Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    6,410

    Any Leads on 11 speed cassettes and chains??

    I'm looking around for SLX 11-speed 11x46 and accompanying chain. Wow, slim pickings... Anyone have anything they want to sell or can give me a lead where I could find them? I found a Deore XT cassette at REI but they don't have any 11-speed chains that I could see. Didn't really want to spend the money on the cassette and not have a chain to go with it so, I'm going to get desperate pretty soon if I don't replace some worn parts. Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    3,618
    Almost all of the chains on Amazon will be counterfeits. Dont get that desperate and go that route.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    1,744
    Get the cassette.

    Then just call a couple local shops, we had quite a few 11s sram chains last i checked and those will work fine.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    71
    Took all of 30 seconds to find:

    https://www.backcountry.com/shimano-...m8000-cassette

    11 speed stuff is easy to find. It's 12 speed that have supply issues imo

    Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    71
    And a kmc chain. Go with the gold one, it's faster


    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    13,574
    Powderpow nailed it. Ebay is good for shimano stuff too

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    2,649
    I've had good luck on universal cycles lately

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    6,410
    Quote Originally Posted by powderpow View Post
    Took all of 30 seconds to find:

    https://www.backcountry.com/shimano-...m8000-cassette

    11 speed stuff is easy to find. It's 12 speed that have supply issues imo

    Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Yeah, found that along with the one at REI. Chains were the bigger problem. I'll see what I can get locally.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    1,006

    11-Speed Chain Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Yeah, found that along with the one at REI. Chains were the bigger problem. I'll see what I can get locally.
    Just went through an extended search for a Scram 11-speed chain ring for a Stumpjumper. Found a couple steel ones and finally scored what might be one of the last alloy ones in the Country with the proper offset. Things are getting tight in the parts market.
    Gravity Junkie

    How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    9,246
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I've had good luck on universal cycles lately
    Yup, they’ve been on top of things during these supply chain challenges.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tahoe-ish
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Almost all of the chains on Amazon will be counterfeits. Dont get that desperate and go that route.
    Ebay too. On a lark I bought an obviously fake Dura Ace chain for like $28. It came in a very genuine looking box, but didn't have hollow pins and was super loud when installed. I returned it, indicating that it was fake, and was immediately issued a refund.

    I replaced it with an XX1 chain from Universal that is nearly as loud. I might go to 12 speed chains for the road bikes, as people seem to be happy with them and the noise is annoying. DA Di2 should not sound like poorly tuned SRAM NX.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,570
    Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Ebay too. On a lark I bought an obviously fake Dura Ace chain for like $28. It came in a very genuine looking box, but didn't have hollow pins and was super loud when installed. I returned it, indicating that it was fake, and was immediately issued a refund.

    I replaced it with an XX1 chain from Universal that is nearly as loud. I might go to 12 speed chains for the road bikes, as people seem to be happy with them and the noise is annoying. DA Di2 should not sound like poorly tuned SRAM NX.
    I thought I was uptight about creaks!! I've never bought counterfeit chains, but I've never noticed a difference in noise!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Trees
    Posts
    809
    PSA. Just picked up a 12 speed NX chain from Backcountry. $28. Seemed like it was in stock so Iím optimistic it will arrive in a few days.

    Recently I bought both 11 and 12 speed KMC chains (or so I thought) off Ebay. They sounded like pepper grinders when mounted up. Both went in the garbage. Live and learn.
    That Don't Make No Sense

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    3,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinfever View Post
    Recently I bought both 11 and 12 speed KMC chains (or so I thought) off Ebay. They sounded like pepper grinders when mounted up. Both went in the garbage. Live and learn.
    They were most likely counterfeits.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Trees
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    They were most likely counterfeits.
    Hear that DH. KMC is my usual brand for chains because the are inexpensive, easy and just work. This batch looked great but worked for shit.
    That Don't Make No Sense

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,570
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    I'm looking around for SLX 11-speed 11x46 and accompanying chain. Wow, slim pickings... Anyone have anything they want to sell or can give me a lead where I could find them? I found a Deore XT cassette at REI but they don't have any 11-speed chains that I could see. Didn't really want to spend the money on the cassette and not have a chain to go with it so, I'm going to get desperate pretty soon if I don't replace some worn parts. Thanks for any help.
    Are you currently down? I can send you take used take offs I keep in case of a break?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,013
    Sun and Ski Sports looks to have some 11-speed.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    6,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Are you currently down? I can send you take used take offs I keep in case of a break?
    No, I'm good. Hooked up by my LBS who got me covered. Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •