Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Some cool stories. You think this is a thing; a good thing; or a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    "Opening snatch" did not deliver what I was expecting...
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

My wife was watching the the artistic swimming and they said that one of the Americans had passed out from holding her breath too long in the prelims.
    My wife was a college gymnast, then a coach and judge. She told me the first thing they learn is how to fall. Watching high bar yesterday a Japanese man fell off the bar twice and a Dutch guy once. All 3 falls showed what she was talking about--they absorbed the impact perfectly. The Dutch guy even managed a full roll back onto his feet.

NBC sure does think we want to watch volleyball for some reason.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed canoe slalom

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Some cool stories. You think this is a thing; a good thing; or a bad thing?
    I don't "think" its a thing, it IS a thing. IDK if its good or bad, but it is a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    And yet, in the super cool climbing finals, they showed only two heats of the speed competition, only ONE of each bouldering problem, and just ONE climber on the "lead" wall

I'll take volleyball over golf any day. I watched a few karate matches yesterday (thanks CBC!), and it became clear to me that I have no fucking idea what that sport is all about. Not a single cinderblock was broken, if you can believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    And yet, in the super cool climbing finals, they showed two heats of the speed competition, one of each bouldering problem, and ONE climber on the "lead" wall
    That sucks. But somehow they find time during prime time to show synchronized swimming.

Yeah karate was pretty ghey

The event I saw yesterday wasn't even, like, fighting. It was just one person at a time, throwing different... poses? Pretty stupid

edit: the "kumite" was almost as lame as whatever the posing thing was.. the two dudes jumping up and down in place with their hands at their waists... and once or twice, an "engagement" with a kick or two or maybe a punch. So lame. Bring muay Thai into the Olympics!
    Last edited by Diamond Joe; 08-05-2021 at 12:59 PM.

I liked watching the K2 the other day, can't remember the distance. The second place boat flipped a couple of feet from the finish line and never made it across. Lousy way to lose a silver medal.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I'll take volleyball over golf any day. I watched a few karate matches yesterday (thanks CBC!), and it became clear to me that I have no fucking idea what that sport is all about. Not a single cinderblock was broken, if you can believe that.
    When's the part of the competition where about five thugs surround the karate guy and he takes them out one by one?

I think synchronized swimming (or as they call it now "artistic swimming") is a strange sport, but it's oddly entertaining. Those girls do some crazy shit.

BTW, I'd like to see takraw in the Olympics. Maybe they can make some more time by getting rid of doubles diving.

I don't get track cycling whatsoever. The racers are paced for half of the "race" by an e bike and its only the second half of the race that they actually race?? Why not just make the race 3 laps? How do they decide who gets to be at the front of the pack and who's at the back??

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    BTW, I'd like to see takraw in the Olympics.
    Absolutely. I picked up a traditional woven ball when I was in Malaysia. The predecessor of the game dates to the 15th century, maybe even earlier. One of the oldest games on earth.

Boxing & weightlifting are probably my two favorite summer Olympic sports to watch. This year has been particularly exciting for boxing, as its the strongest team the USA has fielded in maybe three decades.

Congrats to Duke Reagan, who "won" silver today in a very entertaining fight. Actually most of the fights have been entertaining; so glad Olympic boxing did away with that stupid point system and went to the normal 10 point Must system.

David Taylor with a HUDGE upset win in mens 86 kilos wrestling for the Gold!! Wow. Down 1 with 15 seconds left, the "magic man" comes up with a double leg, 2 point takedown. Crazy finish

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I don't get track cycling whatsoever. The racers are paced for half of the "race" by an e bike and its only the second half of the race that they actually race?? Why not just make the race 3 laps? How do they decide who gets to be at the front of the pack and who's at the back??
    The problem with short track races is that no one wants to go to the front and pull to get up to speed - they're doing a bunch of extra work without time to recover before the sprint. So you have races like match sprint where the riders are wiggling around at 2mph or doing track stands trying to get the other guy (or gal) to go first. With the keirin, they pace everyone up to speed first, and then just cut them loose for the sprint. It's like a TdF sprint if everyone was sitting on the same leadout train (and not allowed to make a move until the last leadout rider pulled off).

Order behind the ebike is decided in advance at random. Once the ebike pulls off they can sort into whatever order they want.

OMG if anybody is watching the US men's hoops team pull away from Australia - put it on NBC sports RIGHT NOW

Track & FIeld 50km "speed walking" event. Absolutely fucking hilarious. SPEED WALKING. Let that sink in for a second before you flip over to it.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Order behind the ebike is decided in advance at random. Once the ebike pulls off they can sort into whatever order they want.
    Ah, thank you. Did not catch that part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    The problem with short track races is that no one wants to go to the front and pull to get up to speed - they're doing a bunch of extra work without time to recover before the sprint. So you have races like match sprint where the riders are wiggling around at 2mph or doing track stands trying to get the other guy (or gal) to go first. With the keirin, they pace everyone up to speed first, and then just cut them loose for the sprint. It's like a TdF sprint if everyone was sitting on the same leadout train (and not allowed to make a move until the last leadout rider pulled off).
    I always wondered if, without the keirin, someone ever just tried completely sprinting their ass off right from the start to throw the other rider off.

Definitely looking forward to the France v. US rematch in men’s BB.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Race walking is on now……intense…lol

I think synchronized swimming (or as they call it now "artistic swimming") is a strange sport, but it's oddly entertaining. Those girls do some crazy shit.
    Yeah, no argument it's hard as shit. Not dissing their athletic abilities, the sport is just goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Race walking is on now……intense…lol
    Olympic Sashaying. Who knew.

It’s like elite prancercise.