Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Just watching some qualifying for the Women’s Kieran race, ebike dierny, is cool and the fact that the final 3 laps are averaging over 40mph is insane!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Just watching some qualifying for the Women’s Kieran race, ebike dierny, is cool and the fact that the final 3 laps are averaging over 40mph is insane!
    Agree, good stuff. USA channel

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    There's a guy I know through masters swimming who tried to make it to Tokyo representing Guinea-Bissau at age 50. Got as far as traveling to Japan, but wasn't able to swim. I suspect he'll swim in Paris unless they change the rules to bar him from doing so: https://swimswam.com/court-of-arbitr...race-in-tokyo/

He's a fast 50 year old, but he's a 50 year old. He'll finish dead last in any event he enters unless there's someone else who gets in via the same method.
    Before they started requiring qualifying times there was an African swimmer who didn't finish--ie couldn't make it to the end of the pool and had to be rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    at least in ski racing there have been Olympic competitors who could never qualify for a WC race representing some country where they don't even have snow

In a WC you got all the best skiers in the world no matter what country but at the olympics where it is harder to win a medal than at a WC mostly cuz its only every 4 yr you only got what 3 representing a skiing power and then you got yer "eddy the eagle's "
    I remember watching a Lebanese woman do multiple snowplow turns between the gates in an Olympic DH.

There have been a few events where they mentioned that a competitor wasn't on their national team but had qualified on their own. What's with that? I'm not talking about the refugee athletes. One I saw--gymnastics I think--was from China. And maybe one from the US in gymnastics but it went by quickly while I wasn't paying attention.

the more interesting part might be the crowd scene in the village, the partying euro's ringing great big cow bells, they know whats about ... the party
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Holy Shit the men’s pursuit race! Top Ganna!
    crab in my shoe mouth

don't forget about this bitch.
    swing your fucking sword.

Holy Shit the men’s pursuit race! Top Ganna!
    a great race!

Tokyo Olympic Survive COVID Games 2021

I still have chills, that was incredible!
    Great call Christian Vande Velde!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Lazy Ass Joe Fucking Useless Critic. Look it up and tell us then. Good God - do some work instead of guessing.
    I *did* look ya fucking dick. The only thing I could find was all kinds of articles about WHY athletes from the US compete for another country or HOW they do it. Couldn't find any hard numbers on HOW MANY there are.

Now I’m watching women’s Field Hockey, game is so fast these day’s. Really athletic to run that fast and stick handle at the same time. Good stuff
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Before they started requiring qualifying times there was an African swimmer who didn't finish--ie couldn't make it to the end of the pool and had to be rescued.
    I believe you're thinking of Eric the Eel. He did finish, but it was pretty ugly. Interestingly he continued to train after that and made it back to the Olympics. He was waaay better the second time, but obviously way back from the actual elite athletes.

I'm eating breakfast SO an olympic breakfast flashback

come in for breakfast every morning there would be 600 cops n course workers for breakfast in big tent with 2 huge jumbo trons on either side ( more TV's ) cops from every town in Canada watching womens curling on one side and the skiers from all over Canada were watching skiing on the other side

they had a BIG construction heater piping heat into the tent so it was about 100 degrees in there which was really hard on all the menopausal women volenteers

SO buddy Tom the construction guy showed me where the on/off switch was on the heater, we didn't wana be acused of terrorism tampering with the facility temporarily feeding every cop in Whistler 300 cops but it was no problem, hit the switch/ heater goes into cooldown cycle/ walk back inside and shuts down just as you sit in your seat .

that olympic food would really plug you up after 3 weeks but thats a different problem

Women’s Handball is on right now, looks like a fun game.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Women’s Handball is on right now, looks like a fun game.
    I remember playing this in middle school gym class. It was a ton of fun. I liked it WAYYY better than basketball. But since it is somewhat similar to basketball, I don't think it really caught on here.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Ironically Basketball that Canadian game became way more popular

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    I remember playing this in middle school gym class.
    Same here, jr high, super fun game to play.

Anybody watching the super heavies lifting finals right now? These are some big boys lifting some HUDGE weights

Whats odd to me is, the lighter weight guys are fucking jacked, these heavyweight guys look like fat slobs but are picking up stupid weight (this final guy just SNATCHED almost 500 pounds!! can't wait to see the C & J)

edit: the Georgian gold medal winner has the biggest gut I've ever seen. and lifted more weight than anyone has ever lifted in Olympic history
    Last edited by Diamond Joe; 08-04-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Ironically Basketball that Canadian game became way more popular
    Pretty commonly known that basketball was invented in Springfield Massachusetts dude

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Pretty commonly known that basketball was invented in Springfield Massachusetts dude
    James Naismith was Canadian, though. He was a phys ed teacher at McGill before moving to Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    James Naismith was Canadian, though. He was a phys ed teacher at McGill before moving to Springfield.
    ...and so were 5 of his students who played the first game, but - it was invented and first played in the USA (the only major sport invented in the USA), ergo, its an American game.

Richard Torrez Jr - looking good through one round of semi final boxing super heavies! lets GO Torrez!! OHHHH BIG left hook for Torrez to close out the 2nd. US Boxing captain looking good through 2.

edit: ANOTHER big left opens up a nasty gash that ends the fight in the 3rd! Going on to the Gold medal match! Cannot wait for that fight. Riddick Bowe was the last Super Heavy American to medal - 7 Olympics ago - and Torrez has at least matched that silver. And 1984 was the last time an American super HW won Gold. Richard Torrez looking really good to end that gold drought after ending the medal drought.
    Last edited by Diamond Joe; 08-04-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post

don't forget about this bitch.
    Ozzie man does a better play by play

she starts at 1:52
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

I *did* look ya fucking dick. The only thing I could find was all kinds of articles about WHY athletes from the US compete for another country or HOW they do it. Couldn't find any hard numbers on HOW MANY there are.
    Some people care enough to quantify the opposite, and did so more than once.

Maybe the lack of info on the point you asked about tells us something.

Or maybe someone with more time can research it for the collective.

Why not share some of the articles about how and why people do it?

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    With the multiple world record beating and new PRs by 4-5 of 8 runners in the final races, I too am wondering if there is something about the track that is helping...like maybe its short (jk)...? Especially given the heat...usually performance suffers in these conditions.
    Did you start the thread on Letsrun???

The track is not short [the same thing gets said about Monaco, Reiti, etc because of fast times], but it sounds like the layering design provides more energy return than most tracks (even fancy Mondo ones) in the world:

The Telegraph wrote:
    "In the lower layer of the track is this hexagonal design that creates these small pockets of air. They not only provide shock absorption but give some energy return; at the same time a trampoline effect. We have improved this combination and this is why we are seeing the track has improved performance.,,,
    To protect the health of the athletes, to avoid trauma, but it should also give them a push. In lab testing we can see the improvement. It is difficult to say exactly but maybe a 1-2% advantage."
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ll-at-olympics

Ultimately the Olympics produce historically fast times and the last two years have given athletes a potentially-beneficial training period to optimize or reoptimize for a delayed games. We've seen very fast marks from distance runners for the past ~9mo and were starting to see big marks for sprints hurdles this summer. The other reality is that the carbon plate shoe technology is nearing 2 years on the pro circuit and I would assume that some fancy last minute prototypes have been given to athletes, for Tokyo, assisting the time drops like the track surface. Everything is culminating for athletes to be abnormally primed for competition, compared to the flow of a normal year/season.

I'm not that surprised with the incredible time performances, though Warholm's sub-46 WR is still mindboggling. The match ups for 400m hurdles has created the ideal environment for huge improvement, especially when Warholm and Benjamin haven't raced much leading up to Tokyo. Similar for women - just needed the big stage to show their best ability. We'll see what stacks up for Women's 1500m, Men's 5000m and remaining races. Mu was incredible, as expected in the Women's 800m. Men's 800m was a dud and Murphy fizzled like Coburn in the women's steeple.

Massive props to Courtney Frerichs for delivering, when it counted, again, in the women's steeplechase. I've been a huge Coburn fan since day 1, but I'm continually impressed by Frerichs performances outside the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Some people care enough to quantify the opposite, and did so more than once.

Maybe the lack of info on the point you asked about tells us something.

Or maybe someone with more time can research it for the collective.

Why not share some of the articles about how and why people do it?
    Here ya go dude
    https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/spor...mpics/3193090/
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...oversy-n850811
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/07/...hip-americans/

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    qualified on their own. What's with that? I'm not talking about the refugee athletes. One I saw--gymnastics I think--was from China. And maybe one from the US in gymnastics but it went by quickly while I wasn't paying attention.
    Jade Carey, Gold medal, floor exercise basically qualified “on her own”.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

by James Naismith a Canadian PE teacher in springfield mass, yer welcome eh

all the canadians had to watch these and the CBC vignettes on the peoples TV when we were growing up

which depending on your perspective is why we are so fucked up

OR not as fucked up as you all
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-04-2021 at 09:01 PM.