Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    “Protected” being the key to this equation.

Dutch bike lane

Attachment 381454

American bike lane

Attachment 381455
    We have protected bike lanes in the US, just not enough.

Not enough for road bikers to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    You're a kook and a nictating goofball though. One who found and joined this forum based on a Jet Plane on a Treadmill or Paleo Diet thread. It's only natural you would misapprehend and become confused in your Naruto rush to be the goofiest bastard in any given room - pretty sure you can't even ride a bike.
    It's kinda cute really that some jong from 2009 thinks I joined the forum because of anything else than skiing, but go on elaborate on your Brilliant ideas.

I mainly downhill mtbed ( until the kids came along and I decided to keep climbing and skiing and lost mtbing along the way), but I commute to work every day, on a road.

Luckily there are no truck owning angry freedom lovers here in our communist utopia who want to kill me because I'm on the road.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

You don't know that...

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    I’m typically pro-bike allocation of ROW, but this isn’t a good idea in most situations. Tends to drive down car visitations which drives out business and then you end up with a dead zone where no one wants to go.

Pedestrian malls have worked in Burlington and Boulder, but Eugene is a cautionary tale about how these can go the other way.

Protected bike lanes are currently a better solution IMO.
    Car free zones work where there is already a lot of foot traffic--ie the old center of many European cities but taking out the cars doesn't bring pedestrians where there were few before--K St mall in Sacramento.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Car free zones work where there is already a lot of foot traffic--ie the old center of many European cities but taking out the cars doesn't bring pedestrians where there were few before--K St mall in Sacramento.
    It's called urban planning and it's about thinking 50 years down the road, not next year. In 50 years, do you think K St pedestrian mall in Sac will be empty? No, it will be the heart of the city with dense housing, walk able (and bike able) neighborhoods, and transit connecting it to other neighborhoods. E.G. a place where lots of people can live together without using a car. Thank god we have urban planners designing our cities and not ignorant buffoons like highangle.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    It's called urban planning and it's about thinking 50 years down the road, not next year. In 50 years, do you think K St pedestrian mall in Sac will be empty? No, it will be the heart of the city with dense housing, walk able (and bike able) neighborhoods, and transit connecting it to other neighborhoods. E.G. a place where lots of people can live together without using a car. Thank god we have urban planners designing our cities and not ignorant buffoons like highangle.
    In the meantime, why don't you use all that self-righteous pedantic energy to elucidate road bikers to the wisdom bike paths?

I don't get your complaint that bikers don't use bike paths? That certainly isn't the case in the Seattle area, one of the bike capitals of the US. There are not that many bike paths in Seattle and the ones they do have are packed to the gills with bikers. And out in the suburbs, there are rails to trails conversions to bike paths that are packed with bikers and pedestrians. All types of people. The biggest issue with bike paths in Seattle is they are too crowded, and consequently, quite dangerous (take a spin on the Burke Gilman on a hot Saturday afternoon if you don't believe me). When you see a biker in Seattle on a road it is because there is no bike path option. Maybe things are different in AK (highly doubt it though), but no one living in Alaska has a basis in knowledge to complain how lower 48 cities deal with bikes.

Well perhaps you just skipped post #5 and post #18 itt? Or perhaps you're just too far up on your high horse to read as well as you should?

And your gross ex recto generalizations of both Seattleites and Alaskans, while copius and free-flowing, are indicative of an entitled digestive system, a judgemental little colon, and a diet rich in fantasy fiber. Please shut the fuck up with that stupid shit.

Name:  5247028.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  42.0 KB

In the meantime, why don't you use all that self-righteous pedantic energy to elucidate road bikers to the wisdom bike paths?

Most places, they aren't actually "bike paths" but multi use paths. A bicyclist on the up can usually operate well amongst most other users. On the down, they are typically more akin to a passenger vehicle than a pedestrian. On level ground, a recreationalist will probably be better off on the path, but a road cyclist will be more akin to passenger vehicles.

But anyway, this thread is full of hatred and bigotry in the weirdest ways. It's unfortunate.

I just biked in a bunch of different states as I drove from CO to NY and back. You can tell the places that don't often see cyclists on the road because the drivers, in general, have no idea how to pass safely.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

So how much of the 125 mile Seward Highway has a bike path next to it? Ever ride on that bike path? Wouldn't be surprised if it's cracked and buckled forcing cyclist to chose the smoother paved shoulder of the highway despite the added risks. Per google maps, the only bike paths on the Seward highway are a stretch north of Anchorage to just north of Eagle River, around Girdwood, and a stretch into Seward. Looks like Alaskans need to pony up and get some more bike paths built.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (81).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	429.6 KB 
ID:	381483

Name:	Screenshot (82).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	423.2 KB 
ID:	381484

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    But anyway, this thread is full of hatred and bigotry in the weirdest ways. It's unfortunate.

i think you are mistaken
    this is the thread where we get to see various entries from HA's word-of-the-day desk calendar & see if they make him look thoughtful

I'd love to see highangle get stuck in one of the Critical Mass protests in Seattle (Critical Mass is a monthly public bike rides through Seattle to demonstrate for bicyclists’ road rights). My friend was the biker who got hit by the car and drug on the ground. Here's his bike:

The group of at least 100 bicyclists was moving en masse down East Aloha Street when a man and his girlfriend in a Subaru station wagon tried to pull out of a parking spot. The riders commonly engage in what they call “corking,” in which several bikers block cars while the mass of riders passes. The Critical Mass group moved down the street blocking traffic, some riders got in the way of the Subaru and prevented it from leaving. Some bikers sat on the car and were banging on it The driver tried to back up but bumped into a cyclist. “This enraged the group,” and several of the cyclists bashed up the Subaru, shattering the windshield and rear window. The driver tried to drive away but hit another bicyclist. Still, he drove about a block, to Aloha and 15th Avenue East, before the Critical Mass riders cornered the car and started spitting on it and banging against it. One bicyclist punched the driver through his open window, and another used a knife to slash the Subaru’s tires. The driver got out of his car, was hit in the back of the head and suffered a large gash.
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...de-in-seattle/

* gets popcorn *

Corking may have a different meaning here on the internet. Is the idea to actually blow out one of his arteries?

The K st mall was dead when I moved to Sacramento in 1976 and it's still dead now, except when the Kings play (in an arena that replaced a failed indoor mall that failed to revived the K st mall. The problem is that the area is mostly in the downtown business district, which is rarely a hotbed of foot traffic except when people come and go to work or lunch. The area west of it--Midtown--is much busier with foot traffic, despite no areas closed to cars.

Not familiar with Sacremento as never got off the freeway there but sounds like it missed out on that urban renewal movement that hit pretty much every Western US city not named Phoenix and Las Vegas. If one strolled through downtown Tacoma one could be mistaken that its dead and not realize all those vacant lots are owned by Chinese billionaires with massive development plans, trains, buses, light rail, and bike paths connecting it to Seattle and the surrounding communities. Hipster paradise.

Not familiar with Sacremento as never got off the freeway there but sounds like it missed out on that urban renewal movement that hit pretty much every Western US city not named Phoenix and Las Vegas. If one strolled through downtown Tacoma one could be mistaken that its dead and not realize all those vacant lots are owned by Chinese billionaires with massive development plans, trains, buses, light rail, and bike paths connecting it to Seattle and the surrounding communities. Hipster paradise.
    Sacramento built a sunken freeway along the Sacramento River west of downtown that cut off what is now Old Sacramento--a tourist area. Bus 80 between Midtown and East Sacramento is raised so not too many houses were bulldozed and the two neighborhoods still connect well. US 99 and US 50 cut off the poorer part of town--Oak Park--and took a lot of real estate. But no mass bulldozing of neighborhoods in the name of "renewal--only in the name of the automobile.

I hate to mansplain here but automobiles make ppl money.
    States counties cities use your tax dollars to buy or otherwise secure RoW from other land owners to facilitate commerce. Commerce creates everything else, including nice things like paved bike paths and municipal golf links.

I hate to mansplain here but
    This whole forum is all about old dudes mansplaining to other old dudes, don't hate the game; hate the forum.

Or something like that.

I'd love to see highangle get stuck in one of the Critical Mass protests in Seattle (Critical Mass is a monthly public bike rides through Seattle to demonstrate for bicyclists’ road rights). My friend was the biker who got hit by the car and drug on the ground. Here's his bike:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...de-in-seattle/
    "What do you see Siri?"
    "I see dead people."
    "Yeah, me too."

Well perhaps you just skipped post #5 and post #18 itt? Or perhaps you're just too far up on your high horse to read as well as you should?

And your gross ex recto generalizations of both Seattleites and Alaskans, while copius and free-flowing, are indicative of an entitled digestive system, a judgemental little colon, and a diet rich in fantasy fiber. Please shut the fuck up with that stupid shit.

Name:  5247028.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  42.0 KB
    Okay, I laughed

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I hate to mansplain here but automobiles make ppl money.
    States counties cities use your tax dollars to buy or otherwise secure RoW from other land owners to facilitate commerce. Commerce creates everything else, including nice things like paved bike paths and municipal golf links.
    Shit dude, I paid more taxes on my bike purchases than 1000 billionaires paid last year.

So how much of the 125 mile Seward Highway has a bike path next to it? Ever ride on that bike path? Wouldn't be surprised if it's cracked and buckled forcing cyclist to chose the smoother paved shoulder of the highway despite the added risks. Per google maps, the only bike paths on the Seward highway are a stretch north of Anchorage to just north of Eagle River, around Girdwood, and a stretch into Seward. Looks like Alaskans need to pony up and get some more bike paths built.

Name:	Screenshot (81).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	429.6 KB 
ID:	381483

Name:	Screenshot (82).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	423.2 KB 
ID:	381484

You post a partial map showing 1200 miles of bike paths spread over a population the size of Stockton, and you sneer like Marie Antoinette. Trying to please you is like rolling a hot dog down a hotel hallway.