Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Shoulders may or may not be paved.

I thought you'd might enjoy some inspiration in this thread from the communist part of the road biking world.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210724_115405.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	380351
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    I thought you'd might enjoy some inspiration in this thread from the communist part of the road biking world.
    Yeah, bike path orgasm right there.

Here's what they're like in Portland:
    https://twitter.com/mikekatu/status/...146923527?s=21
    Last edited by dan_pdx; 07-24-2021 at 11:45 AM.

It's Not a Bike Accident When a Car Hits a Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    JFC, you're still on about that link and projection, as if it's some novel part of psychology no one ever knew existed until you discovered that link. You don't need to have studied in Vienna to know what it is, and that link didn't provide anything I hadn't heard/read about projection dozens or hundreds of times previously. Is projection something you just realized exists as part of human psychology?

To help you...from your link: attributing one’s own unacceptable urges to another
    If you somehow know what my urges are, which I am attributing to others, please enlighten me (hint: you already proved the opposite with respect to me, so don't waste time).

Really funny part is up above in the paragraph where you mention empathy you simply restated the point I made pages ago, but somehow you are so wrapped up in your own thoughts that you can't understand that. (And even being wrapped up in your own thoughts you are telling me what mine are--yes, in some respects you truly understand projection.)

Not sure I'm up for another round of your circular logic--sorry, amigo.

Not sure if you're being serious with the motorists stopping for red lights, but I'll say again that I almost never see a car blow through a red light as if it wasn't there, but I see this at least several hundred times a day with cyclists (when I'm walking around for more than 20 or 30 minutes, at least, and if there are cyclists around and I'm on the street for more than a couple minutes and don't see it that's exceptional). Most of them go through red lights, and that's just SOP for them. If I see a car do the same (except for cops, who will often roll slowly through red lights) on any given day or even week that's more than usual. Your second point is basically true.
    Your confirmation bias is showing. People blow through red lights in cars all the time. It’s usually at the change. Pay attention. People are assholes, motorists and cyclists. Again there’s way more motorists.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Your confirmation bias is showing. People blow through red lights in cars all the time. It’s usually at the change. Pay attention. People are assholes, motorists and cyclists. Again there’s way more motorists.]
    Shit, I watched some touron from 'Sota make a left turn, on red, across two lanes of traffic on Main St. last night. Worst I saw from a cyclist was one riding the wrong direction in.a bike lane.

Pretty sure it became common knowledge long before we dropped down out of the trees that assholes come in all shapes, colors and sizes, so the horse you guys are all beating on turned to dust and blew away millennia ago.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210724_115405.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	380351
    For more information email rad@radnetz.net

Separated bike lanes are not a total utopia. In Holland motorcycles can use them. And it's easy for a tourist in Amsterdam to be run down by a bicycle while watching out for the rare car on the street.
    Speaking of motorcycles--at what point do ebikes need to use the traffic lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Bunch of fucking misanthropes. (Bet many of you had to look that up.)

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Your confirmation bias is showing. People blow through red lights in cars all the time. It’s usually at the change. Pay attention. People are assholes, motorists and cyclists. Again there’s way more motorists.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah, sorry, you're wrong. You can say I'm suffering from confirmation bias or whatever, but it doesn't change the facts--and I'm not trying to find anything to prove a point one way or the other. Anyone who has spent even a day in Manhattan could confirm what I've told you, and it's just a joke to say drivers fly through red lights all the time. Cyclists here ride as if the lights don't apply to them (and effectively they don't).

Took a ride over from the Upper East to UWS today. Eight or nine minutes driving. 7 cyclists going through red lights (and zero cars, needless to say--didn't even see a driver try to squeeze a yellow and not make it). The only cyclist I saw who stopped at the light and didn't eventually go through it didn't really have the opportunity to run the light (traffic didn't let up until the end and then he waited--I actually think he wasn't paying attention and might have jumped that light at the end, but he didn't).

When I parked on Amsterdam I watched three cyclists riding the wrong way (downtown on an uptown street). I was parked for probably five minutes. When I got back across town there was a dude on a bike with fat tires riding the wrong way down the literally the middle of Third Avenue.

Normally the numbers woulda been much higher but the city is empty today (very few cars/bikes). Can't help it if you don't want to accept the reality, but it doesn't make sense for you to deny it.
    [quote][//quote]

BTW, this is almost as ridiculous as disbelieving the crazy notion that nearly all pedestrians here cross against the light when they are able to. I mean, if I told you that the vast majority of pedestrians don't wait for the light would you also reject that as untrue? People on bikes wait for the light only slightly more often than pedestrians. You can believe otherwise but you won't be right.
    [quote][//quote]

Go to 1:20 for video evidence if you don't believe me. Their figure is 80% of cyclists here go through red lights. I think it might be higher--maybe it's gotten worse in the past seven years. You're flat out wrong.

[quote][//quote]

Why are we using NYC as the standard to judge normal human behavior?

I don't blow red lights on a bike, but unless I have to hit the brakes to stop for a cyclist who does it doesn't bother me. IME the great majority of the time when a cyclist does that they have figured out they can get across safely. The percentage of cars that blow red lights is very small but the consequences for others are huge. The number who do it is high enough that I take a peek left and right before I start when the light turns green. Given the potential consequences of each it is ridiculous to compare bikes running reds with cars running reds. The main reason drivers get pissed at riders who do it is being butthurt that someone is getting away with something.

Yeah. I was gonna say. It's NYC. Manhattan FCS.. Central Park even. Faggeddaboutit. No one in NYC cares until someone gets hit and then they'll just step over the body to catch a cab.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    BTW, this is almost as ridiculous as disbelieving the crazy notion that nearly all pedestrians here cross against the light when they are able to. I mean, if I told you that the vast majority of pedestrians don't wait for the light would you also reject that as untrue? People on bikes wait for the light only slightly more often than pedestrians. You can believe otherwise but you won't be right.
    True in NYC, but not a lot of other cities. When I lived in Seattle, the culture was very much to wait for the walk sign regardless of where vehicles were.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post

Holy shit! I haven’t ridden up there since last summer. There were campers on NE 33rd back then, but not Marine Dr. What a mess!

So, Central Park on a weekend is the measure here? Really?
    Not to mention Fox, Dex?

Cuz cars are blocked on weekends, no? So, those red lights illustrated are fallacious indicators and no one watches them when there are no cars, trucks or buses…not pedestrians nor cyclists

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Why are we using NYC as the standard to judge normal human behavior?
    Well, Dooshbag Dan the Portland road bike Man just scattered broken glass and homeless camps and raggedy-ass Ranchero-loads of spike strips on my pristine Kenai Peninsula bike paths to give some knucklehead child-abusing skinny-wheeled road bikers a pass for crowding a narrow road bridge full of rental RVs, and because he doesn't like bike path stop signs and other safety measures fucking with his ride through the big city that provides his livelihood.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Well, Dooshbag Dan the Portland road bike Man just scattered broken glass and homeless camps and raggedy-ass Ranchero-loads of spike strips on my pristine Kenai Peninsula bike paths to give some knucklehead child-abusing skinny-wheeled road bikers a pass for crowding a narrow road bridge full of rental RVs, and because he doesn't like bike path stop signs and other safety measures fucking with his ride through the big city that provides his livelihood.
    I am struggling to understand this post

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    90% of road bikers near me deserve to get hit. Fuck them and their entitled clueless attitude. Yeh, riding on a mountain pass road with no shoulder during commute time taking up the middle of the lane or 2-3 abreast on blind corners. Go fuck yourself and die.
    that’s a hot take
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I am struggling to understand this post
    It may take years.

The car ppl who want to run over cyclists also get bent out of shape when a logging truck vaporizes somebody in a car.

I thought might made right though? Bigger just gets to mow down smaller right?

Oh not if it’s you, though, getting nuked by a dumptruck in your teensy little car…that logic stops at exactly whatever level makes you the apex predator…gotcha!

been hit twice. one double flip over the roof of the car, one near t bone. fun times

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    It may take years.
    You're like sfb in angry. I like your take no prisoners approach.

Team up with maker's telemark at the next burning man and take your anger out on some ketamin freak who wants to invade your camp.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.