Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

2021 toyota tacoma service intervals

Is it really ok to only change the oil every 10,000 miles?

Probably, but I changed it myself at 5 and 15, between the freebies.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

They are charging me 30 some dollars to do it at 5.

Yes absolutely fine. They use synthetic oil from the factory. 30 years ago my father who worked in the auto industry for 30+ years prior always had me change my oil at 7500 with standard oil. He was a firm believer that the 3.5-5k changes was a deal the auto manufacturers made with big oil to sell more product. I've put over 225k miles on several Toyota models only changing oil at 7.5k - never once had issues with the engines. The synthetic oils are even better the the old standard oil if used on a fresh engine from day one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

I have always been bad at changing the oil in all my crappy cars and they've always kept chugging along but I want to do everything right with my new truck.

Shit that's nothing. My wife's car only gets an oil change every 16000 miles.

Religion, politics, and oil change intervals.

10,000-12,000 mi on synthetic are just fine--anything sooner is a waste. I sold my FJ w/4.0 with 375K on the clock. It got 10-12K changes with syn. Never a problem with the engine.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Agree with the above posts, but since it's the first change go ahead and do it. The assembly lube isn't doing anything anymore, and on the off-chance there's a little metal floating around.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    Yes absolutely fine. They use synthetic oil from the factory. 30 years ago my father who worked in the auto industry for 30+ years prior always had me change my oil at 7500 with standard oil. He was a firm believer that the 3.5-5k changes was a deal the auto manufacturers made with big oil to sell more product. I've put over 225k miles on several Toyota models only changing oil at 7.5k - never once had issues with the engines. The synthetic oils are even better the the old standard oil if used on a fresh engine from day one.
    Agree with this and other posts, 100%. My old man was the same, but only after the first 15-20K of break-in. Not sure how valid that is, but it's something I couldn't shake, and I kinda like changing oil. Been doing 9-10k intervals since the 20k change.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

IME just go with what the manual sez I did that on the 2010 Ranger and it never burnt any oil til i traded it, I don't even think it was synthetic oil just garden variety oil

The dealer kept sending me early service recommendations which i ignored for what the manual sez

the VW TDi you had to use 505 spec synthetic which was 10$ a litre but the intervals were twice as long as gas engines so it only hurt half as much, it burnt about a liter every 4000kms, the oil was always black as coal even after a change
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'd take a look @ the severe duty intervals, if it were mine. I know where I live, I'm pretty much always in the severe duty parameters. Oil gets dirty and picks up fuel. Smell the old oil when you change it next.bMy brother has been doing 2500(it's a 92,standard oil) and that truck runs tits @ 440k. Dirty oil is not a conspiracy

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I'd take a look @ the severe duty intervals, if it were mine. I know where I live, I'm pretty much always in the severe duty parameters. Oil gets dirty and picks up fuel. Smell the old oil when you change it next.bMy brother has been doing 2500(it's a 92,standard oil) and that truck runs tits @ 440k. Dirty oil is not a conspiracy
    All used oil stinks, what smells is he specifically looking for? All motor oils turn dark after just heating them on a hot plate for a few hrs. They don't even need to be run in an engine. Doesn't mean they're dirty, its just the additives changing color.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I'd guess that changing the oil in a new taco would be a walk in the park. Like mounting a pair of bindings.
    But not everyone likes to get their hands dirty, I get that.

$30 sounds like a deal, especially if it includes some synthetic.

TDI spec now is 507.00 and it turns black fast. Like after the first 20 miles.

I can't bring myself to go with 10K oil change intervals. I do 5-6K on full synthetic, and rotate tires at the same time. DIY, so it's cheap and I can inspect under the vehicle then too.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Change the oil every 10k now till she blows. Quit thinking about this. /the end

Is it okay to hang a 20 inch 15 lb ceiling fan from a stainless steel radiator clamp? It was all I could find. So tired of replacing overhead fans in my garage so I bought this pricey thing from Lowes.

Recommended change interval for the clamp? Would frequent lubrication slow metal fatigue?

Sorry for the thread drift. Google failed to give me an answer.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    $30 sounds like a deal, especially if it includes some synthetic.

Right? I’m not sure that would cover oil and filter. That has to be cheaper than DYI.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Change the oil every 10k now till she blows. Quit thinking about this. /the end

Is it okay to hang a 20 inch 15 lb ceiling fan from a stainless steel radiator clamp? It was all I could find. So tired of replacing overhead fans in my garage so I bought this pricey thing from Lowes.

Recommended change interval for the clamp? Would frequent lubrication slow metal fatigue?

Sorry for the thread drift. Google failed to give me an answer.

Is that a handlebar?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

It's part of the old fan bracket. I left it up there, desperate to get some air moving to dry my boat out. So humid here lately. Literally stuff will stay wet for weeks without air movement.

What is more useful in an emergency...a radiator clamp or a Voile strap?

And why is it there when one of the u clamps would have done the same?

The hook that came with the fan was too big for those U clamps. Plus one U clamp is two little wood screws which is a lot for 15 lbs of kickass Lowes ceiling fan. Now utilizing all the little U clamps and old cheap fan bracket. I have no doubt those 4 u clamps will last the life of the fan. The radiator bracket didn't come with an owners manual so I thought I'd ask the collective.

I'm pretty sure that board is gonna need a few more screws...

Wait, you can get a full synthetic oil change for $30? Where?

I'd guess that changing the oil in a new taco would be a walk in the park
    You would think, its a canister filter which takes a special wrench not to fuck up the plastic housing while removing. It is very convienent to spill oil though while removing

I'm pretty sure that board is gonna need a few more screws...

Clearly I screwed those in teetering on top of a cooler after drinking it out of beer. But that board and that tanglefuck of screws have outlasted probably 5 garage fans. I call the board to ceiling coupling redneck rough but blue collar solid.