Question MTB Wheel Upgrade - Converting Newer Hubs to Quick Release

Have a 2008 Pivot Mach 5 26” and I am thinking about doing a wheelset upgrade from the 24h XT wheelset that it came with. I love the bike and since I took a few years off (had kids) it is still in great shape so it doesn’t seem worth it to upgrade.

I found a set of carbon rims (Stan’s Bravo 26” 28h) on eBay an bought them last night.

Looking at hubs though and with all the new standards I’m a bit confused. I’ve got quick release (9-speed cassette, centerlock), but I think the newer hub types (at least some) can be converted to QR? I think boost hubs cannot be used/converted to QR, right? Can a non-boost 110 front/142 rear be adapted to QR? Is this a big deal or just a matter of finding a conversion kit? Any disadvantage to a converted setup?

Looking at hubs I’d be be fine with XTR, Hope or I9…but I’m guessing I may be limited. Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EA3E5F6B-887F-45F9-A06E-E5C6F8BC26A0.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	916.8 KB 
ID:	380048

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FD8691C8-4011-4016-92A2-54E6FD5BBCFF.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	367.7 KB 
ID:	380049

Hope Pro4 and Pro2 evo use end caps that are easy to swap, 135mm QR, 135mm through axle and 142mm use the same hub bodies, freehub shells and axles. 100mm QR and 100mm 15mm front hubs use the same hub bodies. 110mm 20mm hubs are available with both boost and 100mm shells.

The same end caps work for pro2 and pro4. You can either buy the hub with the QR endcaps or get them with through axle and caps and switch them out (if you are going used this may be easier to find as user QR end caps are really cheap because so many people have upgraded, and through axle hubs are more common). There is no disadvantage to swapping end caps vs buying a dedicated QR hub. Hope also makes a bolt on axle for 135mm hubs. This does add significant stiffness to the rear triangle, depending on your bike this can be a worthwhile upgrade.

Hope Pro2 (non evo) rear uses a different axle for through axle and QR. Probably easier to avoid these. Pro 2 front is identical to the pro2 evo and can be swapped easily.
    Hope Pro3 end caps are impossible to find, again, avoid them if you are going used.

Hope boost hubs can be converted to QR, but they would be the wrong width for your frame. There are a very small number of frames out there that use boost spaced QR, but they are incredibly uncommon.

Plenty of hubs can be converted, as mentioned above. Hubs that can't be converted can still work with a qr axle adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KYCBDWN...1P7W6A21?psc=1

Regardless, the hub will need to be 142mm. Boost hubs are too wide.

Can you return or cancel the rims you ordered? Whatever they cost, it's not worth it.

Stay very on top of your fork maintenance. 26" 140 mm forks with a non-tapered 1.125" steer tube don't exist any more.

Are the new rims wider? Seems like a lot of hassle. You could try a 1x drivetrain to "modernize". But if not destroying your big ring, also might not be needed.

Best would be spend money on a dropper post.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Best would be spend money on a dropper post.
    this