Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PayPal is dead to me

I'm probably late to the party to realize this, but after I use the (partial) credit they gave me I'll be closing my account.

Ordered a bike stand online but received a set of commemorative spoons instead.

Contacted the seller and they asked me to ship them back to China at my expense and to trust them that they would refund the shipping and send the item. Um... no. You want them back, send me a shipping label at your expense.

Then they offered me a partial refund of 1/5 my cost if I wanted to keep the spoons. Um... no.

Filed a dispute with PayPal where the same options were provided to me. I refused.

This is where PayPal does themselves in with me... they say I need to file a complaint with a government consumer protection agency, provincial police, or RCMP, and provide proof to them that I have done so. Um... no fucking way.

I called PayPal to complain and after them just repeating their stupid options for 10 minutes I asked to speak to a supervisor or I'll cancel my account if I don't get my money back.

On hold for another 5 minutes the lady says she can offer me a credit of the exact amount I paid, 1 time only, because I've been a customer since 2006. Great... thanks.

Problem is she credited me in Canadian dollars when the purchase was in USD. You lying cunt. Even when they are "doing me a favour" they are underhanded.

Nobody does business this way for online purchases, and I don't feel like I have that buyer protection they suggest I do... I hope they die a slow painful internet death.

/End rant.

Who should I use instead now?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

If you need to use paypal for something, if you pay with a credit card linked to paypal, you can dispute it with your credit card company. Paypal support has been notoriously awful since paypal has existed.

Can you just use your CC next time? The only times I use Paypal vs. a credit card directly are when I: 1) am using my phone (I'm not paying for LastPass mobile) and 2) don't have my wallet on me. 1 and 2 don't happen often.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    If you need to use paypal for something, if you pay with a credit card linked to paypal, you can dispute it with your credit card company. Paypal support has been notoriously awful since paypal has existed.
    I will try to dispute with my CC... thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    Can you just use your CC next time? The only times I use Paypal vs. a credit card directly are when I: 1) am using my phone (I'm not paying for LastPass mobile) and 2) don't have my wallet on me. 1 and 2 don't happen often.
    I sometimes liked to use PayPal when some shop wanted me to create an account to buy... don't need an account for a 1 time purchase and PayPal was a way around that.

But that's done now.

Hopefully this thread gets picked up by search bots. What a BS business model.

Echoing others here - I always use CC for purchases. Have only danced with PP support once and that was enough. Now only use PP for transferring $, usually to mags when satisfying my gear addiction.

"Favor" doesn't have a U in it.

FKN Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    "Favor" doesn't have a U in it.

FKN Canadians.
    Maybe a "favor" would have got the full credit and a "favour" is when you downgrade that to canadian funds for spelling it wrong.

Support your LBS

btw, pics of the spoons?

PayPal sucks and has always been this way.

About 8 or 9 years ago I bought some seats for a track car off of eBay. They arrived in horrible condition (not from shipping, but because they were not as advertised). I filed complaints with PayPal, eBay, etc and they wanted me to ship the seats back at my cost and then once delivery was confirmed I'd be given a refund for the item cost less the shipping both ways. The seller's address looked like a pretty sketchy house in Florida. The shipping both ways added up to $500 or so - I had a bad feeling I'd somehow end up with UPS delivering them without signature (because they love to do that even when signature is required) and I'd be out the entire cost + the return shipping. No amount of pressing would get PayPal to do anything useful, you couldn't get the same person on the phone twice with PayPal, and despite the people answering the phones being very polite they weren't allowed to do anything other than read a script.

Eventually threatened the seller with a credit card chargeback outside of PayPal and he told me to keep the seats and refunded me less the shipping cost via PayPal so the claim would be automatically closed.

Took a $250 loss, threw the seats outs, and learned a valuable lesson: no PayPal claim, go straight to AmEx.

Also, FWIW, the situation with the spoons is a common scam when purchasing from China via drop shipping companies.

Yeah this reeks of a scam and it's doubtful this same scenario has not be perpetrated by the same seller.

PayPal could figure this out or possibly already knows this, I'd bet.

lol oof

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    lol oof
    They're yours if you want them.

Maybe a new ultralight backpacking cutlery set?

Elon Musk is laughing his ass off

PayPal wasn’t bad when it was part of ebay. When they spun it out a few years ago it became the suck. Ironically ebay also sucks now. There’s a thread about that.
    . . .

“A dream flew out of the skylight.” That’s really inspirational and sig worthy.

Venmo just announced they will charge charging a fee on all service gig payments. In addition will charge a fee in instant transfers. Not sure what a non instant transfer is but I need to get it done before the end of July.

yeah, Venmo was bought by ... PayPal. kill by acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    They're yours if you want them.

Maybe a new ultralight backpacking cutlery set?
    NO, Dumbass! Make a necklace out of them and then sell on Ebay for US $350. Say these were the cutlery Princess Di ate with before that joy ride with the Arab dude.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    NO, Dumbass! Make a necklace out of them and then sell on Ebay for US $350. Say these were the cutlery Princess Di ate with before that joy ride with the Arab dude.
    See, this is why I'm not a financial overlord... I keep missing obvious revenue streams.

You do not have silver spoons there from China, so there is that.

Those are some nice spoons, though.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Ok who wants to open the bidding on these gorgeous spoons at, say... 1 pound of Applewood smoked bacon?

I'm concerned that your ad states set of spoons, but one appears to be a fork. What will I receive?

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    I'm concerned that your ad states set of spoons, but one appears to be a fork. What will I receive?
    1 spoon and 1 slotted spoon.