Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Maybe not a scam, but I saw a car the other day with "buy a drink for the bride" on the back windshield, and a Venmo handle all over it. Bachelorette-something-or-other. And it made me realize that I'm completely out of touch with kids these days. Such a thing would never occur to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    No one likes getting scammed, so instead of cash I hand out gift cards that they can redeem at the local smack dealer.
    Especially effective when you are said smack dealer. Promotions are great for generating new customers.

D'y'all have the white-van-selling-speakers scam in your area? In the greater Toronto area it's been going on for decades. A couple dudes in a white utility van stopping people in busy parking lots saying they're audio installers, supplier messed up and gave them extras, so they're trying to sell speakers at a super low price.. They have fake invoices to make it look somewhat convincing.

Not technically illegal because they do actually sell speakers, but they're garbage quality.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    I'm not sure how his story is hard to believe? The need gas money is a long time con. When I worked at BMW of Murray I used to go to the gas station next door to get beverages a lot. One day dude gave me the I need gas money to get home sob story. I flipped him five bucks. A week later I go there and same dude tells me same story, he didn't get any cash that time.
    Did he bolt off like a sprinter and crash into a crowd?!

The crowds of State Street vs. the crowds of 5th Ave. near Rockefeller Center = Not quite the same
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    D'y'all have the white-van-selling-speakers scam in your area? In the greater Toronto area it's been going on for decades. A couple dudes in a white utility van stopping people in busy parking lots saying they're audio installers, supplier messed up and gave them extras, so they're trying to sell speakers at a super low price.. They have fake invoices to make it look somewhat convincing.

Not technically illegal because they do actually sell speakers, but they're garbage quality.
    Haven’t seen that one in a while but yes, I’ve personally gotten the pitch. On a variation of that at least once a year some dude will come into my shop claiming he does parking lots and he has an extra load of tar that came up and would I like my lot re-paved. I figure those dudes are mostly all gypsies.

D'y'all have the white-van-selling-speakers scam in your area?
    Yeah like Bob said they've been around for a long time but I haven't seen them for a while. Straight out of college I answered an ad in the classifieds in the newspaper (it was a long long time ago) and thought I was going to an interview for a real sales job. But I had alreadybeen sucked into the Cutco knife scam in high school, and I wasn't about to fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Bull. Shit. Everyone has heard a version of this story. Just like the "i gave a panhandler some money then watched them walk around the corner and get into their brand new BMW". GTFOH

You people who perpetuate this crap should use smaller cities to make it believable. lmao
    There are a couple panhandlers who work my town. I used to drive a bus route between close to the big box stores where they work and a lower income small town 15 miles away. They would meet up on my bus and commute home together talking about their work day, what was for dinner, what’s on TV, whatever was going on next week…just like they were working a normal job.
    Standing there with a “stranded! Anything helps!” sign…Day after day..

We used to have guys come into the neighborhood dives usually around 10-11 pm selling meat. They'd drive up in an unmarked refrigerated truck saying they need to unload the rest of what they couldn't sell for the day for 40% off. weird hustle.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    The crowds of State Street vs. the crowds of 5th Ave. near Rockefeller Center = Not quite the same
    exactly why your particular anecdote is bullshit.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ies-180962726/
    https://www.portlandmercury.com/port...t?oid=10627133

you want us to believe that a year after a night out with the boys, you ran into the same guy in a different part of The Big Apple (TM) pulling the same scam, recognized him but can't remember if he had a cane or crutches (BIG diff), sternly told him "i won't get fooled again, no, no", and he just ran away cartoonishly into a crowd like he's scared of you or getting arrested?

SchindlerPiste, failed attempt to shit on the poor.

These 'moral dilemmas' are like complaining of the lower class getting a few bucks welfare - the real crooks and scam artists we should be pissed about are condoned or even celebrated for their ingenuity at getting free cash from the masses.

I don't often pay attention to panhandlers, although I have rewarded a really good show put on by someone asking for a handout. If I am worried about how they might spend my contribution, I don't contribute. Simple. Not many bypassing through this backwater though.
    But here is one story: Around when I first moved here, out taking the hound for an evening walk, some young fella with a passenger buried in blankets beside him driving a late model jacked 1/2ton ford with red plates pulls up next to me and asks for gas money. Replied I was walking the dog, no cash in my pocket and besides, the local gas stations are closed. So he asks if there is anyone with a jerrycan of gas nearby. I said I'm new in town and no one I know at 10:30 at night would have a can of gas or care to be bothered by him. Big rant as I walked away how people won't help a guy out. I tossed back as I walked on that it's not the end of the world to park until morning and re-try his luck. I didn't look back to see or hear his response. The sense of entitlement irked me most at the time. If you are down and out, best not to be in a hurry. Or better tell a better story.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Nah, I figure it's kinda like Oliver Twist, there's some boss beggar guy managing all the junior beggars and taking a cut from each. He's the only one making any real money but...
    Bingo!
    His name is Fagin and he has a big mcMansion in Jackson.

I have a lot more respect for the dudes at the Home Depot at 2100S, always a big crowd of people wanting to work. You can drive by there any day and there’ll be 50 guys waiting for someone to choose them for whatever project they have going on. It’s the immigrant equivalent of the gig employment scenario.

On another note, I’ve noticed panhandlers are down significantly here. We used to have folks on pretty much every corner, now I can only think of one dude I see regularly. Used to have a couple of whacked out crazies that frequented West Valley City and I haven’t seen them in a while either.

We’ve had a crazy woman that cleans the sidewalks and trains around shopping carts for years. Every year I give her $50 on Christmas. I tell her to get someplace warm for the night, but I don’t really care what she does with it, if it makes her happy that’s what I’d like, regardless of what happiness is. And yeah, that is more about me making myself feel good, but I can’t save the world and I do what I can.

I do find it kinda funny that some think of this as denigrating the poor. Fuck, I live amongst these people, deal with them daily. I am them. Poor people are just like rich people, some are good and decent people, and some are fucktards that deserve their position in life. (Or underserve as it may be.)

You need to get out of Park City a bit old man. The fact that you posted this makes you sound like a juvenile.

LOL!
    The panhandlers that I always disliked were the guys on 10th Ave. near the Lincoln Tunnel who would insist on washing the windshield with dirty brown water. Not only did they want your money and be loud and obnoxious if you didn't offer up, but they wanted to do it by making the windshield dirty.
    Presently, I am a sucker for vets (and apparently young mothers who prefer gas to cash).
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    ...the real crooks and scam artists we should be pissed about are condoned or even celebrated for their ingenuity at getting free cash from the masses.
    You mean farmers?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    All the crackheads that tried to get money off me were truly crackheads.
    That’s a good one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Don’t the scammers just use GoFundMe now?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well, the really big scammers run for Congress. Or for POTUS.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    On another note, I’ve noticed panhandlers are down significantly here. We used to have folks on pretty much every corner, now I can only think of one dude I see regularly. Used to have a couple of whacked out crazies that frequented West Valley City and I haven’t seen them in a while either.
    Now that you mention it I have not seen any for several weeks. Went downtown today and not even a one.
    Homeless passed out all over the place is another story.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

I worked through a temp agency in the US West mailroom for a few weeks back in high school. Fellow worker and I went for lunch break (I got a sandwich and he had a “liquid lunch” of beer). He proceeded to tell me how he used to make money exclusively by panhandling and explained the math of it.

You ask four people a minute for $. One gives you a $1. Over an hour thats $60. $60/hr.

He only stopped because he got married and his wife made him stop and get honest work so he was now in the mailroom at $10/hr.

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Beggars can be choosers

….
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

So, have we determined if this whole story is bs or just fabricated from threads of truth?

Perhaps a poll? We haven't done one of those in a while. Does the site still allow for polls?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

addicts are the smartest most cunning people around
    they are amazing at getting the average person to help them get what they need
    sure the girl needed the gas because she spent all the money on her boyfriend and hers drug/alcohol habit

if you are going to give someone money go for it specially if it makes you feel good about yourself most people asking for money are supporting their poor mental health and addiction they have no desire to do anything to better themselves
    if you really care and want to feel good donate money to a woman's shelter a recovery program or a homeless outreach program

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Or we leave both contestants in Central Park on a Friday evening with no money or cc's and see which one can get to Staten Island the quickest.
    That's easy these days. Just jump the subway turnstile and you're golden. Hell, most people will hold the handicap door open for you for free passage down to the trains.

Haha, they've been in Portland in the past. My roommate bought a set of speakers from them in 2001 or so, then was shocked, I say SHOCKED, to find out he'd been scammed. It was a rented house with 5 guys in their early 20s, so a big pair of shitty speakers actually turned out to be a pretty solid addition to the household.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    So, have we determined if this whole story is bs or just fabricated from threads of truth?

Perhaps a poll? We haven't done one of those in a while. Does the site still allow for polls?
    Who pays cash for gas in 2021?
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Haha, they've been in Portland in the past. My roommate bought a set of speakers from them in 2001 or so, then was shocked, I say SHOCKED, to find out he'd been scammed. It was a rented house with 5 guys in their early 20s, so a big pair of shitty speakers actually turned out to be a pretty solid addition to the household.
    My buddies dad bought eight of em. Was convinced he got a mega deal, proudly stored them in their packaging in the basement waiting to one day flip them.