Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon sucks

Amazon sucks

Why do you buy from them and not support a local business or go directly to the website amazon has redirected to go thru them?

And next-day, two-day, delivery bs. Do you need it that fast? No, you don't!

Bezos and his giant rocket penis thanks you.

Amen. I told my coworker that if he kept buying hardware store stuff through Amazon, one day he would need a plunger immediately and have to settle for next day via Prime. I think he kept shopping on Amazon anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AMZN sells a lot of fake and counterfeit stuff. It's like a giant Chinese warehouse. You have to be careful.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

The obvious reasons for most people are convenience and price. It's a one stop shop with mostly reasonable pricing delivered to your door. I do try to trace products back to manufacturers or other stores but sometimes the source isn't clear, the prices are significantly higher (a little higher is fine), or there is a big wait. The counterfeit point is a concern. Know who you're buying from.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Amen. I told my coworker that if he kept buying hardware store stuff through Amazon, one day he would need a plunger immediately and have to settle for next day via Prime. I think he kept shopping on Amazon anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Totally agree. Way better to shop at Home Depot and Lowes, and you get to help the Christian right to boot.

Amazon is no more evil than (insert giant multinational corporation) that has taken over or is taking over our lives.

Amazon is pure evil.

I’ll find something there and search for the sellers website and buy direct.

Once upon a time things were cheaper there. And the two day prime shipping was actually two day.

I only order there when there is no other option. Bezos is evil
    . . .

Unclear on how Bezos became evil Monty Burns. Not arguing it but he seems like every other billionaire asshole.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Well he's made living in mountain towns easier. Everyone can enjoy what the mountains have to offer without interruption while their goods find their merry way to their doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Unclear on how Bezos became evil Monty Burns. Not arguing it but he seems like every other billionaire asshole.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    It's because nobody needs a billion dollars, ever. And to get that much money you need to be a ruthless cunt of a person. IMO, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Well he's made living in mountain towns easier. Everyone can enjoy what the mountains have to offer without interruption while their goods find their merry way to their doorstep.
    And when those things go missing we have people here that will track then down for you.
    I still call it The Jake.

It can take me 6 months to remember to go to the hardware store for a new hinge for a screen door I rarely use or 3 days if I plug it into the app when I think of it.

I go to the hardware store to browse and get ideas (and I always end up buying something), but I buy shit on Amazon all the time because it makes my life easier.

I tell myself “buy it from a local store” then 3 different stores and hours later order it online.

I wish I coulda heard the crotchetchy dumbasses ranting about the ebil Sears Roebuck company back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Yet another way we incentivize Americans to go live in but fuck nowhere rather than suck it up and live in cities like the Japanese. The shipping rate is the same in NYC as it is anywhere else yet it is much more efficient for Amazon to ship shit to people in cities. People in cities subsidize all those in Jackson buying all their crap on Amazon.

The city people with 2nd homes in Jackson?

Used to take a 8 hr round trip from Wilson to the Walmart Supercenter in Cody to get a new box fan. That's assuming it wasn't snowing and the roads were clear.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Why do you buy from them and not support a local business
    Amazon is a local business for some of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Totally agree. Way better to shop at Home Depot and Lowes, and you get to help the Christian right to boot.
    Heh, I can walk to Do it Best, which is not exactly a mom and pop, but definitely ain't Home Depot.

Amazon is no more evil than (insert giant multinational corporation) that has taken over or is taking over our lives.
    Unless you can name a bunch of other giant MNCs that have their drivers / warehouse staff pissing in bottles and crapping in plastic bags, I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Amazon is a local business for some of us.
    Bezos has tried his damndest to get out of liberal Seattle but it aint working out too well.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Heh, I can walk to Do it Best, which is not exactly a mom and pop, but definitely ain't Home Depot.
    Only in places like Portland, who still has a slightly beating soul, do you even have a choice. Most places in America have no choice. Mom and pop died years ago.

Their all fucking evil. Walmart, Target, Costco, REI. All just wanna be Amazons. And I shop at them all. I do like the brick and mortar/online combo because it makes returns/exchanges easy.

Okay, what about Whole Foods?

Only in places like Portland, who still has a slightly beating soul, do you even have a choice. Most places in America have no choice. Mom and pop died years ago.

Their all fucking evil. Walmart, Target, Costco, REI. All just wanna be Amazons. And I shop at them all. I do like the brick and mortar/online combo because it makes returns/exchanges easy.
    My biggest beef with Amazon is actually the warehouse / shipping end, which seems to be where the bulk of the workplace abuse happens. Any less efficient company, or one that isn't big enough to have their own delivery and relies on UPS/US Post/FedEx - which is more or less every other company - is going to be less bad for their workers. Not a good feeling to know the people who packed / delivered your order are killing themselves to meet Amazon performance metrics.

As far as those other companies, I think it's wrong to lump them all together. I assume Walmart sucks, but I know Costco has a reputation for being a great place to work, and I thought REI wasn't bad either. Nothing like what you hear about Amazon. For tech products, I sometimes buy from B and H Photo, which has competitive prices and to this day closes for Shabbat (Saturday), which is so anachronistic that I think it's charming as hell. I'm pretty sure their warehouse workers don't have to pee in bottles.

I wonder when glade will be back. These threads somehow seem empty without his violent revolutionary rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    I wonder when glade will be back. These threads somehow seem empty without his violent revolutionary rhetoric.
    Now that DD has returned, this thread would definitely be livened up by an accusation of bootlicking.

From my experience chatting with tech/finance employees at Amazon, and other Seattle tech companies, Amazon has a reputation for being a hard ass with their employees. Yes, they pay great, but they seem to have high turnover. This is by design. Bezos wants to burn through his employees and then turn to fresh meat. It's illegal to discriminate against old employees but if you get them to quit by 40, you don't have to.

Yeah, I hear that they try hard to get underperformers to quit before their first batch of stocks vest at 12 months in. Sensible for the employer but shitty.