Skankin’ Pickle

Ska meets punk

Friend turned me on decades ago.

Then Saw them at a skatepark in my hometown while visiting mom a long while ago. So random.
    . . .

I love skankin pickle. They were the gateway for me to a lot of “third wave” ska (ska meets punk), and the earlier waves. Punk/Ska clubs in SoCal were usually all ages and a cheaper place to go a few nights a week to dance and go crazy to live music.

Thx for posting and the memories!

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Punk/Ska clubs in SoCal were usually all ages and a cheaper place to go a few nights a week to dance and go crazy to live music.

Ah, yes. Same here. Early/mid-90s twas a GREAT time to grow up. I used to love going to live shows on a school night, skanking my ass off, moshing like an idiot, etc. Sigh... good times. Some nostalgic moments just can't be replicated, and the punk/ska scene of our youths is one of them.

Thanks for reminding me of Skankin' Pickle, CS!!! Man, that brings back some memories.

While I like them, I am a HUDGE fan of The Suicide Machines.

It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I learned about them from a friend of mine who grew up in Long Beach. He was friends with a few of them. I have a CD somewhere.

Skankin Pickle! Remember seeing them in Park City when home from College in the 90s.

Think they are from NorCal, and I say that as I was in College in Redlands and we used to be able to see insane good ska shows nearby at UCR Barn and local clubs. Voo Doo Glow Skulls, No Doubt ( they used to be a ska band, its true,) Skeletones, Sublime ( not really ska but on a lot of the same bills) Rocket from the Crypt, Hep Cat, Untouchables, and more I cant remember....

Wow. Woodsy you got some amazing bands live.

That Cali ska vibe is just as good as the original English bands.
    . . .

There’s some irony in a Korean American turning Japanese

I actually prefer this to the original vapors version.
    The horns are nice touch.
    . . .

for energy to skank and mosh to for a 20-22 year old it was amazballs.

Hard to explain Gwen Stefani in 12 hole docs and a Notre Dame cheerleading outfit (ND, get it?!?) screaming ska songs while the horns blow and skinheads propose marriage while crowd surfing

made up for the skiing @ Big Bear, MT High & Snow Summit.

I love skankin pickle. They were the gateway for me to a lot of “third wave” ska (ska meets punk), and the earlier waves. Punk/Ska clubs in SoCal were usually all ages and a cheaper place to go a few nights a week to dance and go crazy to live music.

I bet we were at some of the same shows.

I always thought Skeletones was going to bust big, but didnt. I did see them a few years later open for Fishbone @ the Double Diamond in Aspen.96, 97ish?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I bet we were at some of the same shows.

I always thought Skeletones was going to bust big, but didnt. I did see them a few years later open for Fishbone @ the Double Diamond in Aspen.96, 97ish?!?
    Possibly. i can’t remember all of the shows. Less than $5 to get in made it for simple decisions. The SHARPs always made it all interestingly edgy. I was in SD mostly and sometimes OC and Riverside County. I can’t remember all the shows. I had friends in the band The Shakerz, out in OC, and SD friends and I would drive to see them open for bigger bands. I’m fuzzy on shows seen in LA (I know it happened, but that’s it). I saw No Doubt a bunch, and Sublime and No Doubt sharing a billing was super fun. Dave Wakeling lived in SD in the 90’s, and I saw his band often.

Sublime and No Doubt sharing a billing was super fun. Dave Wakeling lived in SD in the 90’s, and I saw his band often.
    Name:  showdown.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  136.1 KB

This was a hot, dusty fun day

Wakeling was the old guy with the popped color polo

That ^^ would have been SO much fun!

Nostalgia in here
    Was partial to the bosstones for my ska punk/ ska core fix, but that led to Skankin Pickle, Mephiskapheles, Bim Skala Bim, voodoo glow skulls and a bunch of others , usually found on the latest “mashing up the nation” or other compilation cd at Newbury Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Nostalgia in here
    Was partial to the bosstones for my ska punk/ ska core fix, but that led to Skankin Pickle, Mephiskapheles, Bim Skala Bim, voodoo glow skulls and a bunch of others , usually found on the latest “mashing up the nation” or other compilation cd at Newbury Comics.
    I started buying Moon Ska compilations and went from there.

I was at a show (97?) where the Decipticonz asked if anyone could put them up for the night, so I volunteered my house. Turns out we had a mutual friend that I went to college with.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I started buying Moon Ska compilations and went from there.

I was at a show (97?) where the Decipticonz asked if anyone could put them up for the night, so I volunteered my house. Turns out we had a mutual friend that I went to college with.
    Moon! The Toasters!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Moon! The Toasters!
    The Toasters are one of the best, for sure!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    The Toasters are one of the best, for sure!
    Woodsy, AKA

[spyhunter theme]
    Agent de espianage....

MATT DAVIS SPECIAL AGENT!!!!
    [/shm]