Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Someone explain water polo to me....yeah the coverage is that bad this year that I am strangely watching this sport...

Seems they call fouls and penalties easily on outside defenders....but the poor person zoned in the middle in front of the net is constantly mobbed, dunked, held, and pushed around and it takes a miracle to get a call?

Is this the equivalent of an NBA guard getting a touch foul while the centers are allowed to wrestle to the ground before a call?

What gives? Never watched or played the sport.

Think of it like football, or yes, your NBA analogy. Linemen hold every play but you breathe on a wideout and they are throwing flags.
    Live Free or Die

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by mtuhockey33 View Post
    Bolt... Humility...
    Seriously? The guy who (although he could have fallen and still won at that point) was celebrating victory two strides short of his first 100m gold? Bolt isn't humble because he's fucking exceptional, and his brashness helps him feel confident enough to beat the best in the world.

Ego is what drives people to excel at the highest levels. Without it, their performance lags, and can lead to serious injury when performing at those levels. These people are literally the best in the world, and their mental preparation is equally important as their physical preparation. If you don't got it, you don't got it, and Biles finally cracked under the pressure. Quitter or no, I'd bet her detractors can't handle the scrutiny of all of humanity.

I don't begrudge her some fucking rhinestones on her leotard. Or stepping aside. Saying her teammates are "backup" doesn't do them any justice; those girls are incredible athletes, on the biggest stage in the world for the first time, without their families, with their idol and leader having to stand down in the middle of the comp, and they still crushed it. Fucking crushed it. Hopefully Biles is able to get it together and compete later this week.

Articles in the WP and CNN about the "twisties" and on why Biles withdrew.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...okyo-olympics/
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...okyo-olympics/

Sounds like she was having trouble in practice as well and had decided to do an easier vault than originally planned and still did it badly.

I think Biles dropped out of the individual all-around this morning

I won't comment on Simone, it's not my place. I can't imagine the stress these individuals put themselves through.

But I can't resist commenting every time I see the Toyota commercial with the legless adopted swimmer. " And we'll call her stumpy ". I guess I'm going to hell for that.

The convo comparing Phelps and Biles. Last I've seen Phelps, he's shilling mental health services on Hulu ads.

The pressure is real and the head game is equally important to the physical. If you're off, you're off. MLB pitchers know this and pass the ball all the time. NFL QB's that can't connect on Sunday just hand the ball off and count on the backs to get yards, while throwing the occasional out pattern to keep the defense honest. Biles did the same. We just haven't had sports to watch in quite a while so we've forgotten this happens all the goddamn time.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I cannot honestly see how any of you believe this other than the news is telling you to do so.
    well, that's kind of a fundamental problem and explains quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Worst case. Phelps screws up and he swallows some water. Bolt screws up and he skins his knees. Biles screws up and she is crippled for life.
    wooley is an expert on being on his knees!

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Anyone can break their ankles at chads gap. The smart ones know when it’s not their day.
    Well said, CS.

12 years of Catholic school, 1000+ Mass, confession, taking a knee to honor a fallen vet (suicide by knife), so yeah.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Fencing saber - I don't get it. They engage and IMMEDIATELY both light up. ??

There's no, like, parrying, back-and-forth, poste counter-poste or whatever. Its just "FIGHT".."SCORE" over and over again. Each "engagement" lasts literally 1 second.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Fencing saber - I don't get it. They engage and IMMEDIATELY both light up. ??

There's no, like, parrying, back-and-forth, poste counter-poste or whatever. Its just "FIGHT" "SCORE" over and over again
    Fencing in general isn't much like most of us envision a "sword fight" to be based on movies, etc.

Well yeah but I watched epee and foil earlier in the week, and those looked at LOT more like swordfighting than saber. At least the action lasted longer than 1 second each engagement.

More action coming from the MTB course drop that Vanderpool crashed on Monday. Neff had a massive huck to flat and then some ensuing drama afterwards, but absolutely technically dominated the rest of the field and that course.

Warning the linked IG video in the Pinkbike article below, is way too loud and , but shows the huck to flat and the uphill pass that decided the race <30seconds later:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/joland...upid-move.html

Seriously, they need to talk more, especially about rad things like Bonetti’s Defense, Capa Ferro, Thibault, and Agrippa.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    More action coming from the MTB course drop that Vanderpool crashed on Monday. Neff had a massive huck to flat and then some ensuing drama afterwards, but absolutely technically dominated the rest of the field and that course.

Warning the linked IG video in the Pinkbike article below, is way too loud and , but shows the huck to flat and the uphill pass that decided the race <30seconds later:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/joland...upid-move.html
    Women’s XC was good riding. Another dominating performance and a rider showing her readiness for the course.

That huck to flat would’ve put me in dentures

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Seriously, they need to talk more, especially about rad things like Bonetti’s Defense, Capa Ferro, Thibault, and Agrippa.
    I find that Thibault cancels out Capo Ferro

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Well yeah but I watched epee and foil earlier in the week, and those looked at LOT more like swordfighting than saber. At least the action lasted longer than 1 second each engagement.
    I always like epee better since the entire body is a target and the rules are different. I tried sabre, didn't like it at all. Foil was fun, but I couldn't be bothered to learn all the rules. Nutmeg would probably know a lot more about it, I only fenced for about two years until I moved. I really enjoyed epee, but there is no fencing club near here.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Fencing in general isn't much like most of us envision a "sword fight" to be based on movies, etc.
    Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    At least this year there's five things more fun to watch on Amazon Prime than that shitshow.
    Benny's watchlist on Prime:
    -Cocoon 1
    -Cocoon 2
    -A whole bunch of Walter Matthau movies

Quote Originally Posted by mfcf13 View Post
    Benny's watchlist on Prime:
    -Cocoon 2
    Wait, they made a sequel? BRB, gotta update my watchlist

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Inconceivable!
    Prepare to die.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Worst case. Phelps screws up and he swallows some water. Bolt screws up and he skins his knees. Biles screws up and she is crippled for life.
    Harlaut got screwed by the judges this year in Big Air, so he drops out of slopestyle the next day.. So many people got pissed, mainly teenagers I assume.. but why huck your meat over mounds of solid ice and metal features if your hard work wont be recognized by the judges or people within the community? Obviously not the exact same case with Biles, but hucking meat is risky in any form. You have to be super calculated and even Harlaut, the best to ever do it at the X Games, has injured himself because his mental clarity was lacking.

A gymnast who has literal moves named after her because no one else will attempt or successfully do those same moves.. almost like those moves are difficult and scary.

I understand athletes are entertainers from a business perspective, but I think people forget that athletes are people too.

I also think its funny that it seems to be the same crowd shitting on Biles that also shit on women in general or have had no previous interest in gymnastics.. maybe thats why I don't give a shit what Biles does.. because I don't give a shit about gymnastics.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcub69 View Post
    I also think its funny that it seems to be the same crowd shitting on Biles that also shit on women in general or have had no previous interest in gymnastics.
    I'd love to see the data that you used to come to this conclusion!