Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I drove to San Antonio and back last week

Looking for the ‘next best place’ (if you’re following the JH thread, you know living here is becoming untenable for most) and thinking about Texas but as we rolled into Pueblo, CO thought that may be a good spot. Zero research, need to experience a place. The city has nice old bones and a good breakfast spot so it's added it to list of candidates.

Parked in a public lot where I see a shady guy walking around the cars. My girlfriend starts heading towards the restaurant and I hang back and loose track of shady guy. When I go to the back of the Tahoe, he’s standing there looking in back window and I bark at him to get the fuck away from my truck. He hustles away acting like he’s looking for his car, three cars over he tries the passenger door of subaru, it’s unlocked and he’s in it. I tell my gf I’m calling 911 and she’s freaking out about not getting involved. I’m standing in front of this Subaru and giving dispatch a description of the guy as he’s rifling through shit looking at me. He leaves with a handful of stuff as I follow and describe him more. He’s on drugs and sees me, but doesn’t care, poor fella needs a fix. Dispatch says the cop shop is right around the corner, they’ll be there right away. I hang up, watch a cop roll up in minivan, slow down by the lot, then drive away without getting out of minivan as dude is walking back to the lot. Dude returns to Subaru, grabs more shit, leaves. I went and locked the subie before he returned for the third time. I later got a text from Pueblo PD asking me to rate my experience, fucking useless pigs.

Therefore I hate cops and people that leave their doors unlocked. Shady dude was just doing what shady dudes do.

Sounds like Pueblo just got taken off the list.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    Looking for the ‘next best place’ (if you’re following the JH thread, you know living here is becoming untenable for most) and thinking about Texas but as we rolled into Pueblo, CO thought that may be a good spot. Zero research, need to experience a place. The city has nice old bones and a good breakfast spot so it's added it to list of candidates.

Parked in a public lot where I see a shady guy walking around the cars. My girlfriend starts heading towards the restaurant and I hang back and loose track of shady guy. When I go to the back of the Tahoe, he’s standing there looking in back window and I bark at him to get the fuck away from my truck. He hustles away acting like he’s looking for his car, three cars over he tries the passenger door of subaru, it’s unlocked and he’s in it. I tell my gf I’m calling 911 and she’s freaking out about not getting involved. I’m standing in front of this Subaru and giving dispatch a description of the guy as he’s rifling through shit looking at me. He leaves with a handful of stuff as I follow and describe him more. He’s on drugs and sees me, but doesn’t care, poor fella needs a fix. Dispatch says the cop shop is right around the corner, they’ll be there right away. I hang up, watch a cop roll up in minivan, slow down by the lot, then drive away without getting out of minivan as dude is walking back to the lot. Dude returns to Subaru, grabs more shit, leaves. I went and locked the subie before he returned for the third time. I later got a text from Pueblo PD asking me to rate my experience, fucking useless pigs.

Therefore I hate cops and people that leave their doors unlocked. Shady dude was just doing what shady dudes do.
    Have a couple good buddies who live there. Good for mtn biking, house flipping and river surfing. And, apparently, petty theft.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    He dodged a MONSTROUS bullet right there...

All I know about Pueblo Colorado is it was a mailing address in some old commercials.

And now I know it also has tweakers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Pueblo Coloardo is a great place to send your SASE (self addressed stamped envelope) to for more information or a really intriguing pamphlet.

^^dammit beat me to it

cuz the cops dont need yo u and man they expect the same.

1.) Cheap
    2.) Outdoor Access
    3.) Nice Place to Live

Pick 2

HA! Funny timing. I was just in Pueblo a few days ago. For whatever reason, that area East of the interstate by the Target and all the newer shops were full of exclusively female panhandles at every corner. Like a couple dozen. All female. Not one guy. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

I always found Pueblo to be an interesting town with a neat mining history, but it's definitely, em... "interesting" due to the very element you saw. I did have to laugh at the hipster (likely recent transplant) I saw there riding his fixie through downtown. Skinny jeans, thick rimmed glasses, mustache, the works. I just couldn't help but think he left Portland or Seattle for greener pastures in Colorado thinking "Hey! This place looks affordable!" when perusing Realtor.com. And just like all the West Coasters who moved to Mead, CO and were upset about the gas wells, was prolly like "WTF?! Uh oh!" Dude was definitely out of his element there compared to the surrounding vatos and bums. LMAO. That said, the surrounding area IS beautiful and it has good access to the mountains from what I can see, so there could certainly be some appeal if you have a good job and know what you're in for.

RE: San Antonio. Dang! Can't believe we missed each other. Was in Montana for a while and just got back to SA. I would've showed you around!!! Hit me up via PM and I'll hook you up with any intel you want.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    And now I know it also has tweakers.
    is there a place without tweakers?
    swing your fucking sword.

It's still very much still in contention, now that I know more what to expect. Tweakers, shitbag cops, but a great breakfast delivered with a smile by a smokeshow server and of course mountains and shit. At least all the wealthy Bay Area cool kid techbros and Malibu barbies won't be moving there anytime soon, like they are here in droves.

Edit: and I was telling my gf about the SASE and Pueblo in all the PSAs when I was a kid, had no idea what I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    is there a place without tweakers?
    Lets ask Benny.

Back to Back.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    It's still very much still in contention, now that I know more what to expect. Tweakers, shitbag cops, but a great breakfast delivered with a smile by a smokeshow server and of course mountains and shit. At least all the wealthy Bay Area cool kid techbros and Malibu barbies won't be moving there anytime soon, like they are here in droves.
    Don't forget the oppressive heat. But you're right - ain't no techbros or barbies moving there any time soon.

Skiing is pretty far away... if you care about that sort of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    But you're right - ain't no techbros or barbies moving there any time soon.
    Hmmm.... That actually sounds like a net + to me! Points for Pueblo, then. Parvo's prolly getting tired of getting hosed on annual appraisal increases, so the tweakers et al actually might serve as a good shield against such things.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Don't forget the oppressive heat. But you're right - ain't no techbros or barbies moving there any time soon.

Skiing is pretty far away... if you care about that sort of shit.
    Um have you been to his other option (Texas)?
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I remember the address, but I couldn't remember why.

"Can't you see..."

I'm also looking at other parts of Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon (retire to my family farm), Montucky. Told my recruiter take CA off the table, no matter the offer. You can't pay me enough to live there again, and nobody in my field makes more that $200k which doesn't go far in LA with a backbreaking benz lease and debilitating coke habit, which I surely would develop trying to kill the pain of life in LA.

Hold up, I'd like to hear more about living in LA.

Ah, the next best place, this should be a fun thread.
    Pueblo is an interesting candidate, it's certainly a dark horse, and more original than the usual Durango / Flagstaff / Driggs bullshit. Sangre de Cristos are SICK and not too far.
    Along 25, Trinidad seems to have some upside, but YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Along 25, Trinidad seems to have some upside, but YMMV.
    We stopped there and strolled along Dispensary Row for treats that dulled the painful drive across Texas. Wasn't feeling Trinidad, or maybe Trinidad wasn't feeling me. Either way, not on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Hmmm.... That actually sounds like a net + to me! Points for Pueblo, then. Parvo's prolly getting tired of getting hosed on annual appraisal increases, so the tweakers et al actually might serve as a good shield against such things.
    I mean... yeah. Being a shithole will definitely keep those things at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Um have you been to his other option (Texas)?
    Against my will every time I've been.

Pueblo would be about 4,329,192x better than anywhere in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    1.) Cheap
    2.) Outdoor Access
    3.) Nice Place to Live

Pick 2
    Colorado is quickly becoming a game of "pick 1."

Lets ask Benny.
    No tweakers in Westchester, just junkies