Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvelinusconfluentus View Post
    They are charging me 30 some dollars to do it at 5.
    The dealership didn’t give you a year or two of free oil changes for buying a brand new truck? I bought my tundra with 18k miles on it and I got 2 free years of maintenance.

^^^same here

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I'd guess that changing the oil in a new taco would be a walk in the park.

$30 sounds like a deal, especially if it includes some synthetic.
    It's actually pain in the ass. The filter isn't a spin-on type, and you access it from underneath, so you have to drop the front skid plate. It's also too far from the drain plug, so you need a second container to catch the oil, or wait until it's fully drained. The cap is easy to get off, but you need a drain tube to not make a mess. Then the filter canister comes off with a 14 flute wrench, and it takes a bit of leverage to move it.

$30 is a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    You would think, its a canister filter which takes a special wrench not to fuck up the plastic housing while removing. It is very convienent to spill oil though while removing
    Yup. I kind of hate changing the oil on the wife's RAV4.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    You would think, its a canister filter which takes a special wrench not to fuck up the plastic housing while removing. It is very convienent to spill oil though while removing
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    ^^^same here

It's actually pain in the ass. The filter isn't a spin-on type, and you access it from underneath, so you have to drop the front skid plate. It's also too far from the drain plug, so you need a second container to catch the oil, or wait until it's fully drained. The cap is easy to get off, but you need a drain tube to not make a mess. Then the filter canister comes off with a 14 flute wrench, and it takes a bit of leverage to move it.

$30 is a bargain.
    Cripes, $30 for anything on a new vehicle is a good deal, no? Couldn't fill the tank for that.

Well there ya go, even an easy job made challenging and messy, figures...

Even for wrenching types, there's a point like this where you recognize the value in that $30.
    Guy at the shop hates these I bet, compared to other snoozers.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Clearly I screwed those in teetering on top of a cooler after drinking it out of beer. But that board and that tanglefuck of screws have outlasted probably 5 garage fans. I call the board to ceiling coupling redneck rough but blue collar solid.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    Losing it...

Funny how some of the jankiest work lasts forever and stares you in the face constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Funny how some of the jankiest work lasts forever and stares you in the face constantly.
    So true

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    All used oil stinks, what smells is he specifically looking for? All motor oils turn dark after just heating them on a hot plate for a few hrs. They don't even need to be run in an engine. Doesn't mean they're dirty, its just the additives changing color.
    Not. You can tell when oil is dirty vs darkened through heating. Oil will pick up unburnt fuel(especially older gen trucks). You can smell it(fuelie smell).

He has a brand new truck, not a beat up farm truck with leaky injectors.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Am I gonna have to tell you to take a lap?
    Point was to look @ severe duty conditions as he very well may be operating in those parameters.
    Also, what do you think a pcv valve is for. It's nothing to do w/ farm truck injectors
    Leaky injectors will not lead to 440 k on odometer
    Last edited by tuco; 07-12-2021 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I can't bring myself to go with 10K oil change intervals. I do 5-6K on full synthetic, and rotate tires at the same time. DIY, so it's cheap and I can inspect under the vehicle then too.
    This. And it's cathartic.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    This. And it's carthartic.
    fify
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    The dealership didn’t give you a year or two of free oil changes for buying a brand new truck? I bought my tundra with 18k miles on it and I got 2 free years of maintenance.
    They did but they will only do the oil ever 10k. Its just under 5k do they charged me 33 dollars and 70 cents. Thats oil and filter but no labor according to my receipt.

The book says 10k except 5k when you drive in severe conditions which I often do so 33 dollars ain't so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    It's part of the old fan bracket. I left it up there, desperate to get some air moving to dry my boat out. So humid here lately. Literally stuff will stay wet for weeks without air movement.
    Moving air or direct sunlight. The latter is obviously harder to come by. We take a fan when we camp to dry towels and clothes. They can hang on a shady line for days and only get more stinky. A little moving air and they’re dry in an hour. Looks weird having a fan blowing outside but it beats putting on wet clothes.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

2021 toyota tacoma service intervals

They did but they will only do the oil ever 10k. Its just under 5k do they charged me 33 dollars and 70 cents. Thats oil and filter but no labor according to my receipt.

The book says 10k except 5k when you drive in severe conditions which I often do so 33 dollars ain't so bad.
    Follow the manufacturer’s specs so the warranty isn’t voided.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Follow the manufacturer’s specs so the warranty isn’t voided.
    Book says 5k for extreme driving? I dont think they'd void a warranty for having the dealer change the oil too soon?

Book says 5k for extreme driving? I dont think they'd void a warranty for having the dealer change the oil too soon?
    It's fine. You're overthinking this.

If $33 every 5k saves you some piece of mind. That's *maybe* and extra $70 a year on a new Tacoma. Do it. It costs $33 just to buy that much FullSyn and a filter at Costco.

I pay $45 to have my oil changed up the block from work every 3500-4000 miles. 18 yr old 4runner. Biggest benefit in my mind is staying on top of all the wear part service intervals. I internet back checked EVERYTHING this mechanic did on the 4runner for the first 2 years thinking he would upcharge or unnecesarily do work... but the internet generally agreed with him everytime. Now i just trust him when he says its time to flush some fluid, replace some pads, etc. I'm sure stuff is being replaced just on service intervals instead of the actual needed wear intervals, but i would MUCH rather have something replaced too soon than too late.

I bought a 4runner for the set-it-and-forget-it peace of mind. I'm not gonna trip about paying an extra $100-$200/year for that peace of mind, while my buddy does all his own wrenching on his own time and has left us stranded 3 times in various levels of boonies because of his mechanical fuckups.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Am I gonna have to tell you to take a lap?
    Point was to look @ severe duty conditions as he very well may be operating in those parameters.
    +1, all depends on where and how you drive, the road conditions, dust and what kind of a load. A Taco driven around town and occasionally to the trailhead is far different that one used for work.

I change the oil in my Frontier every 7500 and am using Costco Syn and good quality filters but not TOL. I drive up and down paved mountain roads every work day, 2-5K feet of up and down per day.

Do it. It costs $33 just to buy that much FullSyn and a filter at Costco.
    Not really, 2 5 qt jugs is 24-33 bucks and I buy Wix filters for about 11.00 ea. But like others I don't mind changing my oil that much except when its cold, like 10 deg. That said, 33 bucks is a bargain.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

everyone always talks about oil but not filtration...

Bunion did. Post right above yours.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

dude's on top of it!

Anyone got opinions on “lifetime” transmission fluid?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    everyone always talks about oil but not filtration...
    If filter media is too fine, it strains oil pumps and shears oil. Toyota could have designed a multi-stage bypass & centrifugal filtration system for your truck to avoid these problems but elected not to. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Anyone got opinions on “lifetime” transmission fluid?
    If a sealed transmission starts polluting the trans fluid, you're gonna have to open it up anyway. Counts as one "lifetime".

I posted this in another thread before, but Schneider was doing 75,000 mile intervals on their detroit diesels when I worked for them.

My tacoma gets a change in the spring and a change in the fall.