Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Mongo fix for coach. Horse bad. Mongo man, Mongo no cry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58127366

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

I think wild horse racing should be an Olympic event. That will raise the already high brows of the hunter jumper types a bit more.

I give up. 10 min of googling won't show me her run, let alone the coach's punch.

Anyone have a link to either??

The IOC should really provide online replays of entire events, FWT style. Wouldn't that be something??

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I give up. 10 min of googling won't show me her run, let alone the coach's punch.

The IOC should really provide online replays of entire events, FWT style. Wouldn't that be something??
    Read the post above about Snoop kind of breaking through. The IOC and media outlets have a team of legal help shutting down even little clips on any sort of social media. Really stupid, arrogant, and so twentieth century. But, that's the IOC.

Reminds me of the rise of digital music and how the Beatles and Zeppelin approached that from different directions. Zep won, by allowing file sharing, while McCartney and Yoko Ono kept a tight grip on the Beatles catalogs. FF to today, and a lot of kids are like, Beatles who?, but many are still listening to Black Dog.

Wasn't looking for social media. Hoping NBC or some news outlet maybe. Still nothing. IOC should just release videos on their own platform.

I would definitely pay $20 for a subscription to each Olympics to have unedited feeds of all events. They could likely make more that way than just the TV deals.

Time to get with the times.

WTF

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    because without jingoism, what are sports even for?
    Without jingoism who would watch the Olympics? Rooting for the US is no different than cheering for your home baseball or football team--you don't know anybody on the team, they have no connection to you, they don't know you from Adam, but you root for them because that's what people do. Yeah, there are people who are into particular sports and knew the athletes including those from other countries before the Games, but that's not most people.

Nationalism in sports isn't exactly new. The ancient Olympics pitted the city-states against each other. So root root root for the home team and don't feel guilty about it.

Then there are the people who root for the athlete whose mother or father died most recently. Bonus points for dying during the Olympics and the athlete performs anyway--for Gramma. I grew up in the fifties, when athletes didn't have families--at least none that were acknowledged, and two women hugging for 5 minutes between each point would have gotten them arrested.

I've given up trying to figure out which DVR'd events I've already seen. I've given up giving a fuck I think.

FF to today, and a lot of kids are like, Beatles who?, but many are still listening to Black Dog.
    I would guess the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Without jingoism who would watch the Olympics?
    Or think it's OK to root for incredibly rich and successful pro NBA players like Kevin Durant because, I guess, USA USA?

American Jingo apparel brand?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I dunno man; I have friends in Italy and they were totally stoked. Was fun to have an alternate team/country to root for.

It was cool to see Japanese runners taking the lead for a few laps in the long races knowing they really couldn’t win. They just had to show out.

What’s your alternate team/country to root for? Why?

Just watched recordings of the men's and women's 4x400. Jingoistically pleased with how the races turned out, but it was also kind of refreshing to see how delighted the silver medalists were in each race.

That's the last event I care to watch in these Olympics. How do you guys think the Beijing Winter Olympics are going to go? (that's a pretty weird sentence) Think there will be boycotts?

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    I dunno man; I have friends in Italy and they were totally stoked. Was fun to have an alternate team/country to root for.

It was cool to see Japanese runners taking the lead for a few laps in the long races knowing they really couldn’t win. They just had to show out.

Like you said (sort of),it's cool to see great athletic performances; I don't care where the victor is from, I just am amazed by how fast someone can run compared to all the other elite runners, or how far they can throw something; their flag-waving is meaningful to their friends at home. And like Goat says, if you know the athletes, country doesn't matter, as in the climbing comp: it was great to see Noguchi medal because she's cool, nd retiring; it was great to see how well the Americans did, but no greater than seeing how well the Slovenians did.

Sure, there's a history of games representing countries, and even arguments that war could be replaced by athletic endeavors . . . just as there are arguments that competition creates wars, just as borders (and consequently flags to wave) create wars. The questions are academic and too complex even for TGR, I'm sure, but there are stories for all the competitors, even those laughably trailing the field: they worked their asses off to get there and did their best, representing themselves and those who made it possible to dedicate that much of their life to something with so little tangible meaning.

Competing even when you know you can't possibly win is heroic, no matter if you're an Ethiopian fighting a tank with a spear or some little Biff or Muffy in a Kindergarten race.

Jingoism is ugly, just like fans who paint their faces and throw fetuses on the ice at hockey games, but maybe I'm easily offended. I don't think much of all the gesticulating to God and the flashing of crucifixes by athletes, either, so perhaps I'm just a curmudgeon who nonetheless likes to see people trying really hard to do something even if they fail.

With all that being said, I think the Dutch women are hot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1008x567.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	381716

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I think wild horse racing should be an Olympic event. That will raise the already high brows of the hunter jumper types a bit more.
    KQ will cut you

Or think it's OK to root for incredibly rich and successful pro NBA players like Kevin Durant because, I guess, USA USA?
    You're jealous again. You really need to learn to accept your lot in life.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post

Our closest friends are in Germany, but somehow I can't make myself root for the Germans.

Jingoism is ugly, just like fans who paint their faces and throw fetuses on the ice at hockey games, but maybe I'm easily offended. I don't think much of all the gesticulating to God and the flashing of crucifixes by athletes, either, so perhaps I'm just a curmudgeon who nonetheless likes to see people trying really hard to do something even if they fail.
    How do you feel about octopi?

I was watching the modern pentathlon for a bit the other night

Apparently they don’t let the athletes bring their own horses

The German woman who had been doing well prior to the horse jumping was in tears as the horse she got refused jump after jump, just ruining her medal chances

It made me wonder how many times that’s happened over the life of that sport

And what the justification is for providing horses when horse/rider team is kind of a big deal to performing well

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    KQ will cut you
    That's the spirit, liven this thing up! Cutting humans on horseback. Maybe give all those "modern" pentathletes another bite at the apple.

ETA: The horse thing in modern pentathlon is that each event is supposed to represent a vital skill of the "modern" soldier, and one of those is the ability to ride an unknown horse. The randomness of bad horses kind of sucks, but the skill is supposed to be getting to know that horse quickly etc.

I have a friend that worked on that sport for a long time and I don't get the attraction apart from the above mentioned dedication to a fairly useless activity in the pursuit of excellence. Kind of the story of the Olympics, really. I would have been stoked for him if he'd made it, like any other super difficult goal.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post

Nothingburger but it was seen around the world so punish they must.

German Coach Disqualified After Hitting Horse At Tokyo Olympics

The reason for switching horses is to prove their prowess as an equestrian. Poor animal was not happy for whatever reason. They should have ended it before they did because it was obvious early on he was not going to pull it together for a rider he didn't know that wasn't listening to him.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    KQ will cut you
    LOL! All they need to do is make Bronc riding an Olympic sport.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I was watching the modern pentathlon for a bit the other night

Apparently they don’t let the athletes bring their own horses

The German woman who had been doing well prior to the horse jumping was in tears as the horse she got refused jump after jump, just ruining her medal chances

It made me wonder how many times that’s happened over the life of that sport

And what the justification is for providing horses when horse/rider team is kind of a big deal to performing well
    Baron De Coubertin the founder of the modern Olympics was a cavalry officer and wanted a sport that would encourage the skills needed to be a good cavalry scout/messenger. The theory was you have a message to deliver you must swim a river, run cross country, fence and/or shoot your enemy and steal his horse. The horses are all required to be able to complete the course before being entered in the draw (there have been instances of horses completing the course after their riders have fallen off because they have been around the course so many times) I'm guessing from the uproar on the equestrian pages this AM the show jumping was not a pretty sight. Honestly I wouldn't surprised if MP changed to some form of Xc mountain bike in the future.
    Yes I was a modern pentathlete at one point.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Baron De Coubertin the founder of the modern Olympics was a cavalry officer and wanted a sport that would encourage the skills needed to be a good cavalry scout/messenger. The theory was you have a message to deliver you must swim a river, run cross country, fence and/or shoot your enemy and steal his horse. The horses are all required to be able to complete the course before being entered in the draw (there have been instances of horses completing the course after their riders have fallen off because they have been around the course so many times) I'm guessing from the uproar on the equestrian pages this AM the show jumping was not a pretty sight. Honestly I wouldn't surprised if MP changed to some form of Xc mountain bike in the future.
    Yes I was a modern pentathlete at one point.
    The best cavalry ever were the Comanche, pre-Colt, of course . . . those Genghis Khan might want to argue the point.

https://scgwynne.com/product/empire-of-the-summer-moon

The best cavalry ever were the Comanche, pre-Colt, of course . . . those Genghis Khan might want to argue the point.

except for the winged Hussars you could be right...according to Sabaton anyways
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

There's a joke about Appaloosas being stubborn horses that goes like this:

Why were the Nez Perce such fierce fighters?
    Because they rode Appaloosas so by they time they got to battle they were so pissed off they fought like hell.

The Nez Perce developed the Appaloosa horse

This is my Appy boy looking grumpy

Name:	Sonny.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	381739
    Last edited by KQ; 08-07-2021 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    There's a joke about Appaloosas being stubborn horses that goes like this:

Why were the Nez Perce such fierce fighters?
    Because they road Appaloosas so by they time they got to battle they were so pissed off they fought like hell.

The Nez Perce developed the Appaloosa horse

This is my Appy boy looking grumpy

Name:	Sonny.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	381739
    Ha, that's what my brother says about arabians.
    fire

rails are for trains

www.theguideshut.ca