bike rider not use a bike path. Therefore they are all morons. Nothing about your story is an issue if the drivers are able to maintain their lane.

In other news, I watched 10+ vehicles speed through a residential neighborhood, fail to signal and fail to stop at a stop sign with kids and bike riders around. Therefore all car drivers are morons.

'Aww poor baby! Has to slam on his brakes on the interstate!'

...I've never thrown anything at a road biker, but you fucking idiots deserve everything you get.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1627577611.119544.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	380979

Name:  darwin26.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  86.8 KB

Why can't everyone just get along?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Name:  darwin26.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  86.8 KB
    Great meme, that appears to be someone riding in the flat lands on a rural rode. You’re stupid but you knew that

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fatality Facts 2019 Bicyclists

Each year about 2 percent of motor vehicle crash deaths are bicyclists. Although child bicyclist deaths have declined over the years, deaths among bicyclists age 20 and older have tripled since 1975.

In a majority of bicyclist deaths, the most serious injuries are to the head, highlighting the importance of wearing a bicycle helmet.

The following facts are based on analysis of data from the U.S. Department of Transportation's Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS).

Trends

A total of 843 bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles in 2019. This represents a 3 percent decrease from the 868 bicyclist deaths that occurred in 2018. Although bicyclist deaths have decreased 16 percent since 1975, they have increased 36 percent since reaching their lowest point in 2010. Most bicyclist deaths in 2019 (90 percent) were those ages 20 and older. Deaths among bicyclists younger than 20 have declined 90 percent since 1975, while deaths among bicyclists 20 and older have tripled. In every year since 1975, many more male than female bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles. The decline since 1975 among female bicyclists (34 percent) was about 3 times the decline among male bicyclists (12 percent).

https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality...ail/bicyclists

If nothing else, Highangle is definitely showing that he's the go-to guy for beta when planning a cycle touring trip to Alaska - if I'm ever heading that way, I'll definitely get in touch

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Great meme, that appears to be someone riding in the flat lands on a rural rode. You’re stupid but you knew that

The meme writer was also too dumb to realize that the term ‘commuters’ includes people getting to work…..on a bike.

Yeah and for some reason I couldn't seem to find an old and established meme of a self-centered dimwit riding on Randy Rhodes either.
    Alas, you of all ppl know you just gotta eat shit sometimes.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...An-Anchor-Rode

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    If nothing else, Highangle is definitely showing that he's the go-to guy for beta when planning a cycle touring trip to Alaska - if I'm ever heading that way, I'll definitely get in touch

Looking forward to that, I must say...

Fatality Facts 2019 Bicyclists

Each year about 2 percent of motor vehicle crash deaths are bicyclists. Although child bicyclist deaths have declined over the years, deaths among bicyclists age 20 and older have tripled since 1975.

In a majority of bicyclist deaths, the most serious injuries are to the head, highlighting the importance of wearing a bicycle helmet.

The following facts are based on analysis of data from the U.S. Department of Transportation's Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS).

Trends

A total of 843 bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles in 2019. This represents a 3 percent decrease from the 868 bicyclist deaths that occurred in 2018. Although bicyclist deaths have decreased 16 percent since 1975, they have increased 36 percent since reaching their lowest point in 2010. Most bicyclist deaths in 2019 (90 percent) were those ages 20 and older. Deaths among bicyclists younger than 20 have declined 90 percent since 1975, while deaths among bicyclists 20 and older have tripled. In every year since 1975, many more male than female bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles. The decline since 1975 among female bicyclists (34 percent) was about 3 times the decline among male bicyclists (12 percent).

https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality...ail/bicyclists
    I’m going out on a limb here, do you think that maybe there’s a lot more people riding bicycles now?

I’m going out on a limb here, do you think that maybe there’s a lot more people riding bicycles now?

Lot more bike paths too, brah...

Interesting that it used to be minor children on minor roads which constituted the bulk of automobile/bike fatalities. But now the vast majority are adult children on heavily trafficked roads. Coincidence?

[2019] Three percent of bicyclist deaths occurred on interstates and freeways. Sixty-five percent of bicyclist deaths in 2019 occurred on major roads other than interstates and freeways, and 32 percent occurred on minor roads.

Interesting that it used to be minor children on minor roads which constituted the bulk of automobile/bike fatalities. But now the vast majority are adult children on heavily trafficked roads. Coincidence?
    The last time this exact same argument came up in a prior thread folks said it's because children are spending less time outside. Other people responded by saying that's because Americans are fat and lazy. Someone even posted a study to prove Americans of all ages are less active but the surprising finding buried in the study is the reason why... because Americans are increasingly afraid of inattentive people in cars and as a result many prefer not to go for walks or ride bikes when cars are present.

So congrats, I guess, for contributing to the self fulfilling prophecy. Your efforts (collectively speaking) terrorizing pedestrians and cyclists haven't been in vain.

Where I live there aren’t more dedicated bike paths. If you want to commute by bicycle you have to share the road with motor vehicles. I am in agreement that I can’t understand why some cyclists choose the roads they do when there’s a safer alternative and less trafficked road. We have signs everywhere that say share the road with pictures of bikes, pedestrians and tractors since it’s a rural agricultural area.

I ride to work on my bicycle and there’s no bike path or lane, does that mean I deserve to die? I mean that’s what you’ve posted multiple times. It seems like a fool’s errand to get this angry and carry around that much hate. I feel sorry for you.

Just a few comments:

There's too much hate in the world.

Generally, nationwide, about half of the cost of roads are paid for by gas taxes and motorist fees. The other half is from general taxes. Cars don't own (or pay for) the roads. Roads are for cars, trucks, moving heavy equipment, horses, bikes, motorcycles, etc.

Bike paths are almost always actually multiuse paths, and are funded for walkers, runners, cyclists, skateboards, etc.

Bikes have full rights to either place. Same with horse and buggies for that matter.

serious (fast) bicyclists don’t belong on most bike paths

We occasionally ride the bike path along the Truckee river on our ancient commuter type bikes--clogged with pedestrians walking on the wrong side despite the frequent signs showing them which side is for walking (facing bike traffic), families with little kids riding several abreast with the kids veering into the opposite lane, people stopped and chatting and gawking in the lane,etc etc. I can certainly understand why a serious road biker would avoid that path like the plague*. OTOH the American River Trail in Sacramento is heavily used by the TDF wannabes.

*I realize that avoiding the plague is out of fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

*I realize that avoiding the plague is out of fashion.
    It went away with my subtlety.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.