Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Which "free" countries?
    Lukashenko has been the "President" of Belarus since the office was established.

In 1994.

27 years as "president".

Call the office whatever you want, to me that's a Dictator.

Hopefully the young sprinter gets her asylum, and someone is able to help her family.. as I imagine things will not be easy for them after this.

Just a couple days ago he threatened that he thought he could handle his own people's protests, but.. "if it is not enough, all Russian armed forces will be brought in".

https://apnews.com/article/europe-ru...afa1c9aaa99242

Scary stuff.

and doesn't ever fucking fly over Belarus

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Katie Ledecky on retiring from swimming. (She's 24)
    https://www.insider.com/katie-ledeck...is-2024-2021-7
    As we've established elsewhere/when, you're over the hill and in decline after 30.

But don't ever, ever dial it back.

Too bad there couldn't be a crowd for this USA Japan baseball game. I'm sure it would have been nuts.

There are maybe a handful of swimmers that can throw down past their mid 20's so it isn't an unreasonable question in most situations.

Feels like she will focus on the 800 & 1500 though. Maybe some relays otherwise.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    There are maybe a handful of swimmers that can throw down past their mid 20's so it isn't an unreasonable question in most situations.

Feels like she will focus on the 800 & 1500 though. Maybe some relays otherwise.
    Certainly more and more all the time as professional opportunities have expanded, though. The International Swimming League has been a huge boon to pro swimming and, of course the international swimming governing body (FINA), fought it every step of the way.

Man what a shitty way to get knocked out of the tournament for the US soccer girls. On a ticky-tack foul (I thought they were gonna call the foul on the CANADIAN girl, when they said PK I was like WHAT!?!) but I guess they didn't really play all that well as a whole in this Olympics. They got crushed by Sweden (while failing to score a goal), routed New Zealand, failed to score AGAIN while tying Australia, tied the Dutch (but won on Penalty kicks) and lost to Canada while yet again failing to score a goal. In reality thats 1-2-2. And (outside of that NZ game) they never really looked that good on the field.

End of an era for US women's soccer dominance??

Sucked watching the US women lose to Canada, and then straight after, watching the US men's baseball team lose to Japan in extra innings

I kinda like the US getting humbled.

Anybody see the BIG girl weight lifting competition? Holy crap the Chinese girl clean & jerked almost 400lbs! and made it look easy. The first openly trans female athlete ever to compete in the Olympics - bombed out in the snatch portion of the event. USA took bronze

I really don't get the judging in weightlifting though. If you get that damn weight over your head and hold it there, it should count. Period

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Certainly more and more all the time as professional opportunities have expanded, though. The International Swimming League has been a huge boon to pro swimming and, of course the international swimming governing body (FINA), fought it every step of the way.
    I agree its made a difference but I know a couple girls on the ISL and its not exactly fuck you money.

I do find it really interesting how genetically you are just naturally predisposed to swimming faster at a really young age. Unlike most other sports where you hit your peak at like 26-28 by the time you are that old in swimming you are way past your prime and only medaling if you are one of the all time greats.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I agree its made a difference but I know a couple girls on the ISL and its not exactly fuck you money.

I do find it really interesting how genetically you are just naturally predisposed to swimming faster at a really young age. Unlike most other sports where you hit your peak at like 26-28 by the time you are that old in swimming you are way past your prime and only medaling if you are one of the all time greats.
    I'm not so sure that's really the case, though. I think it's more just a case of opportunities. As you say, even with the ISL it's not exactly fuck you money, so most swimmers realize in their mid 20s that they need to get on with their non-swimming life.

Brent Hayden at 37 swam under 48 seconds in the 100 free and under 22 seconds in the 50 free after having stepped away from swimming for years.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Lol, foil and saber have right of way. I could never keep track of attacks, counter attacks blah blah blah during each point. Epee “mimics a real life duel” and does not right of way plus the whole body is a target. I really enjoyed epee.
    Ok, so you seem to know what's up. I used to fence epee (modern pentathlon really) when did sabre become electric? Also is the yelling/screaming after a touch a hold over from pre electric days as the lights indicate a scoring touch no?

edited to add this about countries being dicks:
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...javad-foroughi

Iran executed one of their wrestlers for attending a protest
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Isn't a big part of swimming success based on miles swam (swum?). Harder to sustain when you have to earn a living, maybe marriage and family. True for all sports of course, but hours spent training seems to be particularly important in swimming and many professional sports--track for example--pay much much more. Very few swimming professionals make a living wage.

It used to be just straight yardage. That guy Brent AD speaks about above was pretty revolutionary training wise where he just goes full race pace for an hour at lunch and calls it good.

I tend to think the race pace workouts still require those hours in the pool as a kid building the muscle memory, technique, etc, so its really a combo of both. But I am neither a coach nor an Olympian.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Isn't a big part of swimming success based on miles swam (swum?). Harder to sustain when you have to earn a living, maybe marriage and family. True for all sports of course, but hours spent training seems to be particularly important in swimming and many professional sports--track for example--pay much much more. Very few swimming professionals make a living wage.
    Not so much anymore, and particularly if you specialize in events 100 meters and shorter. But, yes, I've never heard of a top swimmer who wasn't swimming as more or less a full-time job. They're all putting in lots of hours at the pool, in the weight room, yoga studio, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Man what a shitty way to get knocked out of the tournament for the US soccer girls. On a ticky-tack foul (I thought they were gonna call the foul on the CANADIAN girl, when they said PK I was like WHAT!?!) but I guess they didn't really play all that well as a whole in this Olympics. They got crushed by Sweden (while failing to score a goal), routed New Zealand, failed to score AGAIN while tying Australia, tied the Dutch (but won on Penalty kicks) and lost to Canada while yet again failing to score a goal. In reality thats 1-2-2. And (outside of that NZ game) they never really looked that good on the field.

End of an era for US women's soccer dominance??

Sucked watching the US women lose to Canada, and then straight after, watching the US men's baseball team lose to Japan in extra innings
    Agree. I thought the same exact thing on the foul.

I do disagree (a bit) about them not playing that well. Remember, qualifying for the Olympics is a huge deal since so few teams get in, and then they knew how to play in the knockout round, and can finish this tournament no worse than fourth, and will probably still be ranked #1 in the world when this is done.

No team has ever won the World Cup and then the Olympics back to back.

I think this is a classic case of they don’t rebuild, they reload.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Excited for women's 400m Hurdles final tomorrow evening, there's a good chance for a USA 1-2-3. Sydney and Delillah will be racing for the gold but I really want to see Anna Cockrell up on the podium too.

But, yes, I've never heard of a top swimmer who wasn't swimming as more or less a full-time job. They're all putting in lots of hours at the pool, in the weight room, yoga studio, etc.
    But that goes for pretty much any sport, no? Are there still olympic level athletes that aren't more or less dedicating their life to training?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    a bunch of anti social chads livin in the p's basement arent just lame gamers
    theyre dedicating their lives to training
    more
    or fuckin less
    esportswtf
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    But that goes for pretty much any sport, no? Are there still olympic level athletes that aren't more or less dedicating their life to training?
    You mean, other than Elizabeth Swaney?

Highly doubt you can make a living shot putting. Or fencing. Or racing a kayak. Or many many more olympic sports

I recall the commentators saying about one of the handball guys "he's a prison guard in his full-time life"

Highly doubt you can make a living shot putting. Or fencing. Or racing a kayak. Or many many more olympic sports

I recall the commentators saying about one of the handball guys "he's a prison guard in his full-time life"
    I guess it just depends on the availability of sponsorship dollars. I certainly know of sponsored kayakers that don't really work. But yeah, maybe it's harder to scrape by as a professional shot putter.

Correct, and I think most athletes' continuation in the sport beyond their mid 20s is probably predicated on having the resources to continue. If you're in the NBA, MLB, etc. it's easy to keep going (assuming you've got the talent and don't get hurt). If you have to continue living like a college student you're probably much more likely to hang it up before your athletic ability is actually in decline.

Correct, and I think most athletes' continuation in the sport beyond their mid 20s is probably predicated on having the resources to continue. If you're in the NBA, MLB, etc. it's easy to keep going (assuming you've got the talent and don't get hurt). If you have to continue living like a college student you're probably much more likely to hang it up before your athletic ability is actually in decline.
    Yeah, it's certainly not an easy lifestyle to maintain. For financial reasons, but plenty of other reasons too.

Which is why in sports where you can't earn a living or be otherwise be supported many athletes will age out before biology would dictate.

Pro track does reasonably well, mostly in Europe. Does this apply to the field events as well?
    Pro volleyball and water polo do well in Europe.
    I don't know about kayaking and fencing. Seems like pro fencing could be a huge draw if they changed the rules and the gear a little.